Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

161 Pages V  « < 157 158 159 160 161 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On This Day In .....................
Rating 5 V
Doug1
post 12th Aug 2017, 08:43pm
Post #2371

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Artist Allan Ramsay died on this day in 1784 in Dover, at the age of 70. Ramsay was famed as a fine portrait painter and among his subjects were Flora MacDonald (pictured), King George III, David Hume and Queen Charlotte.
Ramsay's career in art came to an end in 1770 when he dislocated his right arm in an accident. He lived out most of his final years in Italy, the country in which he and his second wife Margaret Lindsay had travelled extensively.
Ramsay's portrait of the Duke of Argyll was used on Royal Bank of Scotland banknotes and his many paintings of King George III were commissioned by the king for him to distribute to visiting ambassadors.
Attached Image

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 16th Aug 2017, 12:48pm
Post #2372

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in...

1777 France declares a state of bankruptcy.

1829 - The "Siamese twins," Chang and Eng Bunker, arrived in Boston, MA. They had come to the Western world to be exhibited. They were 18 years old and joined at the waist.

1858 - A telegraphed message from Britain's Queen Victoria to U.S. President Buchanan was transmitted over the recently laid trans-Atlantic cable.

1896 Gold is discovered in the Klondike of Canada's Yukon Territory, setting off the Klondike Gold Rush.

1930 - The first British Empire Games were held at Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The event is now called the British Commonwealth Games.

1958 Madonna [Louise Veronica Ciccone], entertainer and singer born

1960 - Cyprus was granted independence by Britain.

1965 The Watts riots end in south-central Los Angeles after six days.

1977 Elvis Presley dies of a heart attack in the upstairs bedroom suite area of his Graceland Mansion in Memphis, Tennessee.

1995 - Voters in Bermuda rejected independence from Great Britain.

1999 - In Russia, Vladimir V. Putin was confirmed as prime minister by the lower house of parliament.

2012 In South Africa police fire on striking mine workers, killing at least 34.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel
post 16th Aug 2017, 01:35pm
Post #2373

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

Today is National Aboriginal Day
Today's Features:
1749 - Edward Cornwallis founds settlement at Halifax with 2,576 English colonists.
1919 - Two Killed on Bloody Saturday in Winnipeg General Strike.
1957 - Ellen Fairclough sworn in as Canada's First woman Cabinet Minister; Diefenbaker first PC PM in 22 years.

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 16th Aug 2017, 02:04pm
Post #2374

Mega City Key Holder
Scottish songwriter Lady Carolina Nairne was born on this day in 1766. Lady Nairne (nee Oliphant) was born in the village of Gask in Perthshire, into a family with strong Jacobite sympathies; she was named in honour of Prince Charles Edward Stuart (Bonnie Prince Charlie).
She was a collector of traditional Scottish songs and also composed her own tunes, many with strong political messages, under the name 'Mrs Bogan of Bogan'.
Among her best known songs are Charlie is my Darling and Will ye no Come Back Again.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 17th Aug 2017, 06:39am
Post #2375

Mega City Key Holder
Scotland suffered heavy losses at the Battle of Verneuil on this day in 1424, part of the Hundred Years' War. More than 4,000 Scottish soldiers were killed in the fighting, where French and Scots were pitched against the forces of England's King Henry VI.

The bloody battle was later described as a 'second Agincourt' and Scotland's future military prospects were damaged by the deaths in battle of two leaders - the Earl of Douglas and the Earl of Buchan. The defeat saw an end to Scotland's participation as a nation in the Hundred Years' War, although individual mercenaries stayed on to fight alongside the French.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 18th Aug 2017, 06:45am
Post #2376

Mega City Key Holder
Jacobite noble Arthur Elphinstone, Lord Balmerino, was executed for treason on this day in 1746 at the Tower of London. Elphinstone was the son of John Elphinstone, the 4th Lord Balmerino, who had resigned his commission in the British army to join the Jacobite cause when King George I ascended the throne.
After his capture at the Battle of Culloden, Elphinstone was taken to London and was beheaded alongside the Earl of Kilmarnock. During the trial, the two men's attitudes differed greatly - whilst Kilmarnock claimed to have only joined the Jacobite cause because 'I cared not a farthing which (king) prevailed but I was starving', Elphinstone declared:
If I had a thousand lives, I would lay them down in the same cause.
Attached Image

Also on this day..

1227 - The Mongol conqueror Ghengis Khan died.

1587 - Virginia Dare became the first child to be born on American soil of English parents. The colony that is now Roanoke Island, NC, mysteriously vanished.

1958 - Vladimir Nabokov's novel "Lolita" was published.

2004 - Donald Trump unveiled his board game (TRUMP the Game) where players bid on real estate, buy big ticket items and make billion-dollar business deals.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 19th Aug 2017, 11:22am
Post #2377

Mega City Key Holder
The Jacobite Standard was raised at #Glenfinnan on this day in 1745

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 19th Aug 2017, 11:37am
Post #2378

Mega City Key Holder
REF. The Glenfinnan post. My apologies for entering two photos. The lower one being the correct one blush4.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 22nd Aug 2017, 09:46am
Post #2379

Mega City Key Holder
The Battle of the Standard was fought on this day in 1138 at Cowton Moor near Northallerton. The battle pitched the Scottish forces of King David I of Scots (pictured) against the forces of King Stephen of England, which were led by William of Aumale.
This was the third time that King David's army had entered England in support of Matilda, the rival claimant to the English throne, but the Scots were halted at the Battle of the Standard. After no more than three hours, they were forced to flee the battlefield with up to 10,000 men killed or injured, yet few English losses.
The battle is named for the various religious standards under which the separate English militia units fought.
Attached Image

Also on this day..

