Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

25 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is The Union Already Lost?, Referendum: 18th September 2014
JAGZ1876
post 17th Jan 2014, 07:01pm
Post #256

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Dylan @ 17th Jan 2014, 07:12pm) *
This is not a straight fight between the SNP and the Tories regardless what the SNP and Salmond say.

Why didn't you you highlight James post as well?

And when did Alex Salmond or anyone else from the SNP say that it was a straight fight between them and the Tories?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 17th Jan 2014, 07:27pm
Post #257

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Dylan @ 17th Jan 2014, 08:12pm) *
The people of Scotland have more sense.!

More than you, I sincerely hope!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 17th Jan 2014, 07:55pm
Post #258

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Why do people think that voting YES for Scottish Independence, think they are voting for the SNP.

When Scotland becomes Independent, there will be Elections to Elect our own choice of Political Party to Govern Scotland. That will be better that at present, when we get whatever Party England votes for.

The Corries

A Parcel O' Rogues

http://youtu.be/Js7x3u2GHYs

Scotland the Brave

http://youtu.be/kK6LkpfZ94s

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 17th Jan 2014, 08:34pm
Post #259

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Why are people who are voting YES ,now trying to distance themselves from the SNP & Salmond.

Of course I know the answer !

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 17th Jan 2014, 08:37pm
Post #260

Mega City Key Holder
Sharp as a butter-knife as usual ! tongue.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 17th Jan 2014, 08:51pm
Post #261

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dylan @ 17th Jan 2014, 08:51pm) *
Why are people who are voting YES ,now trying to distance themselves from the SNP & Salmond.

Don't you mean why are the people who are voting NO distancing themselves from the Tories and Cameron?

What is the answer that only you alone know?

+Quote Post
wombat
post 17th Jan 2014, 09:24pm
Post #262

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (*james1947* @ 16th Jan 2014, 08:27pm) *
I will probably vote No.

Can I also make a comment on Maggie regarding the dreaded poll tax. Think about it, you're wanting to try something out, where are you going to do it? Mmmm how about somewhere you have no MP's, somewhere if it doesn't work then it wont make a blind bit of difference to staying in government, somewhere that you can shaft the opposing party..
Where would you pick? No Brainer....Scotland.

tongue.gif and you think people shood vote for merr of the same pal?
the people of Scotland are no ' lab rats'' tongue.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
jaygee
post 17th Jan 2014, 09:25pm
Post #263

Settling In
Member No.: 2,097
I am not a member of the SNP or any political party but I do pay attention to what happens in Holyrood. I see a constant personalised attacks on the First Minister.
Is this the only weapon the opposition can use because in general in these times of budget cuts from Westminster he and his party have done an outstanding job for the people of Scotland
Maybe just maybe after independence they can come up with MSPS who will be capable of having a political argument without resorting to snide remarks and bitching when they lose an argument.
At present I think there are quite a few career politicians realizing that their plans for knighthoods, ermine, and a taste of the London good life for the political class may be disappearing soon.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 17th Jan 2014, 09:34pm
Post #264

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (jaygee @ 17th Jan 2014, 09:42pm) *
t I think there are quite a few career politicians realizing that their plans for knighthoods, ermine, and a taste of the London good life for the political class may be disappearing soon.

tongue.gif its only a BRIBE dressed up as sumthin else pal tongue.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 18th Jan 2014, 02:19pm
Post #265

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,702
QUOTE (Dylan @ 17th Jan 2014, 08:51pm) *

And the answer is... because the people of Scotland will deliver THEMSELVES from ALL parties that are responsible for turning Scotland into a bitch and doormat. And the SNP can only identift themselves any longer as a REACTIONARY party in regard to the other "Big 3" Unionists. As such they`ve lost their own direction. So, tata SNP. Roll on 2016 when, I guarantee you, there will be NO shortage of NEW parties chomping at the bit for a slice of the action. Including your 2 faced ex-Unionist hypocrit parties.

Voting YES means NOT having to vote for the SNP in 2016. How`s that for a 2016 election slogan? Think I should copyright that, Dylan? Or have you beat me to it?

