Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ho-o-ome Cookin, Ho-o-ome Cookin', ... how's about cookin' somethin' up for me ...
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Oct 2017, 10:29pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
laugh.gif That's easy for you tae say, Wom laugh.gif
Today's rice problem was easily solved.
Part of our weekly menu is Chinese take-away on Friday evening (I know rolleyes.gif )
So as there's always enuff rice Mary saves from her boiled rice any way and I always give her a fair dollop of ma flyed lice too, to go on her plate on Saturdays and Sundays.
So while the Stroganov was being done (Irish filet steaks this time) her rice was warming up in a pan on another ring ... nae flys (rice or no) on this wee kiddy tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 2nd Oct 2017, 10:14pm
Post #47

QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 14th Sep 2017, 08:45pm) *
In that case Billy I'll throw in a cup of Tsingtao beer and see where that takes me tongue.gif

I'm hoping your next reply contains a recipe that I can try out biggrin.gif
Hey, Ah'm buyin' aw the tools and Ah'm rarin' tae go laugh.gif

Mary looks funny at me when I mention Wokin' the dog ... get down Gunter! rolleyes.gif

Are fresh asparagus available in D'land at the moment???. Generally not being a purist I tend to use Manjo Mirin Japanese rice wine (already sweetened). Will send some easy Asian single wok cooked recipes a soon.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 2nd Oct 2017, 10:15pm
Post #48

QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 30th Sep 2017, 11:04am) *
Mary gettin' her shopping list sorted out and since we're going out tonight I said to her that that means shell only have to buy filet steaks for Sunday dinner but she said that we're not having steaks although she is buying the filet but that's for the Stroganov that she liked so much the other week .. but I must pay attention to her rice this time tongue.gif

TH. Youse is supposed tae bile rice befor youse eat it!!!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 2nd Oct 2017, 10:19pm
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
Naw Billy, that big burd ae mine eats it.: Ah eat the totties an' Ah'm no gonnae bile her rice wi' ma spuds tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 5th Oct 2017, 03:12pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Tomi, notwithstanding the other advice you’ve had with cooking rice……….

I’ve been using this method for 35 years, it does require two things (apart from the obvious), a microwave and a plastic (or microwavable) colander. Get plenty of boiling water on the go with a little salt added. Stick in a couple of handfuls of easy cook long grain or basmati rice and simmer until ready, (about 10mins and 7mins respectively). When it’s ready (with a little bite to it rather than mush) empty it into the colander and rinse under cold water. Leave the colander on the cooking pot (off the heat) for a few minutes so that some of the excess moisture drains*. Stick the colander of rice, uncovered, into the microwave and heat on full power for about 2 to 2.5 minutes and it will be ready to eat.

Alternatively, for egg fried rice without the first two bits of kit, follow the process for long grain rice to the asterisk. Beat a couple of eggs with salt and pepper and gentle fry in a pan, omelette style, until cooked but not burnt or dried out. Turn out onto a board and chop into little strips. Get 4 or 5 syboes (spring or green onions or whatever they are getting called this week) and slice into pea sized bits. Heat a wok or large pan, add wok or groundnut (or sunflower but not olive) oil. Throw in the cold rice, break in another egg, a tablespoon(ish) soy sauce and stir fry for a few minutes. Add the cooked egg and syboes and continue to stir fry until it’s all piping hot but don’t allow it to dry out (or it will taste like sawdust yes.gif ).

Other embellishments can be added at the egg and onion stage, like sliced mushrooms, cooked chicken or prawns. Not sure it would work with square sausage though tongue.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Oct 2017, 06:46pm
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Ash. you're wizard ...
... try this wan oan tongue.gif

Attached Image

Ah'll have buy a few packets of rice for this because, knowin' me, Ah'll no' get it right first time rolleyes.gif
... but, if nothin' else, I do attempt to try, I do persistently persevere, I do practice patience etc. & etc. but up till now (including last night -Wed.) Ah'm rubbish wi' rice. biggrin.gif
However, no one has ever taken the trouble to show me the secrets as you have ... cool3.gif

Watch this space ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 6th Oct 2017, 07:54am
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Thanks, with the weather having turned Baltic over here, a wee hat to cover ma baldy heid is very welcome tongue.gif

The trouble with the "absorption" method of cooking rice is that,unless you wash it several times first, it retains a lot of starch. Great if you want Thai sticky rice but not if you want fluffy stuff that will soak up Chinese or curry sauces huh.gif

Good luck thumbup.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.