Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

700 Pages V  « < 644 645 646 647 648 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Whit Ye Dae'in The Day?, Tell whit wee adventure ye've goat on the day?
Heather
post 20th Jan 2015, 05:00pm
Post #9676

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
GQ, enjoy your lunch and chat.

As I am bored stuck indoors I went out side to see what the weather was like and it was very cold. So I stayed home.

The TV was not very good, so I have spent the day watching The Jolson Story and Jolson Sings Again.
I was so busy watching it I forgot about the series ' When Calls the Heart' that I watch every day.

Last night we watched a programme about ' Britain's Secret Slave's'.
It was dreadful to hear how badly those people are treated getting paid 50pence an hour and some getting paid nothing and made to work long hours every day and treated very badly.
Even worse for the one's who are trafficked into Britain.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zascot
post 21st Jan 2015, 08:28am
Post #9677

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
QUOTE (Heather @ 20th Jan 2015, 05:17pm) *
G
Last night we watched a programme about ' Britain's Secret Slave's'.
paid 50pence an hour and some getting paid nothing and made to work long hours every day and treated very badly.

It`s tough being a husband Heather biggrin.gif

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 22nd Jan 2015, 07:02pm
Post #9678

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
Spent the day looking after my three year old grandson, at their house. His dad and I took him into the village (Wheathampstead) to have his hair cut, a short back and sides, sort of. He was as good as gold, sat nice and still even though he doesn't like having it done. I was amazed when my son in law was charged £11 for the lad's haircut. My husband doesn't even pay that to have his done!!

Anyway, my drive home was not too pleasant as it is getting very cold here and I reckon it will freeze overnight.

Things to look forward to (apart from family things): Just booked to see Casablanca at our local tiny cinema on Valentine's night, followed by a meal at the local Greek restaurant.

My friend rang and she has got us tickets to see Blake http://www.blakeofficial.com/live/ in early March. We have been to see them before and enjoyed it.

Same friend told me she now has the tickets through for us to see Justin Hayward in July at the St Albans Arena.

All is well with the world.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 22nd Jan 2015, 08:29pm
Post #9679

Mega City Key Holder
Sascot, I know that is not how you spell your name, but my Laptop won't type the first letter of your name. rolleyes.gif

Aye it's a hard life being a Husband, but honestly that programme was shocking, and even more was that this type of slavery can happen in modern day Britain.

GQ, you really have a lot of good nights to look forward to. Enjoy them.

£11 to get a wee boy's hair cut, that is almost as much as I pay to get a cut and blow dry.

I had to walk on the road in the wee Estate where I live when I went out shopping today.
The pavements where I live are like ice rinks, I was slipping all over the place and was glad to get to the Main Street where the pavements are quite clear of snow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 23rd Jan 2015, 03:53pm
Post #9680

Mega City Key Holder
From snow to pouring rain. At least it washed all the snow away.

I did my good turn today, I went out and got my husband' newspapers and the rain was so heavy my trousers and jacket were soaking. I had to change into a dry pair of trousers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 23rd Jan 2015, 04:31pm
Post #9681

Super City Key Holder
I'm glad the snow has gone now, Heather. Let's hope that's it for the year now.

Getting soaked through is no joke though. A nice hot bath, maybe?

-3degrees here this morning and colder still in other parts of Hertfordshire. I had to scrape ice off the inside of my car windscreen before I could move it for my daughter to park her car on my drive. I put little Eddie in the pushchair and took him into town to pick up some shopping and it was really freezing on the way down the hill. But it warmed up and was actually warm in the sun on the way back. Tomorrow is meant to be 5 degrees and sunny here so I might get out to paint the shed. I have ordered a nice, round pedestal table to go with the four chairs I bought for my shed/summerhouse so looking forward to getting that, to the weather improving so that I can move down there, lol.

I've got a chicken meal cooking in my new tagine so looking forward to a nice evening indoors in the warm, a glass or two of wine and a bit of tv. Bliss!!

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th Jan 2015, 04:14pm
Post #9682

Mega City Key Holder
GQ, what is a Tagine, I have never heard of it.

I was going through an old jewellery box and found a florin dated 1919, a one penny dated 1916, a half crown dated 1960 and a two shilling dated 1961.

I wonder if they are of any value. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 25th Jan 2015, 06:13pm
Post #9683

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tajine

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 25th Jan 2015, 07:44pm
Post #9684

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Sitting with the front and back doors open, two ceiling fans on full blast and it is still to hot and humid, never went to the beach until two o'clock because it was far to hot at 36c
Now at almost 10 at nIght it's still 25c

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 25th Jan 2015, 07:55pm
Post #9685

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Thanks Dave, we really needed to hear that biggrin.gif
Enjoy
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 25th Jan 2015, 10:34pm
Post #9686

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Heather @ 25th Jan 2015, 04:31pm) *
GQ, what is a Tagine, I have never heard of it.

I was going through an old jewellery box and found a florin dated 1919, a one penny dated 1916, a half crown dated 1960 and a two shilling dated 1961.

I wonder if they are of any value. laugh.gif

Bilbo.s has put a link to what a Tagine is, Heather. It is just another kind of cooking pot really. I like to experiment and am working my way through a cookbook.

I love seeing the old money, it brings back such memories. I remember my next door neighbour used to give me a thrupenny bit for getting the evening paper for him. If you had a sixpence, you really thought you had something. A shilling or more was very rare indeed when I was a child. I remember my mum used to save "bun pennies" and they used to say that one of the pennies (can't remember the date) was rare and worth something but I never did find out. I also remember my sister going to see the last trams in Glasgow and people put coins down and they got bent.

Whilst I would love to have more of it, lol, today's money just doesn't feel as solid as the old money.

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 25th Jan 2015, 10:37pm
Post #9687

Super City Key Holder
It is my son's 37th birthday today and he popped in with my daughter in law, their six year old daughter and their one week old baby boy, Jake.

My day was made!

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 25th Jan 2015, 10:43pm
Post #9688

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 25th Jan 2015, 09:01pm) *
Sitting with the front and back doors open, two ceiling fans on full blast and it is still to hot and humid, never went to the beach until two o'clock because it was far to hot at 36c
Now at almost 10 at nIght it's still 25c

Och, it's your summer. We had 23C today and still 12C at midnight, and it's our winter !

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 26th Jan 2015, 05:43am
Post #9689

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 26th Jan 2015, 01:00am) *
Och, it's your summer. We had 23C today and still 12C at midnight, and it's our winter !

I think you have lived there long enough bill to know it's not the temp that's the killer but the humidity

+Quote Post
RonD
post 26th Jan 2015, 09:58am
Post #9690

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
QUOTE (gardenqueen @ 25th Jan 2015, 11:51pm) *
Whilst I would love to have more of it, lol, today's money just doesn't feel as solid as the old money.

I remember when I thought my Mum was rich because she had a purse full of shillings and half crowns ( well not exactly full) but like you say heavy with coins rather than notes. Even as a kid if you six pennies in your pocket it weighed you down. We have are reverting to that same feeling here in Canada as the one dollar and two dollar bill became coins. There was even talk of the five dollar bill going the same route but it has morphed in in the new paper bills with a slice of clinging film through it with a halograph of the queen on it. The one dollar coin has a loon on the reverse and quickly became know as the a loonie and nine years alter when the two dollar coin came out it became a two-nie. When the two-nie came out it had a picture of the queen on the head and polar bear on the reverse. The running joke in the description of the coin was a picture of the queen with a bear (bare) behind!

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post

700 Pages V  « < 644 645 646 647 648 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.