Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Last Gorbals Boy Dies, An image which captured Glasgow's optimism
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Jul 2011, 02:39am
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (GG @ 15th Jul 2011, 01:14pm) *
I love the discarded (lost?) 'sucker' arrow in the photo just next to George Davis's right foot.

GG.

Specsavers, here I come. I've looked at that picture for days and never noticed that wee sucker arrow ... and I've had enuff o' them stuck tae ma broo. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 16th Jul 2011, 11:29am
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Read Maureens wee story aboot cardboard in yer shoes aye I did that i had 3 sisters and they were iwies first in the queue fer shoes an claes ,that was explained tae me by my wee maw an tae be truthful i didnae mind there wis cases wie kids wearing cut doon welly boots the wellys lasted longer than shoe leather summer an winter nae kiddin .

The wan thing this life instilled in me was family comes first I had 4 kids still got my Cesarean marks tongue.gif and they got the best that was going both me an my misses worked full time, my mother in law a gem brought them up really ,she lived wie us when we got oor big hoose in Pollok ,stews, mince, soup ,fish was the order o the dad porridge every morn an chicken wance a month that wis not as common as i is noo ,an they in turn continued orr wey o life when they got merrit, yep looking back they wis tough times in the 40's but you know whit we were aw happy never felt doontrodden pic's on a setterday morn ,good western Roy ,Hoppy ,an Gene Autry wis the hero's ,Three stoogies iwies made me laugh ye came hame happy as a sand boy they wis the good auld bad auld days if you will. wink.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 16th Jul 2011, 03:34pm
Post #63

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 15th Jul 2011, 08:18pm) *
... also what year is your map from? As it give's Cleland St As Greenview St to Hospital St (now Laurieston Rd). I always thought it was Cleland St from Main St (Gorbals St) To Crown St, perhaps some older Ex Gorbals residents could put me right.

Thanks JAGZ1876, the map is from 1896, maybe a bit old as it predates the photo by more than 50 years. There's a full download of the map here:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2542/421852...20a522938_o.jpg

Well worth a look!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 16th Jul 2011, 06:43pm
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
Hi GG, i have just checked a map from 1913, which also gives that part of Cleland St as Greenview St. So the question is when and why it was changed, i definitely remember it being called Cleland St in the 60's. It's funny how something comes along and totally changes something you always thought to be true.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 16th Jul 2011, 11:05pm
Post #65

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I can't add any more to the great comments previously made here about this truly iconic picture of 40's Glasgow weans. Yes, it could just as well have been wee Rab and his brother Ian out to play with Mammys warning 'Don't go too far and don't be late back fur yer dinner!' Too far? Some hopes she had - the world was where we wanted to go and what we wanted it to be! We could be away all day and we were trusted to look after ourselves. The boys attire is memorable and I expect a snake-belt may be hidden somewhere!
Thanks Bert.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 17th Jul 2011, 05:30pm
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Ye ken wit, the spirit lives on. Heres wan to warm the cockles o' yer hearts and wan fur the lassies tae.

Looks to be from a wee bit later in wit I think is Dalmarnock Road.

Attached Image

Anywan fur a wee hudgy in the bried van!?

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 18th Jul 2011, 12:13am
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi GG, I have checked my maps and looked at the photo of the two boys
My thinking is that the camera man was looking to Crown st, thats the tenements behind the boys
If the camera man had his back to Crown st he would have the railway bridge that runs between Gorbals st and Hospital st in the shot
I think the boys are crossing the rd in between Thistle st and Hospital st
The building you see behind the boy on the right is J W Galloways Bacon curers, I can send you a copy and you will see that building is in the phot
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
GG
post 18th Jul 2011, 12:34am
Post #68

Administrator
Group Icon
Great Norrie, thanks for this. The railway bridge was central to my thinking also: as you say, the photographer (Bert Hardy) would really have needed to be standing with his back to the bridge to get the shot, so I'd agree with you that "boys are crossing the rd in between Thistle st and Hospital st".

One thing I picked up on the research was that – even when George and Les were identified as the boys in the nineties – they couldn't remember where the photograph had been taken but, on prompting, they did remember Bert asking them if it was okay to take their photograph!

[P.S. I'll PM you to get the copy.]

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 18th Jul 2011, 12:41am
Post #69

Administrator
Group Icon
The following is 'an appreciation' of Les mason's life written by his daughter, Julie:

Les Mason: Glasgow icon and shipyard worker
Born: October 9, 1940; Died: July 7, 2011.

Les Mason, who has died aged 70, is a part of Gorbals and Glasgow history thanks to the enduring fame of one photograph.

