Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Crown Wallpapers, Argyle Street
wee mags
post 3rd Jun 2005, 01:31am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I worked here for a while, it was fun at the time I was there the populer thing was this stuff that looked like tiles it came in a roll and you had to use this strong glue, also in demand was this stuff that stuck tae the windaes, it looked like stained glass, people put it on the bathroom windaes.

We sold tons of it, I used to love to tell the people what color of paint went with it, after that I got a job in the Playtex factory off the Carscube Rd it was a well paying job can you imagine Two Pounds Ten for a weeks work then if you kept your time you got a bonus and if you done piece work mere money only thing was ma mammy used to make me give her ma paycheck then she gave me pocket money.

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
a menzies
post 19th Dec 2005, 08:46pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 112
hey there wee mags.when i was a boy i worked for the darwin wallpaper and decorating co.it was on the corner of argyle st and carrick st.we were very busy re-pairing ammunition boxes.it was a great business during the war.1943.and great fun.i was 16. i walked from scotia st to argyle st and dont think i was ever late.archie.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 23rd Oct 2010, 01:56pm
Post #3

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
I always remember helpiing my auntie, trim the sides of the rolls of wallpaper as they werent like the wallpapers nowadays, the shop did have a trimming machine but never did it right so it was better to sit with a good pair of scissors and do it on your own..

+Quote Post
*Andy Wilson*
post 31st Oct 2010, 04:09pm
Post #4

QUOTE (dizzybint @ 23rd Oct 2010, 01:42pm) *
I always remember helpiing my auntie, trim the sides of the rolls of wallpaper as they werent like the wallpapers nowadays, the shop did have a trimming machine but never did it right so it was better to sit with a good pair of scissors and do it on your own..

My Dad was the manager in Smiths paint and Wallpaper and I used to get my pocket money boosted by trimming all the rolls of wallpaper in the shop on a saturday for them using a hand operated trimming machine-wouldn't be allowed now as I was only 8!-this was in the late 50's and early 60's but the paper started to arrive trimmed from the mills in the mid 60's and my wee job was finished!

The tile stuff on a roll which was glued onto the wall was a nightmare product called "Congerwall"-looked ok when first up but God help ye if you wanted to remove it!-impossible!-the yanks should have glued the Space Shuttle tile on with this stuff-nothing would budge it!-I remember it was up in my first flat and the only way to remove it was to chisel the plaster off and re-plaster the walls.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.