Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Time For A Benny Lynch Statue?, Should city's sporting legend be honoured?
GG
post 11th Jul 2010, 11:14am
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
There has been quite a bit of chatter in the press and online lately about the possibility of erecting a new statue in Glasgow, with suggestions that the likes of Lulu, Robbie Coltrane, Rab C Nesbitt or Lorraine Kelly might merit their own statue in the city. Today, the Sunday Mail has reported that a Facebook group has been set up to campaign for a statue in Glasgow of Billy Connolly ... in the nude!

However, if a new statue is to be erected in Glasgow, it is worth noting that one of Glasgow's greatest ever sporting heroes, and the first Scot ever to win a world boxing title, Benny Lynch, has never been honoured with a statue.

Benny grew up in poverty in the Gorbals in the 1920s. He overcame the squalor of his childhood him to become flyweight boxing champion of the world at the age of only 22.

Benny's rags-to-riches story very quickly descended into personal tagedy: by the age of 25, already suffering from alcohol addiction, Benny lost his unified world title without throwing a punch, after he failed to make the weight for a bout to defend his title. Benny died of pneumonia brought on by malnutrition and alcoholism in 1946, aged only 33.

With the 100th anniversary of Benny's birth being celebrated in 2013, and the fact that Glasgow is to host the Commonwealth Games the following year, now might be a great time for a statue to one of the city's most-loved sporting legends.

Watch the Benny Lynch documentary, in 3 parts, below:

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Tony S**
post 11th Jul 2010, 12:15pm
Post #2

I am Too Young To remember him but I have read his book and heard a lot about him from my late Dad.

He Was not only a hero to the Gorbals but to the whole of Glasgow so If anyone deserves a Statue, he does .

+Quote Post
tmh65bundy
post 11th Jul 2010, 12:27pm
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,227
I have just started a facebook group Glasgow should Erect a statue of Benny Lynch please get your freinds to join even invite people you dont like the more people who join the more pressure we can put on the council to erect it. Billy Connolly is a fine man but Benny was a world champion and the first from Glasgow.

+Quote Post
DOOHILL
post 11th Jul 2010, 01:07pm
Post #4

Resident
Member No.: 8,657
I think the new statue for Glasgow should be either Manny Shinwell or Wee Wullie Winkie. They are part the Glasgow history.

--------------------
ciao
AYE READY

+Quote Post
beth
post 11th Jul 2010, 01:49pm
Post #5

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
From the choices given think Benny Lynch deserves it most. Had heard of him but never knew his personal story.

+Quote Post
**rabatat**
post 11th Jul 2010, 01:51pm
Post #6

Good idea. If there is to be an inscription, may I suggest some lines from the Matt McGinn song "Benny Has Been"?

+Quote Post
dunt
post 11th Jul 2010, 02:02pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,493
A big yes, there is far more to be learned from Benny's life of greatness, sadness and loneliness than any of the others. Went to school with his son John. Benny' fights fights were memorable. A great Glasgow legend.

+Quote Post
*longbeach*
post 11th Jul 2010, 02:02pm
Post #8

My pick would be Benny Lynch, hard times bring out the hunger to win, remember no nhs no handouts, he used what he had his left & his right and became a Scottish world champion so its Benny for me.

+Quote Post
Taylor9
post 11th Jul 2010, 02:18pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 6,735
Yes,I think he deserved it.the others mentioned no.............dont deserve such a honour.

I would love to come to Glasgow one day and see a statue of Benny,Yes without a doubt.

+Quote Post
rikkiduncan
post 11th Jul 2010, 02:25pm
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 8,661
I'd rather see a Benny Lynch statue erected than a Billy Connolly erection...oooh errr matron...lol

Oh aye and there is a Benny Lynch wall mural on the multi story across from the Citizens Theatre which may be destroyed when the flats come down.

--------------------
How come I always get the wee leg when the family have Haggis for tea ?

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 11th Jul 2010, 02:27pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
I'm sure Benny is as good a suggestion as any I've seen offered up - But, I'm equally sure, there will be a vociferous, robust and effective opposition to the erection of a statue to a former 'pugulist'.

I would like to see a statue, to the 'common auld working chap, as anyone else can see' wearin' a wee bunnet, and scoffin' a fish supper!
Any resident sculptors, up for the challenge???
In fact, I'd even DONATE towards it! ohmy.gif (help wi materials that is - no ma body!! hahahaha)

In fact,... I might just set up my own Facebook page fur it!
Lorraine Kelly? ,... is sumday huvvin a laugh?
Gimme a fish supper, any day ai the week lol (Sorry Lorraine, darlin)
Anyways - she's frae Dundee, iz she no?

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Jul 2010, 02:28pm
Post #12

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (*rabatat* @ 11th Jul 2010, 03:08pm) *
Good idea. If there is to be an inscription, may I suggest some lines from the Matt McGinn song "Benny Has Been"?

Good idea Rabata, here's the words:

Benny Lynch by Matt McGinn

The whole of the river sang, Benny has been
Benny has been, Benny has been
Down in the city that never was mean
We all sang, Benny has been

Up from the heart of the Gorbals he rose
Don't tramp on his toes for everyone knows
From then on when we see the bend in your nose
We'll all sing, Benny has been

Down to the shows Benny went as a youth
To fight in the booth, I'll tell you the truth
Many's the big man was short of a tooth
As he sang, Young Benny has been

To Manchester City young Benny went down
To fight Jackie Brown, he picked up the crown
He came back in triumph to old Glasgow town
And the city sang, Benny has been

He beat Small Montana, he floored Peter Kane
Sent him back to train, then downed him again
The lynch-pin of boxing inflicted more pain
And the city sang, Benny has been

The city had T.B., the city had booze
Her victims she'd choose, and send out the news
That Benny would win and then Benny would lose
And the city sang, Benny has been.
GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Jul 2010, 02:33pm
Post #13

Administrator
Group Icon
And, yes, it's on Youtube:

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 11th Jul 2010, 02:34pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
QUOTE (rikkiduncan @ 11th Jul 2010, 03:42pm) *
I'd rather see a Benny Lynch statue erected than a Billy Connolly erection...oooh errr matron...lol

Oh aye and there is a Benny Lynch wall mural on the multi story across from the Citizens Theatre which may be destroyed when the flats come down.

I just spotted this, rikki - in all seriousness now, do you think it might form the basis for a memorial to him? How apt for him to 'rise from the ashes' out of a block of flats! Something quite magnificently romantic about this - and would go a long way to gagging the critics.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
**marion Law**
post 11th Jul 2010, 02:38pm
Post #15

Personally - I would love to see a stature of Charles Rennie Mackintosh in Glasgow. Art and design are one of our mainoften unnoticed features here. And the gift of being able to produce even something very simplistic in artwork brings so many benefits to others. I have read his life story and to me he is a fine, fine example of how our own kin should be. Boxing is okay it is a sport - We have many sports - Too little culture and gentleness. We need mentors of other arts to look back on.

My opinion.

Marion

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.