1485 - The War of the Roses ended with the death of England's King Richard III. He was killed in the Battle of Bosworth Field. His successor was Henry V II.

1642 - The English Civil War began when Charles I called Parliament and its soldiers traitors.

1851 - The schooner America outraced the Aurora off the English coast to win a trophy that became known as the America's Cup.

1910 - Japan formally annexed Korea.

1932 - The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) began its first TV broadcast in England.

1986 - Kerr-McGee Corp. agreed to pay the estate of the late Karen Silkwood $1.38 million to settle a 10-year-old nuclear contamination lawsuit.

1642 - The English Civil War began when Charles I called Parliament and its soldiers traitors.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 23rd Aug 2017, 02:42pm
Post #2380

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in..

On 23 August 1305, there was a carnival atmosphere in London. William Wallace was to be publicly executed. Who was this man who inspired such hatred from the English but such devotion in Scots?
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 24th Aug 2017, 03:49pm
Post #2381

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in..

79 Mount Vesuvius erupts destroying Pompeii, Stabiae, Herculaneum and other smaller settlements.

0410 - The Visigoths overran Rome. This event symbolised the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

1572 Some 50,000 people are put to death in the ‘Massacre of St. Bartholomew’ as Charles IX of France attempts to rid the country of Huguenots.

1814 British troops under General Robert Ross capture Washington, D.C., which they set on fire in retaliation for the American burning of the parliament building in York (Toronto), the capital of Upper Canada.

1847 Charlotte Bronte, using the pseudonym Currer Bell, sends a manuscript of Jane Eyre to her publisher in London.

1949 - The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) went into effect. The agreement was that an attack against on one of the parties would be considered "an attack against them all."

1981 Mark David Chapman sentenced to 20 years to life for murdering former Beatles band member John Lennon.

2006 Pluto is downgraded to a dwarf planet when the International Astronomical Union (IAU) redefines "planet."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 25th Aug 2017, 03:22pm
Post #2382

Mega City Key Holder
A very happy birthday to Sir Sean Connery, who was born this day 25th August 1930 in Fountainbridge, Edinburgh.
He was brought up in Edinburgh and worked as a milkman before joining the Royal Navy, from which he was discharged on medical grounds. He moved onto other work, including lifeguarding at Portobello Swimming Pool and working as a life drawing model at the Edinburgh College of Art.
After working backstage at the King's Theatre in Edinburgh, Connery took on a number of minor acting roles, before achieving worldwide fame through his starring roles in seven James Bond films:
Dr No (1962)
From Russia With Love (1963)
Goldfinger (1964)
Thunderball (1965)
You Only Live Twice (1967)
Diamonds are Forever (1971)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 28th Aug 2017, 12:26pm
Post #2383

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in...

1609 - Delaware Bay was discovered by Henry Hudson.

1833 - Slavery was banned by the British Parliament throughout the British Empire.

1914 Three German cruisers are sunk by ships of the Royal Navy in the Battle of Heligoland Bight, the first major naval battle of World War I.

1939 - The first successful flight of a jet-propelled airplane took place. The plane was a German Heinkel He 178.

1963 One of the largest demonstrations in the history of the United States, the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, takes place and reaches its climax at the base of the Lincoln Memorial when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivers his "I have a dream" speech.

1990 - Iraq declared Kuwait to be its 19th province and renamed Kuwait City al-Kadhima.

1996 - A divorce decree was issued for Britain's Charles and Princess Diana. This was the official end to the 15-year marriage.

1998 - The Pakistani prime minister created new Islamic order and legal system based on the Koran.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 29th Aug 2017, 09:13pm
Post #2384

Mega City Key Holder
The islanders of St Kilda were evacuated at their own request on this day in 1930. The evacuation came after years of hardship for the islanders, which had seen the population of the island halve to just 37 people in the space of eight years.
The St Kilda archipelago had been occupied by humans for up to 2,000 years but a number of factors, including outbreaks of illness, crop failure and the outbreak of World War I had led to it becoming more difficult for the islanders to maintain their self sufficiency. An increase in curiosity about the islanders and their way of life had also caused problems for the islanders, as tourists sometimes brought with them disease - a visiting ship had brought in cholera and smallpox in the eighteenth century.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 30th Aug 2017, 12:00pm
Post #2385

Mega City Key Holder
Polar explorer Admiral Sir John Ross died on this day in 1856 at the age of 79. Ross, who was born at Stranraer, first went to sea at the age of nine, as a Royal Navy ship's apprentice. He greatly influenced his nephew, Captain Sir James Clark Ross, with whom he undertook several Arctic voyages. Sir John Ross led three voyages to discover the North West Passage, but was unsuccessful each time, although he did gather valuable data on the state of ice in the area.
One of Ross's final voyages, which he undertook in 1850, was a trip to discover the fate of explorer John Franklin, who had gone missing on an Arctic voyage. Ross was unable to find any sign of Franklin or his crewmates and the deceased members of Franklin's voyage were eventually discovered in 1854 by Dr John Rae.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 157 158 159 160 161 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.