Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Children's Home, Looking for clues
*Maz1954*
post 14th Jul 2011, 09:17am
Post #1

I wondered if anyone on this site could help me pad out an important part of my life. I was in a children's home for a period between 1954 and 1960 (dates unknown). I have no idea where the home was, but know that it was run by nuns. The family home was in Rolland Street, Maryhill. Does anybody remember a McDermott family from that street, now long demolished?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
irene seddon
post 22nd Aug 2011, 02:44pm
Post #2

Settling In
Member No.: 11,516
Hello, could it have been Belleview, in Rutherglen? My three cousins, Mae, John and Veronica Cairns were there in the 1940's. That was run by Nuns. Hope this helps. Regards Irene Seddon, Morecambe.

+Quote Post
irrie
post 22nd Aug 2011, 03:27pm
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
QUOTE (Maz1954 @ 14th Jul 2011, 10:03am) *
I wondered if anyone on this site could help me pad out an important part of my life. I was in a children's home for a period between 1954 and 1960 (dates unknown). I have no idea where the home was, but know that it was run by nuns. The family home was in Rolland Street, Maryhill. Does anybody remember a McDermott family from that street, now long demolished?

Hi Maz. It could have been Eastpark Home that was in Maryhill Rd not far from Rolland St. I vaguely remember McDermotts from Rolland st.My mothers family the Mc laughlans were from there and i lived there for a few years in the early 60s. Cheers

+Quote Post
irrie
post 23rd Aug 2011, 10:44am
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Hi maz. My ma says she remembers your family but she cant remember names except Abby. She will ask her sister Agnes later today she has a great memory. i will let you know what she says. Cheers

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 25th Aug 2011, 12:09am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi irrie it was not eastpark home as i worked there late fifties early sixties it was run by nurses as i used to go out whith one of them

+Quote Post
martin_glasgow
post 25th Aug 2011, 07:48am
Post #6

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,297
Hi...Regarding the Childrens Home In Maryhill ..There was a childrens home in Maryhill run By Nuns it was in Wilton Street..This Home was for Girls....My Mum worked there as a cleaner in the 70's
Hope this can add a bit more info on the topic...

Martin..

+Quote Post
*rita swan*
post 6th Mar 2017, 05:56pm
Post #7

I was also in childrens home don't know how long I was born in Abbortsford Place Govan still don't know home I was in but must have been nuns my dad was called John Swan his dad Edward Morrison Swan.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 7th Mar 2017, 10:32am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Could it have been the Magdalene Institution on Lochburn Rd. It closed in 1958. Mary

+Quote Post
**rita**
post 20th Apr 2017, 10:32pm
Post #9

QUOTE (Maz1954 @ 14th Jul 2011, 09:17am) *

I was I a childrens home ran by nuns cant find it myself my name rita swan my brother john and sister alice were there as well come from abbortsford road 1960s looking for rita McLaren my mum born 1950s who married john murray swan.

+Quote Post
**rita**
post 20th Apr 2017, 10:33pm
Post #10

QUOTE (rita swan @ 6th Mar 2017, 05:56pm) *
I was also in childrens home don't know how long I was born in Abbortsford Place Govan still don't know home I was in but must have been nuns my dad was called John Swan his dad Edward Morrison Swan.

I ment john swans dads name was Donald Morrison swan.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.