I knew it as, ' tartan legs'.
I remember the days of putting the shovel in front of the fire with a newspaper across it to draw the fire and help it light quicker. You had to watch it incase the paper caught fire.
When my parents moved with us to Barlanark, it was a five apartment house and the only fire place was in the living room. The upstairs of the house was freezing in the Winter. So we got a paraffin fire to heat up the bedrooms, and we used to sneak into whichever bedroom had the heater and move it in our own bedroom.
We do not have a fireplace, as the house's where we live were built with Gas Central Heating only.