Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old Street in Townhead, What was the name?
Rating 5 V
Tennscot
post 19th Sep 2010, 09:13pm
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
QUOTE (*Pat Doyle* @ 23rd Aug 2010, 11:03am) *
Collins St.which housed the baths and the wash-house.But i must say you`r going back some years
Cheers pat

Morrin Square... our kitchen window looked into t he alley and the wall of the baths.Some view eh!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*hugh burke*
post 25th Sep 2010, 01:28am
Post #62

QUOTE (Elizabeth H @ 22nd Aug 2010, 12:57pm) *
I lived between two houses in townhead, my granny's at 119 Kennedy Street, and my mum/dad/sister's house in 23 Martyr Street, I sometimes go back into town just to wander around the old haunts. My mother moved to Grafton Place when the houses were being demolished.

I lived at 23 Murkeartyr Street from 1950-1957, when we came to Canada... My parents were Kathleen and Joseph Burke.

+Quote Post
patsy113
post 5th Oct 2010, 09:26pm
Post #63

Visitor
Member No.: 6,053
QUOTE (Margaret Harley @ 20th Aug 2010, 04:47pm) *
I lived in Montrose St. Went to st Mungos Primary. I see they have changed the name of Montrose St to Allan Glen Drive or something like that. Mr Cherry's shop was on Cathederal St. beside the coblers and the licenced grocer we spent our thrupence pocket money on penny lollies and sweets in Mr Cherrys and in Taylor St. you could get a penny's worth of crisps, she would open the bag and make a cone out of paper and fill it with crisps for a penny.For sixpence you could get a bowl of peas in the café and put lashings of vinegar on them - yummy. Black St swings had a big slide. I loved Townhead it was full of nice people.

Margaret my name is Pat Doyle please contact me i`m from 113 montrose st.my email is patjohndoyle@yahoo.co.uk

+Quote Post
Elizabeth H
post 6th Oct 2010, 04:23am
Post #64

Settling In
Member No.: 5,577
QUOTE (hugh burke @ 25th Sep 2010, 03:30am) *
I lived at 23 Murkeartyr Street from 1950-1957, when we came to Canada... My parents were Kathleen and Joseph Burke.

Hello Hugh, I do remember the name of your parents, my mother was friendly with them as was Ella and John Daly who lived above my mother, I remember them all meeting up when they came home on holiday, I must ask my mother about it, they were Anna and Jimmy Mooney. There were quite a lot of families went to Canada around that time.

+Quote Post
Elizabeth H
post 6th Oct 2010, 08:12pm
Post #65

Settling In
Member No.: 5,577
Hello Hugh, have spoken to my mother and she said she was just thinking about your mother last night they were great friends, it would seem your family lived directly opposite us in the close and yes they met up when your mother came home to visit, your aunt and cousins lived up the stair in the same close (Kyle). My mum said that you and I were about the same age (I am 61 years now) she mentioned your brother Joe, and that we played together before you emigrated, and I was always in your house. Another family who emigrated to Canada at that time was Phyllis and Davy Avery they had a wee boy Paul her own name was Boyle, they lived two closes down opposite Jack's dairy.

My mum was so emotional when I told her about your post.

+Quote Post
*andy wilson*
post 22nd Oct 2010, 01:08am
Post #66

QUOTE (jandyjaws @ 19th Mar 2010, 12:13pm) *
hi peachey, some geat memories there. i went to city public wi your brother alex..also remember henry.infact if you look at photos of city public on friends reunited on my profile i put a class photo in and alex is there. was in your house many times but cant remember you,although you were 9 years younger than alex and i.can still see him playing guitar at the school chritsmas dance with his band.i lived in couper st. which was next to dobbies loan and off kennedy st. my auntie mary owned the mcmillans dairy at the corner of kennedy st. and couper st.. those were the days stuart mcmillan

I seem to remember in my time that shop being called "Dougies" with a big dug-alsatian? hinging aboot-I stayed in 36 Couper st till we became upwardly mobile and emigrated to a wally close in 214 Parly rd!

