Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Groceries And The Butchers Vans.., Names - not remembered ..
sugaqueen
post 12th Feb 2008, 04:20pm
Post #16

Settling In
Member No.: 5,393
i remember the walls ice cream van you used to get a triangle sort of wafer with a square block of ice cream that you unwrapped yerself,if it was hot it would melt before you got it in the wafer lol the rag and bone man i used to search the hoose til i got something just for a balloon,how crazy is that,also the fish van
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 12th Feb 2008, 08:05pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
Your right there sugaqueen. I too remember those dripping ice creams. I really don't think it mattered a jot cos as a wain as you were just as happy licking it off yer arms?
I am sure that if (or when) I dropped it, it was a case of 'devil lick it - god kiss it - am noo gonny eat it' and up it came back on the wafer and away ye went?? rolleyes.gif kids today would likely scream blue murder and ye'd be buying another? laugh.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 20th Feb 2008, 11:13pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
aye the vans, and how many were there ? i remember running hame fae school gettin changed and going doon tae try and get picked to go on the tottie van or the bread van. we used tae make a fair few bob, all roon castlemilk, people hanging oot the windae shouting doon their orders. every few orders you used to give the guy his money for a couple, and keep a couple for yourself. by the end of the day you had a few bob, then your tips, and your wages on tap o that, aye it was prettyguid. we used to have the totty van and the bread van sweety, fish&chip van, butchers, coal,parrafin, ragman, thank goad they never all came roon at wance eh ?. do ye remember the sweety van with the trays?, the penny tray two fur a penny and four fur a penny.

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post
scoob77
post 28th Oct 2008, 03:10pm
Post #19

Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,036
oh u lot are making me homesick!! coming from castlemilk i remember all the vans, the icecream vans that sold everything!! i remember i was looking after my wee cousin once and she lost her dummy, my mum sent me down to the van to get one, i said to her they don't sell dummies!!! she said go doon and ask anyway, so i went doon, asked for a dummy and they sold them!!!

plus u had the butchers van, and you had agrocer van that came round at the weekends, i used to get up on a sunday morning and my mum had left me out a wee list to go doon and get when it came round

and then there was the fish and chip van, i loved my sausage suppers off of them

+Quote Post
angel
post 28th Oct 2008, 05:40pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
where else could you get a sausage supper,only from the fish and chip van biggrin.gif
wecolme Scoob77

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
serabash
post 8th Feb 2011, 11:13am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
A remember Ascot vans coming roon Easterhoose in the late fifties early sixties an a goat a widden thrupenny in the mornin tae get ma playpiece fae the van.A always goat a caramac an 2 for a penny choc dainties. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif the vans were red and cream and had their fleet number oan the back beside the door.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 8th Feb 2011, 03:50pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Aye the butchers vans Mcguire bros had 4 in the pollok area , he then selt them aff and bought shops in the area aw gone noo, young maws noo are too busy wie junk food, noo there no many kids get there mince, stews, soup made wie a dod o lamb flank ,bit o ham rib or hough good scottish broth beef hough an a marra bone when ah wis a kid soup wis a big thing in oor hoose sometimes twice or three time a week ,Ah used tae say mammy can i get the marra bone used tae suck the marra oot it ,that an an ootsider o Galbraiths breed wie a big black crispy crust happy days, widdnae swap a bowl o mah maws soup fer a dinner at a five star restaurant an thats a fact. wink.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 8th Feb 2011, 04:50pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Hey Auld yin, I remember the days when getting my butcher meat at the weekend, I used to ask for a marrow bone to make my soup. I wonder what the butcher would say if I try asking for one nowadays. wub.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 8th Feb 2011, 05:05pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Hi Heather a had the same problem where a live, everytime a asked a butcher for them he usually said ,,,oh do you have a dog! rolleyes.gif . Now that am a little more health conscious a haven't use bones in a long time , too much fat in them I found.

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 8th Feb 2011, 05:48pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
Don't remember butcher's vans. I had a message boy job for a butcher's shop in Riddrie, where my Mother worked, when I was 12, on Saturdays/school holidays.
I remember thinking Riddrie was a 'posh area'
You never saw message boys in the slum tenements.
Can you imagine leaving the bike with a basket full of 'food' messages - aye when rationing was on- in the close of a tenement while you went upstairs with a message!!!

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 8th Feb 2011, 06:35pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
A meant to say that too, the only van a remember wis the ice cream van.Mmmmmm

+Quote Post
benny
post 8th Feb 2011, 07:47pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
First scheme van ah remember wis frae Ruchazie, roon aboot 1954/55 - Nick the Greek's chip van. It stopped right ootside oor hoose at 47 Milncroft Road. Ah don't know whether Nick wis really a Greek or no, but he wis a swarthy guy wi a big thick moustache an an apron that hidnae seen a wash furra fortnight. Still, his fish an chips were no bad. Then there wis the Ascot bakery van an the fruit an veg van. Ah think there wis a City Bakeries van came roon as well, but ah'm no 100% sure oan that wan. Crolla's wis the ice cream van that came roon Ruchazie, an wan o the guys that worked oan it lived as a ludger next door tae us wi the Paterson family - his name wis Fred somethin, an he had a gold mine in Canada - or so he claimed. ( Naw, ah don't know why he wis workin fur Crolla's wi a gold mine in Canada).
When we moved tae Cranhill, in the later 50's, it wis the Dalziel's van - selling rolls, biscuits, etc - that ah remember. That an the ice-crream vans. We hid Gizzi Bros, and an auld Italian guy called Tony wi his ain ice-cream van. In later years, a coupla new ice-cream vans appeared an tried tae drive the wee Tony fella aff the road by pullin in before an behind him wherever he stopped. Ah never bought anythin aff them though. Ah don't know if this wis the start of the "Ice Cream Wars" that were tae become notorious in later years.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 8th Feb 2011, 07:48pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Ah think yer at it mate ,i wis a message boy fer auld Tam Scoles in Govan his shop was just past the Ants chapel on the right haun side going east.

He wis a tight fisted auld keech his heed reminded me o ah sheeps ,but his produce was first class raw beef haw the real wie pickled ,real Jamaica pepper dark broon wie a fragrance that wid blow you awie ,pickled brisket bootiful as the chicken king widda said,sausages a delight.

I went oot on a Friday morn aboot ten efter the sausages wur made ,and delivered aw ower Govan some times three or four times a day same on a setterday as far as Wedderlea drive Mosspark there wis some moneyed people up there but ye widdnae hae known it the tips you got .

The other message boy went up tae the east sloping on up as far as the other side o paisley road just by ibrox.

Here a thing in Govan its sel you iwies got a tip at nearly every delivery ,usually thruppence some times a tanner ,an on a cold setterday morn ye wid be on yer first delivery in winter an if you was lucky wid ye like ah wee roll an sausage son ah swear the wifey mussta shot doon the stair agin tae get another roll .

The other message boy an me used tae compare notes aboot tips the further ye went oota Govan tae the mair affluent area's the tips dried up funny init.

Wee confession here we used tae brag tae each other aboot the different stages o un dress the lady o the hoose or her daughters wid open the door pure fiction but ach at 15 year o age ye canny let another boy put wan ower you ,an boys will be boys ,god forgive me . laugh.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
benny
post 8th Feb 2011, 07:53pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Aye it must've shocked ye as a 15 year auld, Butch. Them whalebone corsets an Directoire knickers. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 8th Feb 2011, 08:08pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
If only Benny if only laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.