Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Very First Job, history
mlconnelly
post 3rd Jan 2013, 06:41pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
My first job, before I left school, was in a chippie on Parliamentary Rd, looking across to the bus station. Went on to work for S & J Harris on Stockwell St, now Reardons snooker hall, as a sewing machinist. Happy days. Mary laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marcam7
post 6th Jan 2013, 12:29am
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 7,824
Same place only 1955, thirty years later i got the job of turning it in to Reardons Snooker club

+Quote Post
Paulie
post 7th Jan 2013, 03:12am
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,151
1952.First job, Office girl in Wyllie and Loughhead on Buchanan Street.

Working as an office girl in this posh department store was an eye-opener for a lassie from the South Side tenements. My first job at 15 years of age was to file the invoices of the posh customers with accounts at Wyllie and Loughhead's

I didn't know people paid so much money for furniture! or that anyone actually had their curtains 'custom made'.
Nor did I realize that there were so many big estates owners with names beginning with Sir, and Lady, or Lord. It was a look into another world, and I was paid the princely sum of 37/6d per week
to file their exotic accounts.
My whole pay packet, unopened, was proudly handed over to my Ma each week, out of which I was given my pocket money and subway fare. Of course back then a shilling bought a nice lunch at one of the buffet restaurants on Renfew street. Most of my 'wardrobe came from C. & A on Sauchiehall street.
I wonder if Wyllie and Loughhead is still in existence ?

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 7th Jan 2013, 05:17am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 3rd Jan 2013, 07:58pm) *
My first job, before I left school, was in a chippie on Parliamentary Rd, looking across to the bus station. Went on to work for S & J Harris on Stockwell St, now Reardons snooker hall, as a sewing machinist. Happy days. Mary laugh.gif

Did you know a Ruby Duke in your time at Harris?

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 7th Jan 2013, 09:36am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Don't recognise the name, Dave, but she may have been before my time or in the factory on Ingram St, owned by other brothers. We made uniforms for the emergency services (police, fire and ambulance) while they made shirts in Ingram St. Mary

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 7th Jan 2013, 09:40am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 7th Jan 2013, 10:53am) *
Don't recognise the name, Dave, but she may have been before my time or in the factory on Ingram St, owned by other brothers. We made uniforms for the emergency services (police, fire and ambulance) while they made shirts in Ingram St. Mary

Thanks Mary I think she was in Ingram st about the mid 60's

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 7th Jan 2013, 02:54pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
QUOTE (Paulie @ 7th Jan 2013, 03:29am) *
1952.First job, Office girl in Wyllie and Loughhead on Buchanan Street.

Nor did I realize that there were so many big estates owners with names beginning with Sir, and Lady, or Lord. It was a look into another world, and I was paid the princely sum of 37/6d per week

nearly 40 bob a week, in 1952! - I'll bet your ma was smiling when she opened your pay packet!

My wage, for a year, was 30/- a week in 1970 as an apprentice electrician in the RAF - and 10/- ai that wiz put intae a POSB account fer ye! (post office savings book) automatically. So ye were actually left wi a POUND lol

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 7th Jan 2013, 08:01pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Thats well before my time Dave. I started work in Stockwell St in February 1977. Mary tongue.gif

+Quote Post
kenb
post 8th Jan 2013, 01:17am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
my firsgt proper job was trimming shop clerk in BRELTD British Rail Engineering or "the cally "engine works" or BRELtd GLASGOW WORKS IN 1977 My first 2 weeks wages (paid monthly"staff"worked 1 month got paid 2 weeks worked 2nd month got paid 2 weeks so i had 1 months pay "lying on") 1st 2 weeks pay 11.50p so i had 11.50 lying on 2nd 2 weeks i had over time in 2 x sat am shifts. was paid 15.75 so 23.00 lying on till i went to work for British Rail Div Civ Eng NW Div Blythswood House on the "square mile"

"Thats another story" wub.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 8th Jan 2013, 11:12pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (wee davy @ 7th Jan 2013, 03:11pm) *
... My wage, for a year, was 30/- a week in 1970 as an apprentice electrician in the RAF ...

I left the following year (on 22 quid a week) and went straight onto 90 notes a week as a freelance contractor. tongue.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
amaw
post 9th Jan 2013, 09:38pm
Post #26

Settling In
Member No.: 7,510
My very first job was drying cutlery in the Bute Restaurant in Rothesay. I was earning 30 shillings per week plus tips from the kitchen saff (for doing their messages), I was 13 years old and the money I earned during that summer bought me my school uniform for the next year.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.