Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Maryhill Area Picture, Collina Street
Tom
post 12th May 2005, 03:45pm
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 65
This section of Maryhill is due for demolition the houses are empty.But they seem to be in good condition.Does anyone know what will replace them,will it be high rises.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marguerite
post 12th May 2005, 03:53pm
Post #2

Settling In
Member No.: 1,551
A great picture Tom I guess it will be high rises that's what they are building now like the Gorbals.

--------------------
I'M a newcomer please don't scold me

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 12th May 2005, 07:53pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Given that they have just demolished Ruchill and failed to build a high rise it is more likely that detached housing for owner occupiers will be buit.

It should be noted that Glasgow will be demolishing high rise property over the next few years.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 12th May 2005, 07:54pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
The demolition is already underway,there is a recent picture posted in the Maryhill section.No plans for hi rises here at all.They may follow the successful Queens Cross development but the papers tonight have published the first details of the redevelopment.The old Burgh Halls will form the core of a new leisure centre around which this area will gradually be redeveloped.I saw the plans for this last September and they were pretty impressive with an atrium going into the courtyard .Its excellent if they manage to retain this old building as part of the new valley.

Link Expired.

This post has been edited by GG: 7th Jan 2007, 07:30pm

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 12th May 2005, 08:44pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Hi Scotslad thanks for the info its nice of you to keep us up to date wink.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Jan Williams
post 13th May 2005, 07:52am
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 628
Correct me if I am wrong, but Maryhill Burgh halls look sturdy to me, where have all these building gone to. They are not built to last these days.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 13th May 2005, 08:56pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Jan...Doors open day has been an event in my kids upbringing...they have been out and about on this day....carried on my back/toddled through whatever they could manage/till they came to love it..and they have seen some awsome places.These days they buck it mostly but I know for sure they will eventually appreciate what this city means because they have learned so much more about the city than I ever knew.
2 years ago on doors open day..the Burgh Halls was opened and me .the kids my brother and his kids planned to include it and we failed cos we got involved in a long lunch in the city centre.

Last Sept Ross and I went in and met the architects responsible for the new plans and it was fascinating.The building was stinking,possibly dry rot but the framework was still in place and it was visually stunning.Because we knew a bit about the building the guys were brilliant with Ross and he got a conducted tour...a lot of what we know about it stems from Wee Mags and we are grateful for all her local knowledge.To see it converted into a modern building providing local services would be awsome.

This post has been edited by scotslad90: 14th May 2005, 03:15am

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 14th May 2005, 03:29am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Hi Scotslad .I was looking through a bunch of old stuff, and what was there but an advertisement of the Old Maryhill Book being released it was going to be shown at the burgh hall noo am awe chuffed wae maself a cannae help it, it has a photo of the front of the Old Maryhill on it the one of the old butney brae,
my son gave me the book one time "jist because your you Ma" ,nice wee boy,even if he is heid an shooders taller than me or as the yank wid say Mags everyone,s taller than you ohmy.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 14th May 2005, 03:49am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
The point Mags is that you might be vertically challenged.....join the club at 5.9 am vertically challenged now as well all three match me or surpass me... how do you threaten a kid who is taller than you..outsmart him with your knowledge or keep a stool handy.... think I need to be a bit smarter.Keep the info coming Mags

+Quote Post
JMCF
post 15th May 2005, 07:51pm
Post #10

Settling In
Member No.: 1,679
Hi Ian,

just wondered when I looked at the photo of the Maryhill Burgh Hall, was the architect Alexander "Greek" Thomson.

Janis.

+Quote Post
MyLittleEye
post 5th Jul 2018, 07:01pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 27,080
Here's a 3d Google Maps view towards Collina Street from above Lock 21 in 2018 - It's a shame the buildings were demolished before Street View was available; just a wee bit too late!

https://goo.gl/maps/Wjx244znPd52

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.