Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Playing Balls Against Walls, ...and sheds
Tori G
post 3rd Jun 2005, 07:22am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
Good on you GG for helping bring back memories:

Heres one...we use to play with the tennis balls against walls everywhere,... espeicially at school, and it was allways a rush to get to the shed first. Doing one handers was hard at first then got easier, then again swinging it behind your back was just as hard. By the way Im almost peeing myself laughing here as I can just imagine how some of this sounds to you different minds out there.

Heres one of the songs we'd sing... Under the branches under the trees boom boom boom boom true love to you ma darlin true love to me,etc etc etc,..Bring back any memories, like a said in another post theres heaps of these songs for this activity, and another thing I have actually shown my son and neices and nephews this over here in Perth Western Australia. cool.gif.

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
keelie gal
post 5th Dec 2005, 03:32pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,519
I used to love this game tori and spent many a happy hour playing them wub.gif

--------------------
ITS NICE TO BE NICE

+Quote Post
annabell
post 5th Dec 2005, 03:43pm
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,644
I used to love it to cant rememeber many of the songs at the moment, but now and again I remember them, its only a few weeks ago I said to my daughter about playing with two balls against a wall and she looked at me as if I was daft. My daughter is 25.
love annabell

+Quote Post
RonD
post 9th Jan 2006, 06:54pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Across the street from us there was a small farm which was used as a piggery and the out building facing the street was a two storey bricked affair.
We spent hours playing "heiders". To the unuinitiated agame of bouncing a ball off the wall and kept airborne with your forehead and kept it up until it fell then another person took a turn, or it could be played by your self for hours.

I do remember one song the lassies used to sing while skipping. It may seem politically incorrect but remember this was sung with no malice from the mouths of children.

Archibald .bald.bald King of the Jews, Jews, Jews
Bought his wife. wife.wife a pair of shoes.shoes.shoes
When the shoes.shoes. shoes. began to wear.wear.wear.
Archibald.bald.bald began to swear.swear.swear
When the swear.swear.swear began to stop.stop.stop.
Archibald.bald.bald.bald. began a shop.shop.shop
When the shop.shop.shop. began to sell.sell.sell
Archibald bald.bald.bald. rang a bell.bell. bell.
When the bell.bell.bell. began to ring.ring.ring.
Archibald.bald.bald. bald. began to sing. sing. sing.

Do re mi fa so la Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!
The things one remembers ....now what's my pin number?????

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 9th Jan 2006, 08:34pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I lived at 26 Guthrie St and we were at the end of the building right next to the Gable end and we would play doublers against the wall ,
one two three aleary
I spy Wallace Beery
sitting on his bumbaleary
kissing Shirley Temple rolleyes.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 9th Jan 2006, 11:37pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Lennox your uncle David lived in the top flat right hand side, we lived in the bottem flat ,left hand side,across from him was the McKays second floor was the Callaghans,the Carneys first floor was the Rollands ,and old Mr & mrs Mc Tavish when the McKays moved the McCollgans moved in one of their sons Frankie was a promising Footballaplayer the last I heard he moved to Austrailia

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Gallifreya
post 23rd Feb 2006, 11:42am
Post #7

Settling In
From: Borehamwood Herts England (Researching my family history in Glasgow)
Member No.: 1,609
My mother was from Possil Park and as a child she taught me to sing a version of the 'Wallace Beery' song above, which she had learned as a child. You bounced the ball with one hand and sang

One, two, three O'Leary
I spied Mrs Creery
Sitting on her bumbaleery
Early in the morning.

You also passed the bouncing ball under one leg at the end of every other line. We two often chuckled about this one together and she always told me never to tell it to anyone -- because she said that 'Bumbaleery' was a very rude word! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
valros
post 23rd Feb 2006, 06:49pm
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,069
I remember playing this game too, we called it "Doublers"

It's funny when you think of all the songs and rhymes that were made up for it.

