Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 50's
betty2
post 2nd Jun 2005, 11:39am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
These were happy times for me , I worked in a clothing factory "Colwer " on alexandra parade. As well as making childrens clothes I made many friends there. It was owned by three jewish brothers and they treated their workers well. There was always music playing over the tanoid and this created a happy atmosphere. First break in the mornin we spent doing one anothers hair for the big night ahead at our various dance halls, at lunch time after we had heated our pies on the hoffman press, we then pressed our skirts , because back then a steam iron was a commodity not avalable at home. afternoon break the rollers came out the hair, and it was combed and styled .5pm came and i left the factory floor had earned a days pay , had a hairdo and my neatly pressed skirt over my arm went home from work happy and contented and prepared for the night's dancing ahead. This was the way of life in the 50's for factory girls and happy times they were

betty2

--------------------
still here in glesca
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taurus
post 6th Nov 2014, 02:35am
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
I don`t suppose Betty is still around to read this post,but her workplace story in the 50`s sounds like a holiday camp to what I endured in my work in the 50`s.I`ve just been trawling through old posts.Interesting...

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 6th Nov 2014, 03:24am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
To me it was a *Holiday Camp*...as a youngster of 16,I also worked in a clothing factory,I was a cloth cutter,there were 3 of us males in the cutting room,and about 300 female sewing machinists!!!...need I say more!!!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.