Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

207 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 1 V
john.mcn
post 12th Jun 2015, 12:17am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

Kem it matters not whether you say they speak for the whole of Scotland or not, they are following through on their manifesto by voting against an EU referendum. They talked about it plenty of times before the election so i dont quite get why you seem surprised or want to 'debate' the issue, they said they'd do it, people voted for them, they did it...end of story..

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Jun 2015, 09:13am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 11th Jun 2015, 09:40pm) *
it does not appear however that the people of Scotland speak with one voice on the issue of whether or not to have a referendum.

This may come as a bit of a shock to you but Scotland (nor any other country) has never spoken with "one voice" on any issue.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 12th Jun 2015, 09:52am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 12th Jun 2015, 11:21am) *
This may come as a bit of a shock to you but Scotland (nor any other country) has never spoken with "one voice" on any issue.

Has Kemedian been hearing voices again? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 12th Jun 2015, 02:49pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 12th Jun 2015, 10:21am) *

Hence, John's point about the debate makes no sense...

QUOTE (john.mcn @ 12th Jun 2015, 01:25am) *
I dont quite get why you want to 'debate' the issue, they said they'd do it, people voted for them, they did it...end of story.

I listened to our MP for Ochil & South Perthshire last night on the telly and, while I agree with her statement below, I can't see why her Party is trying to deny us all the chance to vote, on such a big issue that should matter to everyone.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 12th Jun 2015, 03:27pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Not sure why but this cartoon just came to mind

Attached Image

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Jun 2015, 03:36pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 12th Jun 2015, 02:57pm) *
Hence, John's point about the debate makes no sense...

I listened to our MP for Ochil & South Perthshire last night on the telly and, while I agree with her statement below, I can't see why her Party is trying to deny us all the chance to vote, on such a big issue that should matter to everyone.

Attached Image

Kem it really is simple, if you want a say on SNP policy then join them, if you dont like their policies then dont vote for them. You are neither a member of the SNP or voted for them so you can hardly bitch about what they said they would do if people voted for them. Again it was in their manifesto and they have a record of at least trying to stick to it so it should come as no surprise that they actually did what they said they would do. i know it's shocking in this day and age of political parties campaigning on an issue and once in a coalition doing the complete opposite but you'll just have to accept that the SNP are the political equivalent of Ronseal, they do exactly what it says in the manifesto.

Oh and the MP for Ochil & South Perthshire is not 'our', 'your' or 'my' MP, she represents people from her constituency not Renfrewshire east, North Lanarkshire or anywhere else.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 12th Jun 2015, 04:10pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 12th Jun 2015, 04:44pm) *
it was in their manifesto... they do exactly what it says in the manifesto.

I never said it wasn't. But we can still disagree, right???

QUOTE (john.mcn @ 12th Jun 2015, 04:44pm) *
Oh and the MP for Ochil & South Perthshire is not 'our', 'your' or 'my' MP, she represents people from her constituency not Renfrewshire east, North Lanarkshire or anywhere else.

Sheesh! huh.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 12th Jun 2015, 04:17pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (ashfield @ 12th Jun 2015, 04:35pm) *
Not sure why but this cartoon just came to mind

Attached Image

Spot on Ash. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 12th Jun 2015, 04:20pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Same to you, Ashfield, and anyone else who jumps in.

Is this what you get online for disagreeing with the SNP nowadays?

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Jun 2015, 05:11pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 12th Jun 2015, 04:18pm) *
I never said it wasn't. But we can still disagree, right???

Disagree about what exactly, do you disagree that the SNP are doing what they said they would do? Should they have about turned on what they said they would do when people voted for them, i say that if they did you would have a problem with that as well. What you have done is started an EU ref which is nothing more than an anti SNP rant, that is your tactic and it is as clear as water from the tap

Sheesh! huh.gif

You say she is 'our' mp but it is 'her' party. How can she be our mp when we dont reside in her constituency but you stop short at association with the SNP, going by your logic then surely if she is 'our' MP then the SNP is also our party.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 12th Jun 2015, 05:15pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 12th Jun 2015, 04:28pm) *

Disagree with them by all means but at least try to have a coherent argument, saying the SNP failed their first test when in fact they did exactly what they said they would do is bordering on the type of crap coming from the morons in fleet street.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 12th Jun 2015, 06:52pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
It's the policy that I'm calling out, John. You'll find my argument, if you wish to debate it, in my original post.

Yes, it's about the SNP - now Scotland's voice at Westminster - which has turned coat and now stands in the way of this referendum. And before you repeat yourself again, last year's referendum was the best thing that's ever happened to the Party. Plus, it stands a very good chance of being on the winning side this time. So, what's it got to lose?

The Party should be prepared to engage in this and any important referenda and should not, in my opinion, make policy to avoid doing so. I doubt whether this particular policy had too much of a bearing on the Scottish electorate's choice anyway, so to argue that Scots are against having another referendum on this basis (when you are in favour yourself) is questionable; for which reason I am proposing a poll of GG members.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 13th Jun 2015, 07:54am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Kemedian @ 12th Jun 2015, 05:28pm) *

Oh did you recognise yourself without me offering a name rolleyes.gif

Perhaps you could try dropping the yah, boo, hiss argumentitive style in your posts unsure.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 13th Jun 2015, 08:05am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
IRT Kem

What they've got to lose is their credibility, campaign on one thing and do a complete U turn within weeks is best left to other parties.

I never said anything about the people in Scotland being against a EU referendum or not.

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 13th Jun 2015, 10:28am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Surely when you vote for a party it's because you agree with most of what they stand for. It doesn't mean that you agree with everything they stand for. So there could be many Scots who don't want to stay in the EU but it was only one issue that they didn't agree with when they voted for the SNP. Therefore, all Scots should be entitled to vote in the referendum.

+Quote Post

207 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.