Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rounders Or Other Street Games, history
big tommy
post 17th Oct 2005, 12:32pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
cool.gif One of our favourite street games was rounders.

The Americans call it Baseball ,as do Canadians , but nevertheless it was a street game we called rounders.

We used to play this in the street,:- Crossburn Street

I think the reason we liked this was some adults used to join in. We formed 2 teams and if we played this after our tea the adults did not always notice that it was past our bedtime and we got to stay up later.

It did not seem to matter which team won.

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
karyn
post 18th Oct 2005, 06:58pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,418
tongue.gif kirby is the all time classic.....

--------------------
away in a dwalm

+Quote Post
keelie gal'
post 19th Oct 2005, 01:43pm
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,406
kirby was brilliant biggrin.gif

--------------------
keelie gal'

+Quote Post
sumac
post 22nd Aug 2006, 08:24pm
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
How did we play that again? My old memory is dim (and so are you, I hear hubby say!).

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 29th Mar 2011, 04:13pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
you and your mate stood on opposits sides of the road, and you threw a ball and tried to
bounce it off the opposite kirb. Hence kirby.

Anyone played kick the can?
chap the door and run away?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 29th Mar 2011, 04:40pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
Thats right Purp, I was a Kirby champ there was competion involved It was played up to 10 points, 1 point for hitting the kerb and the ball rolling or bouncing back to you, 2 points if you got it right on the angle and it bounced back without touching the ground..

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 29th Mar 2011, 06:13pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 29th Mar 2011, 04:30pm) *
you and your mate stood on opposits sides of the road, and you threw a ball and tried to
bounce it off the opposite kirb. Hence kirby.

Anyone played kick the can?
chap the door and run away?

a even tied two doors the gether laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 29th Mar 2011, 06:20pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I always wished I lived in Embra when I was a kid. Very posh - the closes all had doors and there were 10 or 12 bell-pulls beside each door - Paradise Found ! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Chrissie
post 30th Mar 2011, 03:02am
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,556
We played those games and on rainy days we'd sit on the stairs up my wee pal's close and swap scraps or wee sheets of coloured tin foil that we kept stored in the the pages of books. We even had prewar scraps and all kinds of cherubs and angels. The wee lassies got hoors o' entertainment from just a few scraps of paper. Add a penny worth o' hel' salts to dip your finger in and stick it in your mouth to experience the fizz and you had a perfect day. We used to buy oor stuff in Isaacs shop next to the Palaceum.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 30th Mar 2011, 08:04am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Chrissie @ 30th Mar 2011, 05:19am) *
We played those games and on rainy days we'd sit on the stairs up my wee pal's close and swap scraps or wee sheets of coloured tin foil that we kept stored in the the pages of books. We even had prewar scraps and all kinds of cherubs and angels. The wee lassies got hoors o' entertainment from just a few scraps of paper. Add a penny worth o' hel' salts to dip your finger in and stick it in your mouth to experience the fizz and you had a perfect day. We used to buy oor stuff in Isaacs shop next to the Palaceum.

I well remember Jean Isaac's shop - the name above the door was different . Do you remember it? Spent a lot of time in th Palaceum- saw " Annie Get Your Gun" umpteen times. Red candy cakes from Matteo's cafe. smile.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Chrissie
post 1st Apr 2011, 05:16am
Post #11

Super Resident
Bilbo - I don't remember the name above the shop. When I was wee I tended to identify places by the weans. Isaacs was David's ma's shop; Matteos in Edram was Anna's, the other Matteos - the Elect was Billy's - his ma was Bessie who worked there a lot - she was a Matteo before marriage. I don't know if you remember the Cosy Corner on the Corner of Fernan St. and the main road. Charlie Cocozza and his wife ran it and they had a daughter named Julie.
I may have been in the Palaceum at the sime time as you watching those pictures. Loved that place. The Palaceum and the State were my favourites. Wasn't Mrs. Isaac a really nice woman. At one point when everything was getting dearer she was the only one who would come up with something for a penny. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chrissie
post 1st Apr 2011, 05:21am
Post #12

Super Resident
Bilbo - So whit was the name o my wee sweetie rolleyes.gif shop?

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 1st Apr 2011, 07:39am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Chrissie @ 1st Apr 2011, 07:38am) *
Bilbo - So whit was the name o my wee sweetie rolleyes.gif shop?

Chrisie,

I do not remember the name above Jean Isaac's shop. I well remember Charlie Cocozza- he had a wee mustache. Did you ever get halfpennies for jamjars at the grocer's to go to the flicks ? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chrissie
post 3rd Apr 2011, 02:28am
Post #14

Super Resident
Bilbo, Don't remember the jam jars. Did get a lot of 1p and 2ps on bottles we returned to Deans Pub. We had to go to the family department, a wee booth like area. Between cousins, my dad and 2 bros, we had about 10 guys going off at various stages of the war. They didn't all come home at the same time but 7 made it back so as each one returned there were big parties for them so us kids made out like bandits with the beer bottles. At the other end of Wellshot Rd on the corner was Anina Valente's house. Her dad held the concession for the Barrowland Cafe. When I'm writing these names down I'm realizing how many are Italian, including the Usebis - the barber, he was Nettie's dad. smile.gif
Was your house the first one built on Wellshot? I notice you called it Wellshot House. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 3rd Apr 2011, 08:50am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Chrissie,

Peter Eusebi was my barber, lovely wee man. I can still see him. Always remember his price list on the wall, which included a "shinge". My dad was very friendly with him. There is a very good deli now in Shettleston, which I think belongs to the family.
Our doctor was Peter Capaldi, a very good man. I heard he passed away only just recently. Yes, it was Little Italy in those days.

My father knew John Deans well and later on I moved with my aunts to Blackcroft Road, right across from John and his family.

I am afraid I know little of the history of Wellshot House. I tried googling it , but there was another house of the same name. My father inherited it from an uncle and we lived there until about 1955. It was in a sorry state and we only occupied a small part of it. My folks moved to Plains and the vandals and hooligans looted the house and eventually set fire to it, necessitating its demolition. The Corporation later got a compulsory purchase order and built sheltered housing.

I think the name of Jean Isaac's shop may have been " Mackie". Do you remember a pigeon fancier called Johnnie McConnachie - used to stand outside the grainstore ?

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.