Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

252 Pages V  « < 235 236 237 238 239 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 3 V
JAGZ1876
post 5th Mar 2018, 01:39pm
Post #3541

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 5th Mar 2018, 12:23pm) *
Apart from anything else, Jagz, the topic is Brexit. Does anyone believe that we are buying all these goods from China because of the EU? Is UK going to stop buying Chinese goods, whether or not Brexit happens? I would hesitate to use the word "trade", as it seems to me pretty one way traffic, unless anyone can enlighten me as to what UK sells to China.

You are of course correct, i got caught up in one of Danny's "look a squirrel" diversions.

I can tell you one thing the YooKay sells to China. wink.gif

"In the first six months of 2017, demand for Scotch in China jumped as the economy grew, with direct exports alone up 45 per cent to £27m"

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/whisky-boost...import-11580502
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th Mar 2018, 01:49pm
Post #3542

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 5th Mar 2018, 02:39pm) *
You are of course correct, i got caught up in one of Danny's "look a squirrel" diversions.

I can tell you one thing the YooKay sells to China. wink.gif

"In the first six months of 2017, demand for Scotch in China jumped as the economy grew, with direct exports alone up 45 per cent to £27m"

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/whisky-boost...import-11580502

Och, Jagz, I spent nearly that much on Chinese goods myself last year! tongue.gif The rest of my pension went on malt whisky!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 5th Mar 2018, 06:21pm
Post #3543

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 5th Mar 2018, 01:49pm) *
Och, Jagz, I spent nearly that much on Chinese goods myself last year! tongue.gif

They all fell apart the very next day no doubt? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 5th Mar 2018, 06:37pm
Post #3544

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 5th Mar 2018, 06:21pm) *
They all fell apart the very next day no doubt? laugh.gif

My guess is they all came with extra portions of prawn crackers tongue.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 5th Mar 2018, 09:07pm
Post #3545

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 5th Mar 2018, 06:37pm) *

I'll have a 69 please. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 5th Mar 2018, 11:19pm
Post #3546

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 5th Mar 2018, 07:37pm) *

So that's why the underpants always felt so uncumfy!

Nice to see you back, Lazarus!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 6th Mar 2018, 08:33am
Post #3547

Mega City Key Holder
Typical Tory hypocrisy:-

From “The European” something I certainly missed.

“Theresa May demanded that [the] EU should share crime and terrorism data with a post Brexit Britain after warning that the UK would not share crime and terrorism data with a post referendum Scotland.
May now says Brussels “must not allow rigid institutional restrictions or deep seated ideology to inhibit our cooperation. We must do whatever is most practical and pragmatic in ensuring our collective security”
That’s somewhat different to what her Home Office advised in October 2013. “The continuing UK would not be in a position to protect Scottish interests as it does presently. Scotland would be a separate state it could not “share” the UK security and intelligence for reasons of sovereign democratic accountability”

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 6th Mar 2018, 10:09pm
Post #3548

Mega City Key Holder
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 6th Mar 2018, 10:24pm
Post #3549

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
I am finding it very difficult to find a way of beginning this post so, please bear with me.The reason for me being in this state, is that something happened today which has made me quite emotional. I stumbled across a reference which said that the Korean War ended in 1953. That is 65 years ago.

I read this shortly after reading the posts on here being jocular about our trade with China. Please, please do not take this to be a personal attack on anyone on this forum. It made me realise that I am 86, and the persons who wrote the jocular comments have, and are entitled to have, a different perspective regarding China.

I was born in 1931. My paternal grandfather lived with us. He fought in World War I, in the army, with his second son. His eldest son was killed while serving in the navy at the age of 19.
Two of his younger sons, including my Dad served in the army in World War II.

So I was born just 13 years after World War II, but grew up completely ignorant of it, or the horrors of that war. My greandfather never spoke of it.

Fast forward to 1945. I am a school boy. Immediately after the end of that war, my generation are brainwashed, including me. We are told on a daily basis that Communism is evil and unless we do something, we will be ruled by Communists. China becomes a Communist country. We are told we in the West must have nothing to do with Communism.

National Service is created. All medically fit young men over the age of 18 must serve for two years in one of the Armed Forces, or do five years in the Merchant Navy to be ready to fight Communism.

