Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Lamplighters
buntyq
post 23rd Nov 2006, 07:38pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Thanksgiving dinner is over and I'm enjoying a wee gander through the GG. My memories are of my mother and I coming through Kelvingrove Park at dusk and the lamps were being lit one by one over the bridge. As a wee girl it seemed like magic as they reflected on the water. Although now electrified I hope they kept those beautiful lamps.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest John **
post 15th Aug 2008, 10:51pm
Post #32

I've just discovered this site and loved the stories in it. I believe my late grandfather was a lamp lighter but unfortunately that's all I know. I have no relatives left to ask and if anyone knows where I can research this information I would be gratefull.
Keep up the good work and the stories, don't let Old Glasgow die

+Quote Post
**JIMBOB**
post 27th Feb 2010, 06:27pm
Post #33

My dad was a leerie in the 60s. He wore a uniform like postmen used to wear including a skipped cap. His [lighter] was a carbide torch which had a brass fitment on top of a wooden shaft. Along with this he carried a khaki shoulder bag containing mantles and lightbulbs.

+Quote Post
*Jimmy W.*
post 15th Nov 2011, 08:12pm
Post #34

The substance in the brass lamplighter stick was Calcium carbide, which was not sold to youngsters! At the end of his round, the Leerie would open the container, and tip the remnants on a stank, gulley or grating. Keen observers would quickly follow, and scrape some of the substance into a dry tin. Next day, a little could be dropped into an adversary's ink-well, whereupon, it would froth and foam over the top of the desk! The gas, which burned safely with a little flame ( as in miner's lamps) was acetylene.

I, too, am from Harriet street, and was amazed to find references to it, having been bulldozed so long ago! I was born in 69, my father was born in 85. Harriet Street, no more!

+Quote Post
**Jenny**
post 10th Jun 2012, 08:07pm
Post #35

QUOTE (Guest John * @ 16th Aug 2008, 12:06am) *
I've just discovered this site and loved the stories in it. I believe my late grandfather was a lamp lighter but unfortunately that's all I know. I have no relatives left to ask and if anyone knows where I can research this information I would be gratefull.
Keep up the good work and the stories, don't let Old Glasgow die

I know this is a bit of an old thread - but I too am looking for information on my partner's great grandfather - he was a lamplighter in Glasgow in the 1920's but I believe he was only in his early 20's then so may have carried on much longer, unfortunately his name was John Cameron - not exactly an unusual name!

If by any chance that does ring a bell - I would love to hear any information, as even snippets will help us find him smile.gif

Jenny

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.