Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> School Buildings, Is mine still there?
frankbuntain
post 10th Jun 2006, 05:19pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 3,412
It's the wife here - does anyone have any idea if Rockvilla Primary School in Dawson Road Possil still stands or has it been demolished? I attended there in 1954 until it closed when I transferred to Keppochhill primary. I would appreciate any feedback. thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maggie wilkie
post 10th Jun 2006, 07:06pm
Post #2

Resident
Member No.: 17
its long gone my dad went to that school i lived near there

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Jun 2006, 11:33pm
Post #3

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Frank, can you let us have some of your memories of the old school please?

Here it is attached in 1975.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Jun 2006, 11:34pm
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon
...and in 1990!

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 11th Jun 2006, 07:41pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
Aw a kin say it "please" bring back architecture into the wurld .... Lovely 'old' skool eh? blink.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 11th Jun 2006, 07:44pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
OH - And a big welcome tae'ri'boards there frank cool.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 26th Jun 2006, 01:49am
Post #7

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
I've been told that City Public [ in Townhead] has been demolished.

Can anybody confirm this ?.

+Quote Post
GG
post 26th Jun 2006, 08:55am
Post #8

Administrator
Group Icon
I'm sure it's still there - I'll get an up-to-date pic and post it, but here's one from the 70s.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 27th Jun 2006, 12:10am
Post #9

City Key Holder
Thanks very much for the picture, GG. I do hope you're right about it still standing. It's a grand old building.

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Jun 2006, 11:41pm
Post #10

Administrator
Group Icon
It's still there okay Oor Wullie, it's just that it's now difficult to take a picture from the front as there are trees and the new part of the old Allan Glen's School building (now Central College) in the way, but I've taken a few pics and will post the rest tomorrow.

Attached is the first photo, taken today.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
hopalong cassidy
post 16th Jul 2006, 07:14pm
Post #11

Visitor
Member No.: 3,490
QUOTE (Oor Wullie @ 26th Jun 2006, 03:06 AM)
I've been told that City Public [ in Townhead] has been demolished.

Can anybody confirm this ?.

Yes, the libruary is now gone nothing in it's place

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 16th Jul 2006, 08:33pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
If the City Public school was demolished what is the Red Sandstone building in GG's post?

The Townhead Library was demolished and replaced by a new build Library in Royston Road which is a bit more accessible than the where the old library was.

The Sighthill Drop In Centre also has a library.

+Quote Post
Scotty2005
post 16th Jul 2006, 11:34pm
Post #13

Visitor
Member No.: 2,471
It may be more accessible than the Townhead Library for some, but is it more accessible than the Townhead Library could have been at a lesser cost?

Here's what we had:

The asymmetrical front elevation features an entrance to the left, surmounted by a segmental pediment broken by a pedimented niche with statue. Fluted Ionic pilasters flank the round-arched keystoned doorway.

A wide pedimented bay sits to the outer left with a cartouche and 'Townhead Public Library' inscribed on a frieze. A tripartite window with fluted Ionic pilaster mullions sits below, flanked by channelled pilasters with cartouches.

A further entrance sits to the outer right with a segmental pediment, wreaths above a shouldered and moulded door surround, and 'Boys and Girls' inscribed on a frieze. The window to the left is set in a segmentally pedimented bay with a statued niche. The flanking windows are divided by Ionic pilasters and are set in moulded surrounds and keystones. A die balustrade runs above.

The leaded and glazed ribs of the reading room cupola rise from the rear, topped by an ogee-capped ventilator and finial. The pyramidal ventilator of the newspaper room can also be see

The interior features plasterwork, mutuled cornices, brass finger plates, and glazed tiles to both the vestibule and cupola. The newspaper room retains its reading desks. The panelled service desk and wrought-iron balustrade are also retained. The reading room features a blind arcade.
Now we have an accessible large room of no note!

Here's the litany of pretence, incompetence and ignorance which allowed GDC to demolish a building of note and replace it with ... nothing of course.

February 1991: The library is relocated and the building left vacant. Dry rot has been treated, but there is evidence of some further rot. Strathclyde Regional Council is considering purchasing the building, and a decision is due shortly on whether to market it.

August 1993: Glasgow District Council agrees to transfer the building to Strathclyde Regional Council. It plans to demolish to facilitate road widening.

December 1993: Permission to demolish is sought.

1994: Permission is granted, but with conditions on the retention and re-erection of the fašade.

January 1995: Local planners report that the transfer to Strathclyde Regional Council is not now proceeding and the works are unlikely to proceed.

1996: A scheme is drawn up to convert the library into a doctor's surgery.

1997: Local planners report that the condition of the building is being monitored as concerns have been expressed over its structural integrity.

March 1998: The building is demolished.

Scotty.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 17th Jul 2006, 12:55am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Here's what we had:

A building cut off by the motorway approach roads, and the lowest borrowing rate ever. You're typical of the geeks who prefer buildings to services. We now have two viable libraries in the area where previously there were none. This was carried out in a period of Conservative Government and an anti public service attitude where money was not available to refurb delapidated buildings. You may recall there were two serious library disputes when staff were trying to preserve their working conditions and a decent expenditure on the book fund. You mighty be sentimental over a red sandstone building but the local populace were not.

Yes it would have been brilliant if we could have jacked up Townshead Library and transported into Royston Road , fixed the roof and gave it access for people with mobility problems but hey we live in the real world. Not in the cut and paste planet where you live. And i speak as a one time user of Townhead library.

Oh and you missed the bit where the Tories closed Strathclyde region in 1996 leaving unitary councils to pick up the pieces

Now get over to Hidden Glasgow and fantasise about tunnels, wally closes and every Victorian building in Glasgow preserved.

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 17th Jul 2006, 08:30am
Post #15

City Key Holder
Thanks to all who wrote about City Public SS School. A special thanks to GG for the picture. What a grand old building it is. It looks to me [from the picture] that the building is still in use. Does anybody know what it's used for, now. ?.

My primary school, Martyr's [in Barony Street] is a listed building I believe and can be visited by arrangement.

We seem to have drifted also on to the subject of Townhead Library, where I also spent many, many hours of my childhood. It was a lovely building as well. I agree it was a shame it had to go but I also agree that we can't keep everything. I just hope the city fathers can find a way to hold on to as much of this great architecture as they can, within the bounds of practicability.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.