+Quote Post
*Jack glebe st*
post 2nd Dec 2010, 04:13pm
Post #67

Hi , love this thread. here's my tuppence worth !. I stayed at 181 Glebe st up near the Nolly and next to kennedy St school. the picture of baird street was great I was just round the corner from that and and sawmills. Black st swings were great and I used to spend hours there with my pals. My Granny lived in St Mungo's st opposite the door to the St Mungo's primary at no 11. She had a weird back court as it was the roof of a builders mercahnt who had a flat topped building in the back sof the houses accessed thru a pend. My mates stayed in Parson st and Glebe st next to the Chapel so I spent a lot of time there as well. I remember the City cafe across from the Royal and the hot rools they madde, great after a session at the swimming in Collins st. Jacks mountain was the other side of Pinkston road on whic most of Sighthill was built. The bad smell in the air there to thi sday is the remnants of the stinky ocean which was a chemical waste fo rthe old tennants workds on the banks of the canal. Halcyon days !

+Quote Post
*peachey*
post 20th Dec 2010, 02:04am
Post #68

QUOTE (weelew @ 22nd Aug 2010, 10:00pm) *
I notice on the post by Elizabeth h the name of Valerios. I was born in the Townhead and stayed in Stirling road ,on the corner of Glebe street ,No 57 .The name Valerios rang a bell .I am sure that the doctors we used was called Valerio and the other one in the practice was i think Goodman .They were up around Parley road .Does anyone remember these doctors .

dr goodman was my families doctor great guy i remember the waiting room was big with long benches like a church maybe they were there was a few shuting down then,,and you didnt make an appointment you just got called to the room..what a system,,

+Quote Post
*peachey*
post 20th Dec 2010, 02:14am
Post #69

QUOTE (jandyjaws @ 19th Mar 2010, 10:55am) *
hi peachey, some geat memories there. i went to city public wi your brother alex..also remember henry.infact if you look at photos of city public on friends reunited on my profile i put a class photo in and alex is there. was in your house many times but cant remember you,although you were 9 years younger than alex and i.can still see him playing guitar at the school chritsmas dance with his band.i lived in couper st. which was next to dobbies loan and off kennedy st. my auntie mary owned the mcmillans dairy at the corner of kennedy st. and couper st.. those were the days stuart mcmillan

Hi jandyjaws great to hear you remember alex and henry but no me???lol
ah was to busy runnin around the midgie bins causin trouble..
however can you email me regarding the foto sportsat@hotmail.com
also henry and alex are both fine hes still playin 12 string and alex is some times playin the trumpet
take care any pix most welcomed..

+Quote Post
*peachey*
post 20th Dec 2010, 02:17am
Post #70

QUOTE (Tennscot @ 19th Sep 2010, 08:51pm) *
Morrin Square... our kitchen window looked into t he alley and the wall of the baths.Some view eh!!

Played there alot ,
some very big families stayed there
also played across the road were my sister was friendly with the girl whos dad ran the waterworks
at the top of high street what a maze that was great..

+Quote Post
albageorgia
post 31st Dec 2010, 10:58am
Post #71

Visitor
Member No.: 8,707
does anybody remember the cup n saucer in the the cuddys

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 31st Dec 2010, 12:44pm
Post #72

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
QUOTE (albageorgia @ 31st Dec 2010, 06:36am) *
does anybody remember the cup n saucer in the the cuddys

Hi there albageorgia, I remember the "cup and saucer" very well, l could see it from my kitchen windae everyday. although l lived on Keppochhill Road at the top of Pinkston Road.
It was a ventilation shaft for the tunnel leading from Buchanan St. Station.The tunnel;s other end was at Pinkston Road, at the "Stinky Ocean". My brother and our pals used to walk on the railway line all the way through the tunnel almost to the station.There were little arches cut into the tunnel wall every few yards that you could duck into when a train came through. About halfway through you would come to the ventilation shaft , l'm not sure how deep it was from top to bottom, but it looked like a couple of hundred feet. Of course this was back in the early 60s, when l was about 10 or 12, Do you remember the steam powered cranes that belonged to Fleming's on the same hill? on the way down to the slaughterhouse?.
Foxy

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 31st Dec 2010, 01:56pm
Post #73

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Aye, could see the cup an saucer from my back windea on the parade.

