Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Round Toll Milk Depot, delivering the milk
matt.63
post 9th Feb 2007, 04:39pm
Post #1

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,502
when I was 13 we moved from allander st in Possil to Avonspark .St in Springburn/Balornock still attended st cuthberts in Possil .I got a job delivering the milk.the milk depot was down at the round toll near the Astoria picture house. had to wlk all the way from avonspark st away down the Keppochhill rd and on to the depot where we helped the driver deliver the milk. our round was parts of possil and ruchill ending over in the balmore road what hard work that was carrying the metal milk carriers up the stairs but really enjoyed it did it six days a week for fifteen bob plus tips we used to collect the money on a saturday can still remember the woman saying can ye come back next week son most people would give us a tip as well i felt as though i was rich but earned every penny, went straight to school after the deliverys don't know if anybody remembers the milkman and his helpers oor the depot down bye the astoria. anybody out there.

--------------------
A man's a man for a that
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 21st Mar 2007, 10:50pm
Post #2

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
My Fathers friend,Jimmy Dubber, used to drive an electric milk float out of that depot for Scottish Farmers. He used to do Springburn area.
Alex

+Quote Post
flam
post 13th Apr 2007, 02:08pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All.. Our local milkman in Possilpark was Willie Strachan who along with his brother [Horse Delivery] Cheers Flim

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.