Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Very First Job, history
big tommy
post 17th Oct 2005, 12:49pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
mad.gif I was 14 years old and on the verge of leaving school . Just one more day to go . I had seen the advertisement on the Thursday in the old Glasgow Evening News.

This was the night before the Friday when I was to leave school. On the Friday morning I asked my teacher, Mr Murray, to give me time off to attend an interview, to which he readily agreed.

At the interview I was told I had the job and to report for work on Monday, so when I went back to tell Mr Murray he told me to simply leave there and then. So, I left school on the Friday and started work on the Monday.

I started work in a music shop in Sauchiehall Street called Ewing & McIntosh Ltd, and I was to start an apprenticeship as a radio mechanic so I was overjoyed.

My wages were 17/6 (or 87 and a half new pence) a week. I gave my mother 75p or 15 shillings a week for my keep and she gave me 2 and 6 (12.5p) back for pocket money.

The job was fine until the end of the second week when the manager told me it was time for me to wash the shop windows. THE WINDOWS LOOKING IN TO SAUCHIEHALL STREET !!!! where any of my friends might see me.

God, what a come down. I was mortified! I had told everyone I was training to be a radio mechanic and here I was washing windows.

It was here my rebel attitude kicked in. "Not on your life," I told the manager, "I am here to be a radio mechanic, not a window washer. The answer is NO." The result was inevitable of course. The manager gave me the ulimatum: "Either wash the windows or you are out the door."

Needless to say I chose the latter and that very night I was handed my books and told to go. Thus ended my aspirations to become a radio mechanic. The job had lasted a mere 12 working days, including Saturdays.

But jobs were so easy to come by I was back in employment within days as a labourer in an engineering factory.

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Robert Pool*
post 22nd Jul 2010, 07:28pm
Post #2

+Quote Post
lesley brown
post 24th Jun 2011, 10:01am
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 10,927
My very first job was in a wee cafe at the barras. I was still at school and worked on Sat and Sun from 10am - 7pm both days waitressing. That was round about 1975. Just wanted extra cash as my parents didn't have much. My wages were 2 pound a day but by christ I worked for it. Used to make more in tips. This wee cafe is still there and everytime I pass it I look in. It's still got wee lassies working in it. Slave labour. Nothing has changed. Although I think its good for kids to gain a bit of independence at an early age and learn the value of money some employers just rip it.

--------------------
Marriage is a wonderful invention but then again so is a bicycle repair kit.

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 24th Jun 2011, 04:34pm
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Like Tommy, i left school on the friday and started work on the monday. This was at the easter break and not at school end. I started work at john menzies on west nile st in the book dept. that was in april and stayed there till february and joined john bennies as an apprentice lift engineer. Was paid the princely sum of one pound eleven shillings. My mum got the pound and i got the eleven shillings.Not much left when you took out your bus fair. Thank god for some of the clippies who must have known you were skipping your fare with your head turned round towards the window every time she called out fares please. Thanks to you all......lol

+Quote Post
beth
post 24th Jun 2011, 04:44pm
Post #5

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
My first job was in the C&A offices in Trongate. I worked for a lady called Miss Kay adn we had to ask permission to go to the toilet. the desks were set out like at school and we had all these plus adders adding up the slips from cashiers. That was in the days before calculators. They had a good canteen though and we used to listen to Bob dylan music. I did not work there long, went back to school and did my O'levels

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 24th Jun 2011, 10:41pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
Good Topic Tommy

Wilsons fishmonger on Allison St. Followed by Barries soft drinks on Maxwell Rd.

My Driver on the Barries ginger run was a Tommy. Moany auld so and so. we fell oot.

+Quote Post
angel
post 25th Jun 2011, 12:24am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

I think I have mentioned this before on another thread , anyway
my first paying job , was during my last two years of High school.
I worked in a florist / green grocers store ,delivering flower arragements,
keeping everything clean and tidy and also I was the gopher, this was of course slave labour but actually I did enjoy it, some days I made good tips . 'I guess some people liked me. biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 25th Jun 2011, 07:45am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
Fairfields Govan Apprentice joiner. Have no happy memories of it. Worked with many bigots who took every opportunity to let me know how intellectually and morally inferior were "youse Caferlicks"

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 25th Jun 2011, 11:05am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Frasers sawmill in Townhead, promised an apprentiship that never materialised. First question i was asked after starting was "are you a bead rattler" it seemed to be all down hill from there.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 25th Jun 2011, 11:49am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
SCWS Head Office Morrison Street.
All those big office girls fightin' tae look after this wee blond laddie straight out of school. biggrin.gif
Gave it up after the first year so I could dirty my hands in a boiler-maker's apprenticeship; the first of many great fail decisions ... but you had to start somewhere. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 26th Jun 2011, 05:13am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 25th Jun 2011, 08:58pm) *
Frasers sawmill in Townhead, promised an apprentiship that never materialised. First question i was asked after starting was "are you a bead rattler" it seemed to be all down hill from there.

Bet it was never mentioned in S.A.!

+Quote Post
beth
post 27th Jun 2011, 07:15am
Post #12

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
Yes, Dunvegan, have said in various other places, we often only find out these things at funerals and weddings over here

+Quote Post
**myagnes**
post 2nd Jan 2012, 03:14am
Post #13

QUOTE (andypisces @ 24th Jun 2011, 03:50pm) *
Like Tommy, i left school on the friday and started work on the monday. This was at the easter break and not at school end. I started work at john menzies on west nile st in the book dept. that was in april and stayed there till february and joined john bennies as an apprentice lift engineer. Was paid the princely sum of one pound eleven shillings. My mum got the pound and i got the eleven shillings.Not much left when you took out your bus fair. Thank god for some of the clippies who must have known you were skipping your fare with your head turned round towards the window every time she called out fares please. Thanks to you all......lol

I can remember back in 1944, my and I left Possil Sen. Sec. School, we were walking down West Nile Street my pal went into John Menzies (MINGIS) he got started, his name was Peter Tweedie, I got started in RS McColl on North Woodside Road as a vanboy

+Quote Post
**myagnes**
post 2nd Jan 2012, 03:33am
Post #14

My first job was with RS McCOLL North Woodside Rd. as a vanboy, we used to two shillings dinner money if we went long distance deliveries, my other job was an apprenticed tilemaker, got fed up and joined the Royal Navy (Stoker Mechanic) 1948-1955, got demobbed started in Rolls-Royce, Hillington C-Block, great place to work

+Quote Post
lubbock
post 3rd Jan 2013, 04:28pm
Post #15

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 14,540
Matthew Armstrong Ltd warehouse at the trongate 1970,aye the mini -bingo across the road had more of the stock than they did!!!

--------------------
Sunny Govan.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.