However, he actually moved from Gorbals when quite young, first to Bridgeton and then to Calton when he first married Margaret. They eventually settled in the Knightswood area of Glasgow in the early 1970s and he worked as a driver’s mate first for Whisky Bonds and then BRS, before entering the shipbuilding industry as a docker for Yarrow’s shipyard. From a young age he took on the role of the father figure for his younger brothers and sisters due to his father being away at sea a lot. That role, to them, is something that has never been lost. In times of trouble he was the one that they all turned to.

Les married Margaret Moore Graves in Sacred Heart Church, Bridegton, in May 1965. A year later their first child, Julie, was born, followed, a year and two days later, by Linda. Six years on they had their third child, Scott. The family had settled down in Knightswood where Les worked in Yarrows. He retired in 1996 following a stroke.

He was a true working-class man, who worked for his family and never stopped. He worked hard in Yarrows in all weather and he worked hard in the home. He loved DIY, gardening and cooking, with clootie dumpling being a speciality.

He could also celebrate in the true working-class way – the Fair Friday tradition, and one of the children would meet him at Yarrow’s main gate, shopping trolley in hand, waiting for him to come out and open his pay packet so they could do the shopping. Then he and his mates would head off to the Dry Dock on Dumbarton Road.

After a while, you would see Les, zig-zagging down Caldwell Avenue, face shining, work bag slung over his shoulder, throwing change to children he met on the street. Once home his own children would pounce.

One day during the mid-1980s, Margaret returned from work clutching a copy of the Evening Times and the famous Bert Hardy photograph.

Les was in the kitchen preparing the dinner when she thrust the open page of the paper towards him and sort of half-shouted: “Is this you!?”

Les, in astonishment, replied: “I think so.” Then the phone started ringing, constantly. Les loved it. He knew he was going to be famous.

This was the very first time that any of us knew anything of his connection to this photograph and its importance and fondness to a lot of people. But the strange thing was, the photo was somehow familiar as we all recognised it.

Les and the whole Mason family are extremely proud of the fact that Les is captured forever in one of Glasgow’s most iconic photographs. This photograph not only sums up the mood and feeling of the Gorbals community at the time but it sums up Les. Look at it, he’s carrying a message bag.

Time and life went on. Les was a proud father and an extremely proud grandfather to Molly, Alice, and Lily, Linda’s children, and to Ruby, Scott’s daughter.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 18th Jul 2011, 12:58am
Post #70

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 17th Jul 2011, 05:23pm) *
... Anywan fur a wee hudgy in the bried van!?

Rabbie, there's anotehr great Bert Hardy photo of children in wartime London getting a hudgy on the back of a carriage. The BBC has a copy online here.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 18th Jul 2011, 02:01am
Post #71

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
I think this man sounds as Happy and go lucky as his picture depicted him how lovely for his family that he has become a Glasgow icon for the generations he left behind & for the ones to come he sure sounds like the perfect gentleman especialy pleased to here he sorted the shopping out before the pub on Fair Friday Iam afraid our family never had that sort of Blessing so in my opinion a provider and gentleman to his end. regards to all & condolances to his family from Lindamac

QUOTE (GG @ 18th Jul 2011, 10:34am) *
The following is 'an appreciation' of Les mason's life written by his daughter, Julie:

GG.

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 20th Jul 2011, 01:07pm
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi GG ,thanks for publishing the item by Les Masons daughter I found it interesting
Through that photo he will always be remembered
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 21st Jul 2011, 11:27am
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
A great tribute to a very fine man like so many Glasgow men worked hard to give his wee family a better start in life than he got himself. A real gentleman with the braw spirit and generosity that put the Glasgow working-class man up there with the best in the world.

+Quote Post
Glasgow Girl
post 23rd Jul 2011, 06:09am
Post #74

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,419
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 21st Jul 2011, 11:20am) *
A great tribute to a very fine man like so many Glasgow men worked hard to give his wee family a better start in life than he got himself. A real gentleman with the braw spirit and generosity that put the Glasgow working-class man up there with the best in the world.

Absolutely, and there were many like him. I worry that they don't make them like that anymore, then I look at my son and think....yeah.....we're fine! smile.gif

--------------------
Triumph is temporary, glory is eternal.

+Quote Post
irene seddon
post 11th Aug 2011, 12:47pm
Post #75

Settling In
Member No.: 11,516
I've just found this website as I was looking to find who the two boys were in this photograph. My son put it on as my screensaver as I thought it reminded me of Cumberland Street where my maternal side of the family came from. I spent every school holiday at 406 Cumberland Street, directly opposite St, Francis Church. This was just after the war. The first person I visited on arrival was Mr. Benson at his newspaper and sweetie shop, then onto Tommy Malarkies ice cream shop. I remember with awe, the beautiful May Processions seeing them outside my Nana's window. Loved all the shops which we went to on Cumberland Street and having to remember my Nanas Coop number. I was so sad to learn that these two boys in this iconic piture have died. Their families have my sympathy. I feel as if time has stood still when I look at this photo.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.