Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adelphi Hotel
stuarty
post 17th Mar 2009, 07:20pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 15th Mar 2009, 11:55pm) *
Stuarty,that must be a new Adelphi Hotel, the orginal definately was I just can't remember if it was next to Boot's or one up from there it was a very narrow hotel I used to pass by it regularly when I worked for Cooper's on Howard St' I"m talking the early 40s, actually 1945.
A WASNT EVEN BORN THEN so a cant say a seen that one

--------------------
gie me a wee minite
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 20th Mar 2009, 05:29am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
QUOTE (murn @ 16th Mar 2009, 12:29am) *
The Adelphi and Boots Murn, this picture is perfect you can see the Adelphi Hotel along just past Boot's then there's Burton's great tailor' and accross Argyle St' was Grant' furniture shop it might have been Arnott &Simpsons across Jamaica St'v from Grants, Glasgow was Glasgow in these days THE Shipyards were relatively busy plenty of work, it's a pity they took the Tramcars away they supplied a lot of work for people also good clean transport, not having any exhaust AH! WELL

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 20th Mar 2009, 05:32am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (stuarty @ 17th Mar 2009, 07:07pm) *
A WASNT EVEN BORN THEN so a cant say a seen that one
Ach Stuarty yur ony a wee bairn

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 20th Mar 2009, 04:52pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
The Adelphi and Boots
I'm trying to remember what was on top of Burton's, I know that the Grant arms was next door and Ithink that might have been the Grant Hotel with the entrance next to the Grant Arms that entrance is now something to do with Transport, at least it was on 2005

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 20th Mar 2009, 05:02pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (stuarty @ 17th Mar 2009, 07:06pm) *
wheres the adelpi murn a canny see it wub.gif
Stuarty, follow Boot's along to the end, and the first skinny building you see that is the Adelphi Hotel Ithink they had a uniformed doorkeeper with a kind of light brown uniform, I know in those days the Central Hotel also had a uniform doorkeeper, Glasgow was a fantastic City in those days, still is, just reduce that crime , It's embarrassing

+Quote Post
murn
post 20th Mar 2009, 06:39pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
QUOTE (stuarty @ 17th Mar 2009, 03:06pm) *
wheres the adelpi murn a canny see it wub.gif

Stuarty if you look at the first picture you can see 'Alephi Hotel' on the Union Street side of the Boots Building. I think all the upper part of the building was the hotel. Not too much info out there about the hotel.

The Adelphi and Boots Murn, this picture is perfect you can see the Adelphi Hotel along just past Boot's then there's Burton's great tailor' and accross Argyle St' was Grant' furniture shop it might have been Arnott &Simpsons across Jamaica St'v from Grants, Glasgow was Glasgow in these days THE Shipyards were relatively busy plenty of work, it's a pity they took the Tramcars away they supplied a lot of work for people also good clean transport, not having any exhaust AH! WELL

A&R, sadly, on the four corners there is now a McDonalds, Italimania, KFC and Pizza Hut mad.gif

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 20th Mar 2009, 06:54pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (murn @ 20th Mar 2009, 06:26pm) *
Stuarty if you look at the first picture you can see 'Alephi Hotel' on the Union Street side of the Boots Building. I think all the upper part of the building was the hotel. Not too much info out there about the hotel.

A&R, sadly, on the four corners there is now a McDonalds, Italimania, KFC and Pizza Hut mad.gif

Yes I know Murn my Wife & I used to go Home every year up until 2005,we saw the McDonald's they have even got a Sterbucks at Charing Cross the place is starting to lok like over here

+Quote Post
murn
post 20th Mar 2009, 09:18pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
more images of the 4 corners. Seems it was the home of Argyle Hotel before the Adelphi.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 20th Mar 2009, 09:44pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (murn @ 20th Mar 2009, 09:05pm) *
more images of the 4 corners. Seems it was the home of Argyle Hotel before the Adelphi.
Hi Murn, these photos are priceless, I guess it was called the Argyle before my time, Iwas talking of the30s,40s & early 50s, I can remember the Argyle Picture House, it was past Lewis's on the same side going towards the Trongate, when I was 15 I used to work for Coopers in Howard St. and I used to deliver groceries all around that area North Brunswick Hotel, but it was mostly offices that I delivered to once again Murn I,m forever in your debt for these photos

+Quote Post
murn
post 20th Mar 2009, 10:00pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Glad you liked them, my favorite thing to do is researching Glasgow wub.gif My time on the corners was in the seventies when it was the dizzy corner tongue.gif Have you read about the forgotten Village of Grahamston?

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 21st Mar 2009, 02:28am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
The Adelphi and Boots
Murn I see the Adelphi Hotel on that corner what year was this and where is that corner I do know that there was an Adelphi Hotel next to Boots, this is getting interesting

+Quote Post
murn
post 21st Mar 2009, 03:48am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Hi A&R the entrance to the hotel was on Argyle street as you said but I think the whole hotel was above Boots. The picture was taken in the 1930s and is listed as a new building.

another wee bit of history wink.gif

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 21st Mar 2009, 05:57am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (murn @ 21st Mar 2009, 03:35am) *
Hi A&R the entrance to the hotel was on Argyle street as you said but I think the whole hotel was above Boots. The picture was taken in the 1930s and is listed as a new building.

another wee bit of history wink.gif
Murn, I think you've hit it on the head,so it really isn't a skinny hotel after all, it would be 1957 to 1959 I my Wife bought children's books in Boot's also I still have a 1966 Engineer's iary that my Wife bought for me on 1965, Boot's had a floor upstairs where ll that kind of stuff was, we moved over here on Feb. 1966, this is good practice for the memory.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 22nd Oct 2010, 10:54am
Post #29

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
The old Adelphi Hotel was definitely at the Boots Bulding on Argyle st, take it or leave it.. thats official..

+Quote Post
*m cheung*
post 28th Oct 2010, 11:56am
Post #30

There was an old Adelphi hotel leaflet for sale on ebay, show a picture of it but no address.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.