Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Groceries And The Butchers Vans.., Names - not remembered ..
wombat
post 8th Feb 2011, 08:09pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 8th Feb 2011, 07:13pm) *
A meant to say that too, the only van a remember wis the ice cream van.Mmmmmm

rolleyes.gif wis it the CAPPOCHIE man glasgow lass?

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mara
post 8th Feb 2011, 08:43pm
Post #32

Settling In
Member No.: 8,979
What about Bert's grocerey van that traded in easterhouse, he would give all his regulars a box of biscuits at christmas. As someone else said there was about 6 shops built, I remember Galbraiths was one of them., a chemist, butchers and if my mind serves me correctly a bookies. This was to cater for the largest scheme that had been built in that era. What a dreeck place to live, the best part of it was taking the green bus to Dundas street, back to dear old Glasgow toon. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
wheeghee
post 8th Feb 2011, 09:39pm
Post #33

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,999
What about Malkies Double Decker grocers van Priesthill, bottem deck grocers shop,top deck office with a double bed. Women that could not pay their tic bill paid in the office.
He was exposed all over the newspapers doe's anyone remember. wub.gif

--------------------
Nullis in verba

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 9th Feb 2011, 02:51pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
He was exposed in aw the papers wis it a big affair wheegee wub.gif biggrin.gif .

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 9th Feb 2011, 03:46pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
laugh.gif laugh.gif Yyyeeesss wombat Cappochie.

+Quote Post
benny
post 9th Feb 2011, 06:30pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (wheeghee @ 8th Feb 2011, 10:17pm) *
What about Malkies Double Decker grocers van Priesthill, bottem deck grocers shop,top deck office with a double bed. Women that could not pay their tic bill paid in the office.
He was exposed all over the newspapers doe's anyone remember. wub.gif

Aye, ah remember a similar thing, but ah thought it wis Pollok, an it wis a greengrocer's van.. Ah worked in Hillington at the time, an a few o the guys a worked wi came frae Pollok Everybody used tae kid them on - "Are ye gettin cabbage wi yer tea the night, etc." biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
wheeghee
post 9th Feb 2011, 09:45pm
Post #37

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,999
QUOTE (benny @ 9th Feb 2011, 06:08pm) *
Aye, ah remember a similar thing, but ah thought it wis Pollok, an it wis a greengrocer's van.. Ah worked in Hillington at the time, an a few o the guys a worked wi came frae Pollok Everybody used tae kid them on - "Are ye gettin cabbage wi yer tea the night, etc." biggrin.gif

Benny

Your right it was a greengrocers van he sold all sort of things he also sold cigerettes from under the tablle. Peat Road and the area is known as Pollock he pitched all around Pollock. I know Malkie well he has still got snack bars.
Going back over 30 years. Malkie operated an appointment system for women to pay off their tic . He started of with one woman who had no money to settle her bill word of mouth they were queueing up. Ended up he had to give them a time. I was two women that he could not fit in that blew the whistle to the police and the Daily Record.

He said that he nearly ended up bankrupt and business was booming..
He sold up and started selling second hand furnisher, his mate bought the vans and the tic books.

He still says that the women of Pollock abused him!!!1

--------------------
Nullis in verba

+Quote Post
benny
post 9th Feb 2011, 10:54pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
If it wis nooadays, he'd probably be daein time fur white slavin or somethin like that. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
enrique
post 10th Feb 2011, 12:21pm
Post #39

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
laugh.gif When i left school i worked for the co-op at Halfway and they had a grocery van, when the driver was on holiday i would be sent on it and they would supply a driver from the main pool of drivers , we would each day travel up to Hardridge Road at Corkerhill and travel up one side and doon the other, other days we would go to Pollok, sometimes the customer would ask you to pick up there butcher order or bakery orders and deliver them when i was on my rounds, the co-op had quite a few of these vans throughout the district, the only thing was when i filled in for the original guy , you found out all his wee scams that helped make up his wages , but of course i had to keep this to myself.when i was youger in Govan we had a grocery van , a butchers van, a bakers van , (Peacocks)and of all things a guy who would sell bleach, also of course the fish van , you wonder why some smart lad has not thought of this to-day with all the shops closing and the supermarkets taking over , i am sure the wee villages and big housing estates would welcome the vans back again

+Quote Post
benny
post 10th Feb 2011, 07:36pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
There's still a fish van comes roon Knightswood, and ah think it's only a van that supplies fish in Partick noo as well, apart frae the supermarkets. There used tae be two fishmongers in Partick that ah frequented, but they've both been gone furra number o years noo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamcat
post 18th Feb 2011, 12:46am
Post #41

Resident
Member No.: 8,842
In Possil in the 1960's we had a wee Morrris Minor van, a grey one I'm sure that came round selling fish and vegetables. The guy who owned and sold the stuff was named Charlie Dupree and you could get your fish and veg on tick and he came round on Fridays to collect the money. After the wee shop Cary's in Killearn Street was burned down in 1975 a mobile shop started to operate at the top of Byshot Street. There was later another mobile shop in Stoneyhurst Street that I think was operated by Maria Gauchan with her husband (not 100% sure)

+Quote Post
Paulli75
post 28th Mar 2011, 07:33pm
Post #42

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,702
I remember 2 vans while growing up in Barlanark,Tommy Tango & Jimmy's Wee Blue van. There was also a chippy van that used to come round as well. Think it was called Daziells.

+Quote Post
catherine berrie
post 1st Apr 2011, 10:53am
Post #43

Visitor
Member No.: 8,919
We used to have all sorts of vans running around Drumchapel in the 50's and 60's.The ones I remember most are Ernies fruit and veg,The city bakeries,Val's ice cream van,De marco's ice cream van, there was also a grocery van,can't think of his name at the moment,think it was Jimmy something.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 2nd Apr 2011, 09:27am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Catherine,

I think one of the vans that served 'theDrum' in the late 1950's might actually have been a Co-op van. I remember a maroon coloured, converted single deck bus that used to stop in the middle of our end of Airgold Drive that sold all sorts of groceries.

I also, very fondly, remember both the Walls' and Di Marco Ice Cream Vans, more so on those occasions when Dad had scored a win from the Bookie who used to ply his trade at the top of Ardhu Place.

The Coal Man was a weekly regular and I remember a van that sold seafood. My Mum bought some Cod Roe from him one day, the foulest thing I've ever tasted !

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 2nd Apr 2011, 04:30pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Apart from the regular ice cream vans in season we also get a van comes around with fresh market garden produce here. tongue.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.