Like Foxy says it was up the tap of the cuddies. It was a ventshaft aboot 1/2 thro the Buchanan St line. We used to climb up the railway sleepers that surrounded it and drap stanes doon it thinking it was a "lucky well."

After awe that hard work and playing on the salty wastes ye wid be a manky midden so then doddled over the canel fur a hoat shower in Pinky power station cooling tower. Usually got chased oot the gaff wi a pair of slabbering scrapyaird mentality alsations.

When the Buch St line was closed ma pals and maself used to walk baith ways through the tunnel, ye couldnea see the other end of tunnel as there was wee bend in it. Aboot haulf wi through ye could look up the vent shaft and see daylight, no sure how high it was maybe 80 tae a hunner fit. Could work it oot if could get aff me erse an look at a map.

Wit wus the wee white nissan huts up the tap? Seem to remember ma Da mentioning it was a pig farm or slaughter hoose / knackers yaird.

Fun times!

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
*hugh burke*
post 6th Apr 2011, 03:54am
Post #74

QUOTE (Elizabeth H @ 6th Oct 2010, 08:29pm) *
Hello Hugh, have spoken to my mother and she said she was just thinking about your mother last night they were great friends, it would seem your family lived directly opposite us in the close and yes they met up when your mother came home to visit, your aunt and cousins lived up the stair in the same close (Kyle). My mum said that you and I were about the same age (I am 61 years now) she mentioned your brother Joe, and that we played together before you emigrated, and I was always in your house. Another family who emigrated to Canada at that time was Phyllis and Davy Avery they had a wee boy Paul her own name was Boyle, they lived two closes down opposite Jack's dairy.

My mum was so emotional when I told her about your post.

I remember your family, and Boyles, and the Dalys (their son was Gerald Daly, and was our friend) - my Mum's friends. My aunt and cousings were the Kyles - my Uncle was Hugh Kyle, and my cousins were Kathleen, May, and Lauretta. I have lost touch with them, but would love to get in touch. I remember playing in the close...and I am exactly your age. My Mum and Dad are passed away now, but I still think of myself as Glaswegian. I am the Headmaster of a school here in Canada, just outside of Vancouver. I have three kids, and they are all so proud of being Scots (there are none so Scots as the Scots abroad!). Lovely to hear from you, and my best to your Mum...my Mum would have loved to hear from her, as she missed "home" so much.
My email is hugh.burke@meadowridge.bc.ca I would love to hear from you and your Mum.

+Quote Post
Kirwan1972
post 22nd Dec 2011, 01:00am
Post #75

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,266
QUOTE (patsy 113 montrose st @ 16th Jul 2009, 09:28pm) *
Yes Tennscot I remember Morrin Sq. It was near the townhead baths, do you remember the boiler house at the back of the baths my brother George was engaged to a girl who lived there. In one of
the posts earlier I noticed a street name Paul st I can`t remember this street correct me if I`m wrong I will get in touch with relations an Aunt in Taylor st a cousin Pat Kirwan and family in Gardiner st. The Cross Keys Pub was on Rotten Rd. before you turned into GardenSt.
I`ll get back to you soon I just love talking about Townhead keep coming with more info God Bless To All of you no matter where you are I`m in Donegal Ireland Pat Doyle

Pat.....I'm Pat Kirwan's son, David. Our Tom put me on to this site...he stumbled across it.
How yeez all doin?

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.