Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adelphi Hotel
Agnes & Robert
post 15th Feb 2009, 06:15pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
Can anybody remember the Adelphi Hotel on A rgyle St. It was next to Boot's Chemist, I think it was the narrowest Hotel anywhere, like the Grand Hotel at Charing Cross, all gone I just hope that the Central Hotel doesn't follow suit
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 15th Feb 2009, 06:44pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I don´t recall that one, Robert & Agnes but there was another small, narrow entrance place on Union Street, near Massey´s & Ferguson´s . It was rumoured that they got all their provisions from the Chef at the Central( before my time and so any libel actions are unlikely).

Anybody remember the name of that one?

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 15th Feb 2009, 07:52pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
a thought the adelphi was in st enochs square and an old aqantance called alex forbes worked there or have I got it wrong and did it have its name in red lighting ??????

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
*AGNES & ROBERT*
post 15th Feb 2009, 08:31pm
Post #4

QUOTE (stuarty @ 15th Feb 2009, 07:39pm) *
a thought the adelphi was in st enochs square and an old aqantance called alex forbes worked there or have I got it wrong and did it have its name in red lighting ??????
Hi Stuarty, the only Hotel that I can remember on the St. Enoch's Square was the St. Enoch's Hotel, the Adelphi was a very narrow Hotel next to Boot's Chemist if you blinked Stuarty you would miss it it was really narrow and it used to have a doorkeeper he used to stand at the door in his uniform, I'm talking of the 1930s and 1940s

+Quote Post
*AGNES 7 ROBERT*
post 15th Feb 2009, 08:45pm
Post #5

QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 15th Feb 2009, 06:31pm) *
I don´t recall that one, Robert & Agnes but there was another small, narrow entrance place on Union Street, near Massey´s & Ferguson´s . It was rumoured that they got all their provisions from the Chef at the Central( before my time and so any libel actions are unlikely).

Anybody remember the name of that one?

Hi Bilbo5, I'll have to put my thinking cap on for that Hotel on Union St. I'm talking about the days 1930s & 1940s

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 16th Feb 2009, 07:28pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (stuarty @ 15th Feb 2009, 07:39pm) *
Stuarty, what year are you talking about the Adelphi Hotel in St. Enoch's Square ? it was back in the30s & 40s when I remember the Adelphi Hotel I worked for Cooper's in Howard St. 1946 ,I used to deliver groceries all around that part of town

+Quote Post
stratson
post 16th Feb 2009, 08:12pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
The Adelphi Hotel was in Howard Street St Enoch Square, The only Adelphi that was in Glasgow. Was owned by Peter Fox many years ago. Last time I noticed it was being used to house the homeless men in Glasgow. Oddly enough have passed there a couple of times but never noticed.
Chances are it no longer operates as the Adelphi. At the corner just passed where it was is "THe Lorne Bar".
Will look next time am in that part of town. There's so much building work now with the Centre Mall being extended. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
hopalong cassidy
post 16th Feb 2009, 08:26pm
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 3,490
QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 15th Feb 2009, 07:02pm) *
Can anybody remember the Adelphi Hotel on A rgyle St. It was next to Boot's Chemist, I think it was the narrowest Hotel anywhere, like the Grand Hotel at Charing Cross, all gone I just hope that the Central Hotel doesn't follow suit

The Adelphi Hotel was the same building before it became Boots. It was demolished several years ago.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 17th Feb 2009, 12:36am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Stratson a knew it was there as a used to work in howard street called B and K modes but they were jewish and mr mc gregor love a roll in bacon but he used to say shh dont tell anybody we all used to laugh and say heres the other boss who's name escapes me at the moment and he would run up to the fancy machinists place and finnish it aff hw was so nice but the other wan was horrible . oh happy days laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 17th Feb 2009, 12:39am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 16th Feb 2009, 07:15pm) *
Stuarty, what year are you talking about the Adelphi Hotel in St. Enoch's Square ? it was back in the30s & 40s when I remember the Adelphi Hotel I worked for Cooper's in Howard St. 1946 ,I used to deliver groceries all around that part of town
naw that was in the mid seventies well 1976 to be exact because my da passed away when st ettenne was playing bayer munich in the europian cup andGLASGOW was so vibrant and great day until a got home and was told my da had died 12th may 1976

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 17th Feb 2009, 01:20am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (stuarty @ 17th Feb 2009, 12:26am) *
naw that was in the mid seventies well 1976 to be exact because my da passed away when st ettenne was playing bayer munich in the europian cup andGLASGOW was so vibrant and great day until a got home and was told my da had died 12th may 1976
Hi Stuarty, I think the Adelphi was gone by 1976 I don't know when Boot's closed, my wife,sons and I came over here on 1966, as I said I was talking 30s and 40s, long time ago

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 15th Mar 2009, 11:13pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
I have it on good athority that the adelph is still standin at the bottom of st enochs in glassford st wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 16th Mar 2009, 12:08am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (stuarty @ 15th Mar 2009, 11:00pm) *
I have it on good athority that the adelph is still standin at the bottom of st enochs in glassford st wub.gif
Stuarty,that must be a new Adelphi Hotel, the orginal definately was I just can't remember if it was next to Boot's or one up from there it was a very narrow hotel I used to pass by it regularly when I worked for Cooper's on Howard St' I"m talking the early 40s, actually 1945.

+Quote Post
murn
post 16th Mar 2009, 12:42am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
The Adelphi and Boots

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 17th Mar 2009, 07:19pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
wheres the adelpi murn a canny see it wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.