Trouble with Communists breaks out in Malaya. National Servicemen get sent over. The Korean war gets going. I am now eligible to be sent. Some of my fellow trainees are killed. Not in Korea, but in training! Only months after being called up! We are told soldiers give their lives for their country. Sorry they have their young lives taken away!

Some go to Korea and face the hordes of Chinese assisting the hordes of North Koreans. I can still see the faces of some of the boys who were stationed with me in Germany, when their names were listed in a poster pinned up on a wall, telling them they were going to Korea.

It is now 2018, China is one of the most capitalistic countries in the world. They have hundreds of millionaires and no doubt some billionaires. The West has given them the technology developed in the West. Rich UK companies like Dyson have moved their production lines and production methodology to China. There are Chinese owners of British football clubs. When we finally leave the EU, Dyson etc will make sure China still rules.

Some of us laugh at the quantity of whisky the Chinese are buying from us. I am not one of them. I ask myself, why didn't the West do this when I was 20, then I wouldn't have had to give up two years of my life, and sadly many young men of my generation wouldn't have had their lives taken away from them.

As I said earlier, this is a generational thing. Please feel free to laugh. I will understand. I didn't know anything about World War I.

Danny

+Quote Post
carmella
post 6th Mar 2018, 11:02pm
Post #3550

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 5th Mar 2018, 10:33am) *
I too remember those days of cheap far eastern imports Carmella, people used to laugh at Japanese made products in those days too.

Who's laughing now? yes.gif

I understand your reasons for not wanting to trade with China, but there are at least 20 other countries that the UK trades with that have as bad if not worse "human rights and animal rights" records.

Westminster will trade with anyone where money is involved so it's a bit unfair just to single out China.

There are many other countries who have just as bad a reputation as China, I agree. One of my big things in the past few years is the dog meat festival held each year at Yulin, where awful things are done to the dogs whilst still alive, deliberately. I have long been a supporter of animal rights both here and farther afield. I believe that the Chinese Government are now set to ban this awful festival.

It so happens that I loathe everything that is Chinese, that's one of the reasons I singled them out. Governments will trade with anyone, regardless of who is in power.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 7th Mar 2018, 09:47am
Post #3551

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 6th Mar 2018, 11:02pm) *
It so happens that I loathe everything that is Chinese, that's one of the reasons I singled them out.

You are of course entitled to your opinion Carmella but i find that to be one of the saddest posts i have ever read on GG.

To loathe over a billion people who have done you no harm whatsoever, i really am struggling to put into words how i'm feeling at the moment.

All i will say is the World would be a much poorer place had China never existed.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 7th Mar 2018, 10:28am
Post #3552

Mega City Key Holder
[quote name='JAGZ1876' date='7th Mar 2018, 10:47am' post='3737851']
You are of course entitled to your opinion Carmella but i find that to be one of the saddest posts i have ever read on GG.

To loathe over a billion people who have done you no harm whatsoever, i really am struggling to put into words how i'm feeling at the moment.

All i will say is the World would be a much poorer place had China never existed.
[

sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 7th Mar 2018, 01:22pm
Post #3553

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 7th Mar 2018, 09:47am) *

Sorry Jagz but I have my reasons which are not up for further discussion. I'd also point out to you that by saying it was among the saddest posts you've ever read on the GG - hey kid, stick around, trust me you've not been on here long enough to say that to me or anyone who has been here since the beginning. You should have been here in the early days, then you'd never have said that to me - trust me!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 7th Mar 2018, 06:53pm
Post #3554

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 7th Mar 2018, 01:22pm) *
Sorry Jagz but I have my reasons which are not up for further discussion. I'd also point out to you that by saying it was among the saddest posts you've ever read on the GG - hey kid, stick around, trust me you've not been on here long enough to say that to me or anyone who has been here since the beginning. You should have been here in the early days, then you'd never have said that to me - trust me!

I can only say in the time i've been a member (coming up on seven years) i've never read a sadder post Carmella.

I would certainly hope you do have reasons but for the life of me i can't imagine any rational person would "loathe everything that is Chinese" no matter their reasons.

Even if i had been here at the beginning of GG i would certainly have said that to you.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 7th Mar 2018, 07:34pm
Post #3555

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 7th Mar 2018, 06:53pm) *
I would certainly hope you do have reasons but for the life of me i can't imagine any rational person would "loathe everything that is Chinese" no matter their reasons.

laugh.gif I bet she wid like sum yung guy if she met him laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post

252 Pages V  « < 235 236 237 238 239 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.