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
**james1947**
post 18th Jan 2014, 06:38pm
Post #266

Think you missed the point there jagz, if we vote yes (to which I am still undecided) and the SNP get back in, it will not be our decisions that count, it will be the SNPs who will as in the past overide the majority of the people..

+Quote Post
**james1947**
post 18th Jan 2014, 06:52pm
Post #267

Wombat..no-one mentioned voting for the Tories. What I made was an observation in regards to the poll tax which everyone (with every right too) in Scotland moans about.
My main point was that if we vote yes..and the SNP stay in power, then they will carry on disregarding the majority feeling of the Scottish people and make decisions to suit themselves...
P.s
I also dont think any of the other parties would be any better..hence the indecision about the yes or no vote..

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 20th Jan 2014, 08:55am
Post #268

Mega City Key Holder
From a Yorkshire Scottish resident:-

Yorkshire folk are nostalgic, and in our own way nationalistic. Overheard Yorkshire accents often lead to enquiries of ‘where are you from’, as if somehow being from God’s own country is some kind of mystical bond. When I lived in Oxford I found that this northern-ness became a part of my identity, a means of separating myself from the dreaded southerner (in Scotland, I feel no need to make that distinction). I can understand entirely why Yorkshire people in the South East end up with such massive chips on their shoulders. When I lived down south I came to understand that this was the centre of the universe. People actually do vote Tory there, prosperity for the few is disgustingly present and the North was completely ‘other’, romanticised or ridiculed and without any real power. The North of England is rarely taken into consideration, and Scotland – well that’s another country.

It was there that I became a Yes voter. Witnessing the power of wealth in the south of England convinced me that we should take this historic opportunity to break away. The idea that we are abandoning the north of England disregards the working class across the UK, and is rooted in lefty nostalgia. It also places too much faith in the Labour Party, although Scottish voters are not needed for Labour to win in the UK.

We have a choice between nostalgia and moving forward. I think that the Better Together position is nostalgic, and with a rosy view of the United Kingdom as a happy union which works. It doesn’t, not for Northerners and not for Scots. Power is so centralised within the UK that the only way that North Britain can win any of this back is by breaking away."

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 20th Jan 2014, 09:35am
Post #269

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
QUOTE (Ruchazie Rat @ 18th Jan 2014, 02:36pm) *
And the answer is... because the people of Scotland will deliver THEMSELVES from ALL parties that are responsible for turning Scotland into a bitch and doormat. And the SNP can only identift themselves any longer as a REACTIONARY party in regard to the other "Big 3" Unionists. As such they`ve lost their own direction. So, tata SNP. Roll on 2016 when, I guarantee you, there will be NO shortage of NEW parties chomping at the bit for a slice of the action. Including your 2 faced ex-Unionist hypocrit parties.

Voting YES means NOT having to vote for the SNP in 2016. How`s that for a 2016 election slogan? Think I should copyright that, Dylan? Or have you beat me to it?

You keep it RR as I would never consider voting SNP.

Copyright it ASAP or Salmond will nick it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 20th Jan 2014, 09:52am
Post #270

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (*james1947* @ 18th Jan 2014, 06:55pm) *
Think you missed the point there jagz, if we vote yes (to which I am still undecided) and the SNP get back in, it will not be our decisions that count, it will be the SNPs who will as in the past overide the majority of the people..

Sorry for not replying to you sooner James but i have only now just noticed your post.

I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make then James?

If the SNP win the first Holyrood election after independence then the People of Scotland will have exercised their democratic right to elect the government of their choice.

I don't really see the SNP continuing for much longer in their current guise after independence as members will splinter off to (or form) other parties that will represent their left or right wing leanings, i know i will no longer need to vote for the only party who could deliver my desire to see Scotland independent.

As i said in my previous post to you, the referendum is about Scotland making decisions for ourselves James not whether the SNP speaks for the people or not.

Could you also answer my question to you, as you are probably going to vote NO could tell me why you think giving the Tory party the green light to rule Scotland as they see fit is going to benefit the people of Scotland?

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.