Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scotland Gets 50p-per-unit Alcohol Price, Minimum unit pricing of alcohol from next year
GG
post 21st Oct 2016, 09:11pm
Post #181

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Scottish courts back minimum alcohol price

Plans to set a minimum price for alcohol in Scotland have been backed by the Scottish courts.

The Court of Session in Edinburgh ruled against a challenge by the Scotch whisky industry, who claimed the plans were a breach of European Law.

The ruling now paves the way for the Scottish government to implement its policy, passed by MSPs in 2012.

However, the judgement could be appealed by the drinks industry at the UK Supreme Court in London.

Under the plans, a price of 50p per unit of alcohol would be set, taking a bottle of spirits to at least £14.

The Scottish government, health professionals, police, alcohol charities and some members of the drinks industry believe minimum pricing would help address Scotland's "unhealthy relationship with drink".

But the Scotch Whisky Association and wine makers brought a challenge claiming it was a breach of trade law.

They said other policies should be considered as an alternative to minimum pricing, including an increase in tax. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-37725251

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 23rd Oct 2016, 08:37pm
Post #182

QUOTE (GG @ 21st Oct 2016, 09:11pm) *

Honestly I see it as having little or no effect. I am in no way sure of the buying power of Sterling, but £14 seems all to cheap for a bottle of spirits. (cheap spirits in AUS. $30). It appears political tinkering around the edges s done in an effort to assume that politicians are, if only in appearance, making an effort to solve the problem. An Irishman I worked with once made a remark that the worst drinkers he ever encountered were Glasgow Scots. He referred to them as "professional drinkers". This pride in conspicuous consumption has long blighted the Scottish social scene, (I am not exempt from) and the problem is not availability, (France, Germany, Italy Spain etc. have far more availability as to alcoholic beverages than the Scottish experience), but without the accompanying violence and drinking in danger.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 24th Oct 2016, 06:38pm
Post #183

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
Hi all,

I have just re-read the 13 pages of posts going back to early 2012. Well done Scotland!

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 24th Oct 2016, 10:49pm
Post #184

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
This is developing into a situation where the SNP may finish up shooting themselves in the foot.

Forgetting about the argument for setting a minimum price for alcohol, what is interesting is that the SNP has won the 'first round' by getting the Court of Session backing for their change to the pricing of alchohol. The whiskey association is now threatening to go to the Supreme Court, arguing that this breaks EU trade laws.

Isn't the SNP all for EU trade for Scotland?

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 25th Oct 2016, 08:09am
Post #185

Super City Key Holder
I think the issue with EU trade law has already been previously dealt with in 2013 - they passed it back to the local jurisdiction to determine what they do.

With regard to the Scottish Whisky Association (SWA) continuing to pursue the matter via the UK Supreme Court that remains to be seen.

As the SWA products would be largely unaffected by MAP - 80% is exported - I personally don't see whats in it for them other than to incur more legal costs.

The 20% of whisky consumed in the UK the bulk would be branded products largely unaffected by MAP. I don't know the percentage of whisky actually drink in Scotland but if I was guessing maybe only 1-2% of the total. Deduct from this unaffected branded products then the own labeled 'value' products which would be affected by MAP must be very small indeed.

http://www.thenational.scot/news/scotch-wh...on-ruling.23888

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 25th Oct 2016, 06:46pm
Post #186

Super City Key Holder
Surprise announcement today that David Frost the Chief Executive of Scottish Whisky Association has resigned. He is going to work as a special advisor to Boris Johnson in the Foreign Office. Starts his new job on 4th November.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scot...siness-37765156

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th Nov 2016, 10:27pm
Post #187

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A related story today:
Scots NHS bosses suggest alcohol sale ban before 5pm

Shops could be told to stop selling alcohol during the day under new NHS proposals to curb the harm caused by drinking.

Public health experts from NHS Shetland suggested that sales of drink should be banned until late afternoon or evening as part of a new report on substance abuse.

The report’s authors warn that alcohol has become “embedded” in society, citing figures that around three quarters of all alcohol drunk in Scotland was now bought from supermarkets or off licences.

There are currrently around 670 hospital admissions a week in Scotland due to alcohol, while 22 people die every seven days from related conditions.

The report said: “Restricting licensing hours would be a big help, if off-sales were not permitted until late afternoon or evening rather than from 10am.” [...]

Full story here:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scots-nhs-bos...e-5pm-1-4279465

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 7th Nov 2016, 10:49pm
Post #188

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (GG @ 7th Nov 2016, 11:27pm) *
A related story today:

Full story here:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scots-nhs-bos...e-5pm-1-4279465

GG.

IMHO this proposal is without merit, much as is the minimum price scheme. Neither will have any effect on the problem. More civilised countries have no such restrictions, cheaper alcohol and easier access without silly timetables, without the drunken behaviour seen by many British both at home and abroad. I fear I do not know the answer to the problem as it seems to be an ingrained part of British "culture", although the majority of citizens drink and act responsibly. Is poverty the cause? I don't think so, as young people from affluent backgrounds are also affected. There is poverty in other countries without the same result. I wish I knew the solution, but neither pricing nor the tightening of already illogical licensing hours will achieve anything.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 8th Nov 2016, 11:03am
Post #189

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Good grief ! I agree with everything bilbo wrote.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Nov 2016, 01:58pm
Post #190

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 8th Nov 2016, 12:03pm) *
Good grief ! I agree with everything bilbo wrote.

Dinna fash yersel! biggrin.gif Just as no two people are likely to agree on everything, no two people are likely to disagree on everything.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 8th Nov 2016, 07:46pm
Post #191

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 7th Nov 2016, 10:49pm) *
IMHO this proposal is without merit, much as is the minimum price scheme. Neither will have any effect on the problem. More civilised countries have no such restrictions, cheaper alcohol and easier access without silly timetables, without the drunken behaviour seen by many British both at home and abroad. I fear I do not know the answer to the problem as it seems to be an ingrained part of British "culture", although the majority of citizens drink and act responsibly. Is poverty the cause? I don't think so, as young people from affluent backgrounds are also affected. There is poverty in other countries without the same result. I wish I knew the solution, but neither pricing nor the tightening of already illogical licensing hours will achieve anything.

rolleyes.gif thumbup.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 9th Nov 2016, 09:13pm
Post #192

QUOTE (droschke7 @ 14th May 2012, 01:08am) *
Easy for you to say Ian But last time i looked Reading wasn't in Scotland,

If that is the reason why is Spain, Greece and Portugal devoid of (except in the case of dysfunctional U.K. drunks) of all violent, aggressive and dangerous drunks. Yet are subject to freely available cheap alcohol on a 24 hour per day basis???

+Quote Post
wombat
post 9th Nov 2016, 09:30pm
Post #193

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (Talisman @ 9th Nov 2016, 10:13pm) *
If that is the reason why is Spain, Greece and Portugal devoid of (except in the case of dysfunctional U.K. drunks) of all violent, aggressive and dangerous drunks. Yet are subject to freely available cheap alcohol on a 24 hour per day basis???

rolleyes.gif Ermm,perhaps they have a different mentality in those countries talisman yes.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.