Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Isa Mcgowan Of Cambuslang, Lost Friends and Family
wjames1
post 4th Jan 2017, 12:57am
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 12,212
I am looking for any knowledge/information related to my father's sister, Isa McGowan. She was born Isabella Brash Smith in Rutherglen in 1911. Her siblings were also born there: Charles in 1909; Annie in 1911; William in 1914 (my father).

Isa married James McGowan on 23 Nov 1931 in Cambuslang; their address then was 253 Main Street. She was a fish saleswoman and he was a mechanical engineer at the time of their marriage.

I have found that Isa died in Cambuslang in 1993. James may possibly have died in Luton in 1978.

The Smith siblings were split up when their mother died six months after my father William Winning Smith was born in Jan 1914, and I never met any of his siblings. If anyone has any information whatsoever related to Isa and her family I would be very thankful to receive it. I am presently living in the USA.

Thanks in advance, James Scott.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wjames1
post 9th Jan 2017, 10:31pm
Post #2

Visitor
Isa and James McGowan had children: Andrew; James; Jeanette - Andrew worked in Bristol; Jeanette was in the Salvation Army, and married Albert Brown from Belfast.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 10th Jan 2017, 04:54pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Not sure if it's the same family (it's a fairly common name) but there is a long serving ex- local authority councillor called Andy McGowan who lives in Cambuslang. I think he is aged around 80yo now. A Google search of his name and Cambuslang will throw up some of his background.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
wjames1
post 10th Jan 2017, 05:27pm
Post #4

Visitor
Ashfield, thank you for that input. In fact I have just learned that the Andy McGowan you mention is connected to the McGowan family I am interested in. I will search for his mailing address and attempt to determine whether he may have an email where I could most easily make contact.

+Quote Post
wjames1
post 14th Jan 2017, 10:16pm
Post #5

Visitor
Ashfield,

Your suggestion/pointer worked out perfectly; the individual you mentioned has indeed been able to assist me with my inquiries.

Many, many thanks.

James

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 15th Jan 2017, 09:09am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
James, no problem, glad it worked out.

I'm grateful for you returning to let us know thumbup.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
*jan robertson*
post 27th Jan 2017, 08:58am
Post #7

Hi, I'd contact the RUTHERGLEN FACEBOOK site - members could help you I think or /and the HERITAGE CENTRE at Rutherglen Library Main Street Rutherglen G73.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.