Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Muscular Arms, one of the first theme pubs
sumac
post 17th Oct 2006, 12:06pm
Post #1

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
I loved The Muscular Arms pub! on the ground floor was the bar. on the first floor was the Glam bar with Marilyn Monroe/Bryan Ferry type pics and atmosphere. On the next floor was the Singl-End. It had the "waashin' hingin' acroass the ceilin' an' a big windaesole". It was done out like a single-end and I could have sat there for hours just looking! (And I did!) Aye - many's the time I was I.D.d at the door, even though we were regulars there. I don't think that'll be happeneing any time soon! laugh.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Yvonne*
post 17th Mar 2007, 04:03am
Post #2

I loved the Muscular arms and was a try hard in the Bryan Ferry - Marylin Monroe lookalike bar.... of course I had to plaster on the make up as I was only 15 at the time. I used to was my make up off before returning home and suck a packet of polo mints on the way home on the 61 bus so that my mam would believe I was at my friends house studying. Then of caouse there was the SCOTIA!@!!!

+Quote Post
gallowgategal
post 4th Sep 2007, 09:34pm
Post #3

Settling In
Member No.: 4,498
I worked in the Muscular Arms for 2 weeks in 1979. I was more used to working in "local" pubs than in town so when I was asked for a white wine I served it in a sherry glass smile.gif

After that I seemed to just wash glasses constantly so upped and left biggrin.gif

--------------------
Have I missed anything ??? ???

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 1st Dec 2008, 04:00pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
My recollection of The Muscular Arms (near to Royal Exchange Sq????) was that it was a real poser's pub. Or so I was led to believe - as I never managed to get in due to it having a door policy that excluded people like me an my pals - ''not tonight pal'. Mind you we used to try to get in after drinkin excessive amounts of lager at the Beer Keller or in the Burns Howf so maybe that put them off.

But mind you I could be thinking about the wrong place. Did you go upstairs to it?

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
**sheila**
post 10th Oct 2009, 04:18pm
Post #5

Loved the Muscular Arms - worked there during my college years in the early 70's. Saw the Celtic team of that time coming in - especially Kenny Dalglish who wa handsome back then!!

+Quote Post
bearsdenflyer
post 10th Apr 2011, 07:30pm
Post #6

Settling In
Member No.: 10,298
the muskies the pub with 4 bars on different floors many a happy night in their back in the 70`s sadly missed

+Quote Post
*Seoras Macdonald*
post 22nd May 2011, 12:09am
Post #7

....I drank in the Musky c.'72-'75, always on the ground floor. I never had a problem with the door and it went through a series of managers - Ronnie Manson was one. He organised a lot of Muscular Dystrophy Charity Aid and regularly then won the 'biggest contributor of the year' for the pub. One stunt was an annual 20-mile charity walk, very well organised. And fancy-dress parties. At least two of the barmaids then were featured in DEVINE CHOICE, a photo-study in the Evening Times: Carol Sinclair and an Iris whose surname I've forgotten. Carol appeared in it twice because she was the first barmaid in NICO's bar in Sauchiehall St c.'78. It later became an Art School haunt for students from The Mackintosh School nearby. NICO's bar is still there under the same name.
I left Glasgow in '78 but I attend the Art School Degree Show each year (aye, I studied there) so I see something of Glasgow annually.
I doubt The Musky was at all 'gay'. The sexes were usually 50/50 and I never met any gay types there.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 22nd Jun 2012, 11:31am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
It was a great pub and was the place everyone wanted to go to at the weekends. I knew it pretty well as i was a steward in the white elephant disco in the early 70's and every evening some of the WE staff would meet up at the Musky for a quick drink before starting work. As the Musky was under the same ownership as the WE i would occasionally do door duty there and i can certainly confirm that "sorry not tonite mate" was in frequent use as we were very fussy on the sort of folk we wanted in

Brings back many happy memories laugh.gif

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Miab
post 10th Aug 2016, 06:47pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,081
My pals and I worked there for most of 1978 and some of 79. We worked hard but partied well too!
Two of us left Glasgow in 1980...we came back several times but it was never the same. Our managers were Mike Caulder & John Campbell...Mike had a great knack of picking future number ones long before they were. I will always have fond memories of the Musky...

+Quote Post
**tiger**
post 23rd Mar 2017, 07:12pm
Post #10

anyone remember pool tournaments sat am first 16 names in the single end?

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.