Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Second Betrayal Of William Wallace, Wallace's Well on brink of destruction
bilbo.s
post 24th Aug 2011, 12:05pm
Post #76

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I should be interested to know when Scottish history ceased to be taught in Scottish schools. I attended the High School of Glasgow 1951-59 and, although latterly I dropped history in favour of geography, my memory is that I was taught more Scottish history than English.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 24th Aug 2011, 12:18pm
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
"Thanks to Mel Gibson's Braveheart, the Wallace Monument has been refurbished."

Unfortunately, at the foot of the path up to the monument they also erected an extremely tacky stone plinth bearing a remarkable likeness of Mel Gibson done up in his Bravheart character. dry.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
Elma
post 24th Aug 2011, 05:13pm
Post #78

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I was wondering the same, Bilbo, when I attended Hillhead High from '48 to '53 we were taught all Scottish history, a little bit of English, Ethelred, William the Conqueror etc. and then when James VI took over England. Robert the Bruce was always my hero with Wallace a distant second but I still think that the Wallace monument should be restored. As for the Mel Gibson 'Braveheart' I think he should be the one hanged, drawn and quartered for that awful rendition of a Scottish hero.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 24th Aug 2011, 06:07pm
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
The best that can be said for Mel Gibson is that he made many aware of Scotland´s existence. Hopefully some went on from there.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 24th Aug 2011, 06:08pm
Post #80

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Say, buddy, is that Scatlan' Englan'? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Heather
post 24th Aug 2011, 09:38pm
Post #81

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I'm another one who was at School in the 1950s and was taught Scottish History.

I must ask my g'daughter who goes to St. Ambrose High School in Coatbridge if they get taught Scottish History there.

Who decided to drop it and why is Alec Salmond not shouting about it???

It seems very odd not to teach Scottish History in Scottish Schools.

Aye Elma, like me you must have been appalled at the liberty Mel Gibson took with the story of Wallace.
Typical Hollywood.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
graeme01
post 25th Aug 2011, 11:12am
Post #82

Settling In
Member No.: 11,547
My recollection of history lessons at school was that we were taught nothing about Scottish history at all. It was almost exclusively English, 1066 and all that. Certainly nothing was taught about great Scottish patriots like Wallace or Bruce.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 25th Aug 2011, 11:37am
Post #83

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (graeme01 @ 25th Aug 2011, 01:58pm) *
My recollection of history lessons at school was that we were taught nothing about Scottish history at all. It was almost exclusively English, 1066 and all that. Certainly nothing was taught about great Scottish patriots like Wallace or Bruce.

May we ask your age group and where you attended school ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 25th Aug 2011, 05:37pm
Post #84

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
I attended school from 62 till 72, and got taught very little Scottish history, which infuriated my dad when he was reading my secondary school history book, having told him we were to study about the reign of England's king Henry VIII, he told me to ask the teacher, who was on the Scottish throne when Henry was crowned. So the next day while Mr McDougall was waxing lyrical about King Henry i put my hand and asked him the question, he stopped in his track's, glared at me as though i had just kicked his dog and mumbled that it was not what the lesson was about, that it was for another lesson. Funnily enough that lesson never came. And just in case there is an elderly ex history teacher by the name of McDougall reading this (and anyone else who is interested) the answer was James IV 1488-1513.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 25th Aug 2011, 06:52pm
Post #85

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
QUOTE (graeme01 @ 25th Aug 2011, 11:58am) *

I'm guessing (because for some reason you appear not to want us to know when you were born) you were 60s/70s schooled, graeme?

Scottish History WAS on the curriculum then - but not EVERY school had Wullie. I know this for sure, as I recall pals being enthralled by my tails of this 'derring do' character.

One of the main reasons for this, was the one & only reference book for much of the mid 20th Century) - was in the form of (very poor) poetry - which in itself was inconsistent to say the least! Most would agree, much of the better literature surrounding the period, has been produced, in the latter half of the century - which I recommend ALL of Scottish descent to familiarise themselves with!

For one thing, he was many things - but he certainly was NOT a sweet romantic!

The main thing, was he was a RIGHT pain in Longshanks' rectum - until his dying breath!

Scots Wha Hay

PS Don't knock Mel too much folks - he done a lot to regenerate the interest

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th Aug 2011, 08:08pm
Post #86

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Your right Wee Davy he did make Wallace well known world wide.

I remember my American neice telling me that when Braveheart was shown in New Jersey, all the teenagers were on their feet cheering on the Scots when they were fighting the English. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Harvey
post 26th Aug 2011, 02:32am
Post #87

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,377
Out of 19 locations where Braveheart was filmed, 13 were in Ireland. For example, the "battle of Stirling Bridge" was filmed on the Curragh Plains in Co Kildare. Even more bizarre, Edinburgh castle scenes were filmed at Dunsoghiy (sic) castle in Dublin. (Info from wikpeadia.)

Why in the name of the wee man were they filming Scottish scenes in Ireland?

Despite this I enjoyed the film. It gave Scotland and its history a temporary boost.

In Oz as I suspect in other Ccommonwealth countries and certainly in the USA, Ireland has a much higher profile than Scotland - and Ireland (Eire)
isn't even in the C'wealth. I'm half Irish btw.

Seen from 12,000 miles away, I'm afraid London is smothering Scotland.

In the late 40's I had a music teacher who made the class sing "There'll
always be an England" (does England mean as much to you as England means to me?) and we were all saying under our breath - naw it disnae.
Ye could'nae make it up. Aye, the more things change the more they stay the same.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 26th Aug 2011, 08:39am
Post #88

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
I think we don't sell ourselves well enough. The Irish seem much better at promoting themselves somehow. No offense, I've got loads of Irish family.

I've been on holiday at some of Scotland's prime locations for tourism and found our hospitality sadly lacking in some hotels. It can sound funny and quaint an hotelier saying, ' And, at what time is it that you'll be requiring hot water?' laugh.gif Or. ' Don't open that window will you? You see it causes a draught in the hall.' laugh.gif Not good enough though. sad.gif I think it's something in our nature.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 26th Aug 2011, 09:41am
Post #89

Mega City Key Holder
You are right, Melody. With a few exceptions, tourist hotels in Scotland do little to enhance the reputation of Scottish hospitality. I always was lucky with B&Bs as opposed to hotels, but I am now shocked at the extortionate prices they charge - it's the old joke " I merely want to use your bed, not purchase it."

My last memories of the Scottish tourist industry are that is is almost entirely manned by Europeans and Colonials- I used to ask Australians who was minding the store back home. This situation is caused partly by poor wages but also by the fact that British people do not like positions deemed servile, while other nations regard serving others as an honour. Members of my own family visiting us in Spain have made remarked upon the number of males serving in cafes and rstaurants, as if it is somehow demeaning. I have nothing against young people from other lands visiting Scotland and taking summer (?) jobs but lt should not be expected of them entirely to uphold standards.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 26th Aug 2011, 09:49am
Post #90

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Harvey @ 26th Aug 2011, 04:18am) *
Why in the name of the wee man were they filming Scottish scenes in Ireland?

Dead simple, the Irish gave the company making the film bigger tax breaks. It was all down to economics and nothing to do with locations.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.