Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rag and Bone Men, Are they still about? Memories?
mcginley100
post 22nd Dec 2005, 10:47am
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 1,268
Was just thinking the other day there,cant remember the last time I seen one.Feel right old when I say I remember sitting on my uncle's horse and cart,leaving the stables just off duke street.I know they did away with the cart in favour of transit vans.It wasnt the same though,then again it had its benifits,you didnt have a big horse breaking wind in your face,when you were sitting right behind it.We used to go up to Riddrie cemetry and collect the cut grass to bring back to the stables for the other horses.WHEN I THINK OF IT,IT WASNT THAT LONG AGO,1969-7 wub.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 22nd Dec 2005, 08:08pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember the 'Rag & Bone Man' coming to our street one day, and my son pestered me to give him something so he could get a balloon. I could not find anything, so I gave him one of his dad's jacket's that I knew had not been worn for a long time.

Of course a few days later his dad goes looking for that jacket, I had to confess to giving it away for a balloon. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 23rd Dec 2005, 07:38pm
Post #3

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
I worked with one when I was 13 during the summer out with the horse and cart at the weekends . When on summer holidays out every day when it came to winter we used to sell coal brickets. We would go into the railway mens canteen in old Buchan Street railway works and have a great rolls filled with black pudding and eggs, Those were the days great freah air in the summer and freezing in the winter from about 7 am till 6.00pm. People used to be buying in the brickets to save their coal through out the winter.

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
weelew
post 21st Oct 2008, 11:48am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
A friend of mine whos father was a rag man used to take us out on his horse and cart to collect rags and scrap ,lost count of the times when he got back to the yard to empty the cart and sort out the rags that he found money ,jewellery ,even some old love letters in the pockets of jackets and trousers .He had no way of knowing what belonged to who ,so he would keep it to the side in case someone claimed them ,if not it belonged to him. We used to go up to a place in the pikston road to buy a load of brickets on a saturday morning and sell them around the streets .We used to carry them up to the houses on a wooden board ,sometimes a dozen or half a dozen,we used to hate top flats ,we called them tap dancers.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 21st Oct 2008, 03:15pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Who could forget pestering their mum for something to give the rag man so we could get a balloon. smile.gif

I had the same problem with my son, so gave him one of his dads old working jackets, one that he had not worn for a long time.. A few days later hubby searched the house for the jacket, so I had to own up I gave it to our son to give to the Rag Man for a wee toy. He then said it was one of his favourite jackets. Aye right. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
angel
post 21st Oct 2008, 06:07pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
did,nt have much garbage in the house when there was a rag and bone man, where are they now , when we need them tongue.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 22nd Oct 2008, 09:36pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
A used to know a young rag and bone man . he was a fairground worker in the summer and a rag and bone man in winter is da was called spankey walker and came from the gallowgate and he lived up the london road with his granny and aunty so am no sayin his name but he was a looker and a chancer but a lovable rogue well am sure everybody knew sombody like that wink.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 23rd Oct 2008, 04:48am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
I used to love it when the rag n bone man came past my gran's place, unfortunately one day I took a coat or jacket that was new and I think it had money or something else in one of the pockets, well did I get a right telling off for that. I did ask if I could take it but took the wrong one oops. huh.gif

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
angel
post 24th Oct 2008, 01:03am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
you were,nt the first kid to do that ToriG tongue.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 24th Oct 2008, 12:26pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
At the sight of the ragman wi' his wee pony cart ah ran in tae the hoose and begged furr something tae get a balloon. The one time ma Mammy found some bits and pieces and gave me them. Ahw iz so excited wi visions of a balloon or a wee toy and fair ran tae the door when ma Mammy called oot, see if he's goat a plate or mug !!!!!, ............ma hopes wurr dashed because ye know he did!

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
olly12
post 13th Nov 2008, 11:02pm
Post #11

Visitor
Member No.: 6,105
my dad worked away a lot when we were all young my mawas telling me a long timeago i was just about 4/5 that he wascoming home for the weekend so she dressed me up and let me stand at the front of the close waiting for him she said he was on his way she said i had to look nice in my new coat and hat while waiting for him to come round the corner i got myself distractedwith the rag man and what did i do i gave him my new coat and hat for a balloon andi happly played away waiting for my dad mum said she ran up the street and down went round corners but the uld ragman was well gone.happy memories we laughed every time she spokeabout it.

+Quote Post
Teenybash
post 14th Nov 2008, 09:51am
Post #12

Visitor
Member No.: 4,860
Lovely memories of the Rag man. At the first sound of his bugle the street would clear as all the kids ran to their houses to get some rags. We'd all stand in line waiting for our turn to look inside his suitcase filled with a wonderful array of things to swap our rags for.

There were scraps, bouncy balls, trays of "diamond" rings that'd turn your fingers green, wee cameras with slides of Japanese people, stretchy bracelets and my favourite...."dabbities"....(transfer tattoos)

Does anyone remember the other rag man that only took woollens that he'd swap for bags of puff candy?

+Quote Post
*simon sharkey*
post 13th Feb 2014, 09:18pm
Post #13

Loving all this stuff about Rag and bone men. We are bringing a real live horse and cart to reidvale community centre in dennistoun on the 5th March. It's part of our Tin Forest project with national Theatre of Scotland. But he's not collecting clothes, he's collecting memories and wishes. What might you get if you swap a memory or a wish ? Is a balloon enough ?

+Quote Post
mairead
post 4th Nov 2014, 02:44pm
Post #14

Super Resident
Member No.: 26,634
Can still hear the cry of 'Delf for Rags' and see myself racing up to our top flat for some rags to get me a balloon or a goldfish but mother wanted most of the rags to swap for cups and things. Still we occasionally got something.

Does anyone remember the old knife sharpener who used to come round sharpening knives?

--------------------
The bluebell of Scotland is hanging her head
The Lion, once Rampant, in lying like dead

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 4th Nov 2014, 02:57pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (mairead @ 4th Nov 2014, 05:01pm) *
Can still hear the cry of 'Delf for Rags' and see myself racing up to our top flat for some rags to get me a balloon or a goldfish but mother wanted most of the rags to swap for cups and things. Still we occasionally got something.

Does anyone remember the old knife sharpener who used to come round sharpening knives?

When you think of it that grinding stone must have been a real back breaker at the end of the day, and also the man with the horse and cart that would give you a ride for a penny a time I think it was.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.