Valros smile.gif

+Quote Post
marfrisha
post 27th Feb 2006, 07:27pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 294
At Sandwood School, Penilee, during the season for "Balls" - we used to make a mad dash to find a vacant solid wall. We did lots of nifty little acrobatic tricks. You sang the "ditty" over and over until you went through all the tricks. As soon as you dropped the ball you were out and the next person was in. First trick you lifted your right leg and put the ball under it, next trick the left leg, next trick legs apart and put the ball behind your back and through your legs, next legs together (We called this one gibralter???)and turn sideways and put the ball behind your back and then the final one "Big BIRly" this one you stoated the ball and birled and caught it before the ball fell. tongue.gif

Rabbie Burns was born in Ayr
Now he stands in George's Square
IF you want to see him there
Jump on the bus and see him there

The next part was done one handed
Penny, tuppence, thruppence etc., until you dropped the ball.
Hours of fun - We went from Balls season to scraps. Does anyone remember collecting and trading scraps? You would put your scraps in an old book, one in each page. Then you would exchange books and put up the ones you might want to trade. Then would follow some hard bargaining.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Balls_and_scraps ( 0bytes )

+Quote Post
mags42
post 5th Mar 2006, 08:08pm
Post #10

Settling In
Member No.: 3,067
Just reading your msg marfrisha made me smile.....lol

Used to sing wee songs like....... wee sam a piece n jam, wee betty a piece n spaghetti, then there was..... way down upon the swanee river where i fell in with a spash, along came an alligator singin..... chinese sausages n belfast ham.....lolol

+Quote Post
Angela Chick
post 5th Mar 2006, 08:15pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,713
Mags am laughing here as well a remember singing that one aboot the aligator, laugh.gif

--------------------
Tell it like it is

+Quote Post
marfrisha
post 6th Mar 2006, 07:12pm
Post #12

Unpacking
Member No.: 294
There was one I learned -
I learned this at school- I was about six at the time. it was during ball season and I truly thought that they were talking about nice wee rubber balls just like mine. I was always a great one for learning new poems and rhymes and ma mammy was that proud and would have me recite them to all and sundry[center]. Well my mother had some people over for a cuppa and she asked me to tell my latest wee poem that I had learned in school and I proceeded to tell this one -
Hitler has only got one ball
Eichman's got two but very small
Himler has something similer
But poor old Goebels got no balls at all.

I felt so sorry for poor old Goebels cuz he didnae have ony we red rubber balls that he could stoat against the wall.

Needless to say my mother was "black affruntit". Although she now tells me that they were really all in stitches.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 6th Mar 2006, 07:33pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I remember singing that one but we knew it wasn't wee red rubber balls, and my mother never heard us ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
celia
post 28th Jul 2006, 07:38pm
Post #14

Visitor
Member No.: 3,362
Iīve loved reading about these games I used to play too! donīt you remember playing against the wall but with a ball in a stocking? I remember one rhyme"away up in Holland in the land of the Dutch there lives a wee lassie I love very much...and another we clasped another person between two and at one point whirled her over to the chant of"della fheesa delala lift your feet..."I loved the scraps season and was terrified of those circles that ordered you to choose betweeen a kick or a punch or join the bunch or tell yuor loverīs name.thank you for the opportunity to remember the good bits-itīs such a pity children donīt play in the streets now -at least in Spain they donīt īthough my kids did years ago.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 28th Jul 2006, 08:50pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Oh memories you have evoked with all the little Ditties and ball games.
My very favourite ball game was "LEDGY",,,,
The ledge on the wall of old buildings you threw your ball, if your aim was correct it stayed in the air and you caught it
This was 5 points, if it missed ,would hit the ground and came back to you, we carried on adding 5 until we reached 50(I think)
You had won the game if you achieved this fete.

Do you remember "Kick the Can", gosh, could go on and on.

Priceless, and all the wee songs,,,,,,,GREAT. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.