Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fags Cigarettes, MEMORIES
DOLKIN
post 29th Feb 2008, 10:15pm
Post #1

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
dont know if im in the right topic but something to discuss in this pc world of euro madness i began buying fags for parents graduating to smoking at the age of 14 do u remember any of the following brands and f=first s= second t=third on the playtime fags with schoolfriends

5 club

soveriegn

senior service

capstan full

navy cut

woodbine

embassy no.7

and of course singles out of any packet of cheapest ciggies the local shop or van had
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 29th Feb 2008, 10:23pm
Post #2

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
i remember Turf fags back in the 60ts

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 29th Feb 2008, 10:31pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
What about 5 bristol and 10 No6 and 10 No10 and a loose aff alex van in birgidale road 3pence old money or then it went to 5pence a loose noo You can get 50pence for one fag ,,,,,,,and a know that because Amy used to make money she would buy 10 fags and sell them when at school and then buy 20 when she sold them she made a lot of money a dont agree with it but if it wasent her it would have been sombody else and it was easy money

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 29th Feb 2008, 10:39pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
valley boy do you mind of the ones called pasha[were same age] used to get sent to ottos chip shop for ma dad the gave so many woodbine [8] and you had have 2 pasha they stunk tae the heavens laugh.gif

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 29th Feb 2008, 10:45pm
Post #5

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
lmao stuarty i wonder if amy went on to better business transactions done the same on a visit to doune safari park only mines was a bucket of fish to feed the sea lions only one in class to buy i made a small fortune when sea lions appeared selling bits of fish a handsome profit been self employed now for 24 yrs

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 1st Mar 2008, 03:50am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
When I first started smoking it was a packet of 5 Bristol then I graduated to 10 Gold Leaf as I began to earn more. Also smoked Players [no tips] and all the bits of shag [am I allowed to say that]? used to come out in your mouth, it was horrible. I remember Pasha cigarettes too Anne, they smelled like camel dung! When I felt really flush I bought Benson & Hedges if I was going to a dance or party. Does anyone remember Sobrani cigarettes? They were all pastel coloured and expensive, if I remember correctly.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 1st Mar 2008, 06:11am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
First time I saw Sobrani cigs was in the 70's.My daughter was then in London, she smoked them.
They had gold tips. Ever so posh.
Then there was Cogent from the co-op when getting groceriesin the early 60's.
My husband always smoked Senior Service. I smoked B&H when having a refreshment. Had neither since Sept. 12th 2003.(Yup, gave up both on the same day, only smoked on having refreshment) Strange for such addictions, I miss neither.biggrin.gif

Remember Craven A during the ww2(no me, a wiz 2 wee.)

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 22nd May 2008, 02:16am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (stratson @ 1st Mar 2008, 07:18 AM) *
First time I saw Sobrani cigs was in the 70's.My daughter was then in London, she smoked them.
They had gold tips. Ever so posh.
Then there was Cogent from the co-op when getting groceriesin the early 60's.
My husband always smoked Senior Service. I smoked B&H when having a refreshment. Had neither since Sept. 12th 2003.(Yup, gave up both on the same day, only smoked on having refreshment) Strange for such addictions, I miss neither.biggrin.gif

Remember Craven A during the ww2(no me, a wiz 2 wee.)

Awee , cum oan Auntie Strat!

I am wee wean an I remember these~ Ah think

Park Drive, 5 in a boax! 1/6 a packet or a 4d a single!

Wit a rip off.

I leaned to coont after that, then we when decimal, that ruined my education

So at 15, I gave up smoking and took up the brew!

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 1st Dec 2008, 05:05pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Weights.
Dominos.
Club.
Passing Clouds.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 1st Dec 2008, 09:40pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Remember the cocktail cigaretes, they were all different colours, very strong.
Consulate , they were menthol and I remember radio Luxembourg always used to advertise Peter Styversons.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
flam
post 1st Dec 2008, 10:34pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Gold Leaf ,Park Drive and Compass

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 2nd Dec 2008, 12:28am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Four-square

Dunhill

Gold-flake

Players please

Smoked since I was about 12,quit 4 years ago,but still have an occasional cigar.----terrible int'ah!

+Quote Post
klingon
post 15th Aug 2009, 03:54am
Post #13

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (maryhillgal @ 1st Mar 2008, 05:07am) *
When I first started smoking it was a packet of 5 Bristol then I graduated to 10 Gold Leaf as I began to earn more. Also smoked Players [no tips] and all the bits of shag [am I allowed to say that]? used to come out in your mouth, it was horrible. I remember Pasha cigarettes too Anne, they smelled like camel dung! When I felt really flush I bought Benson & Hedges if I was going to a dance or party. Does anyone remember Sobrani cigarettes? They were all pastel coloured and expensive, if I remember correctly.

Sobranie Cigarettes were either available as Sobranie Cocktail-(pastel coloured papers with a Gold tip-although they were actually plain cigarettes-the gold was just a band)-or Sobranie Black Russian-ubercool black cigarettes with a gold foil band -both made of Balkan tobacco and pretty pungent!
Pasha-were actually named "Yankee Pasha" and were Turkish cigarettes probably only ciggies freely available during the war as Turkey was neutral and could export them to the Uk without Adolf trying to sink them!-actually ok fags but stunk to high heaven!-favourite cry in the pictures-(smoking was allowed in the movies then) was "Och Who's smokin Bliddy Pasha!"-first fag I ever smoked-"Osborne navy cut" single fae wee shop in Glebe st-wiz 8-noo 56 and smokin 80 a day-cannae stoap it!

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.