Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Lamplighters
dorcas
post 25th Oct 2004, 10:31pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 1,050
I dont know if there has been a topic on the Glasgow lamplighter, my uncle was one for years, and as a child I was facinated watching him write all these numbers down in this wee book he carried, he done all the closes from pollokshaws ,shawlands then up Minard Rd till he got to the monument at the Victoria Infirmary where the corp lighting dept was. Some times he would take me,and he would pick up these tiny ladders on his route which he had chained to railings, to save carrying them all the way home (picture that today)He would replace mantles which were so fragile,I think thats what they were called, and he had a stick with a horrible smelling stuff at the top I think to light the lamp's, feel free to correct me, and on his cleanig day's when he would be up the ladders wipeing the panes of glass you would always get a wee woman coming out to say "mind the corner's son" He retired in the early sixties do we still have men going round doing , cleaning, changing bulbs or is it all in the past
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 25th Oct 2004, 11:11pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Hi Dorcas
What a wonderful wonderful memory to have...ah thoroughly enjoyed reading yer wee story there. smile.gif
I'd be surprised if they still did that, I think most every street would be electric lamposts now, but maybe they still do in some parts.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 26th Oct 2004, 12:38am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
My wee maw ,was a lamplighter,shortly after the war,around the Bridgeton are.She taught us that song The old lamplighter,we used to go out with her sometimes,and we would walk along the road singing the song. The neighbours ,used shout oout the windaes " Here comes Greta's choir. Think it was a sulphur compound, they used in the Wick Stick as she called it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 26th Oct 2004, 12:50am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
Hi Dorcas...great memories indeed...I believe the awful smelling stuff you mention was carbide.....they used to be called "Leeries"

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 26th Oct 2004, 01:43am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I remeber the wee lamplighter going down Kelvindale Rd across from the Barrakswith his wee ladder on his shoulder and his stick with the smelly stuff,in his pocket he had the Mantles.
this is for Jimmy
He made the nights a little brighter wherever he did go
the old lamplighter of long, long ago
Iam going to have to look up the rest of the words,I cannae remeber them. Ha, Ha biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Melody
post 26th Oct 2004, 06:42am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
The Leeries, there was something very comforting to see the Leerie. smile.gif

+Quote Post
FrankM
post 26th Oct 2004, 07:01am
Post #7

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,451
I believe the depot at the top of Langside Road is now a restaurant.

+Quote Post
Archie Millar
post 26th Oct 2004, 02:44pm
Post #8

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3
Hivnae been on the boards fur a wee while(a couple o' months) but a'm gettin' back on ma feet again - an this bloody m/c is playin' up
Anywise a got to tell youse, ma old man wis a lamplighter all his life from 1918 we lived in the dwellings at Brigton cross an' ma faither used tae light a' the lamps roon about there We moved to Househillwood in 1939 an he got a transfer to Langside depot.

That's a' the noo gote a lot tae catch up wi dry.gif

--------------------
am still standin'

--
GG Update:

Sadly Archie passed away in March 2007:

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8646

GG.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Oct 2004, 08:02pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember how dark the close and the landings used to get in the winter waiting for the Leerie coming and you would get half way up the stairs and someone would jump out and frighten the life out of you. wub.gif

Now we will all be singing about the "old lamplighter ". I can't remember any more either, so I'll just have to wait until Wee Mags gives us the rest of the words.

Nice to see you back Archie, hope you are feeling a lot better.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 26th Oct 2004, 08:42pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
What a wonderful memory! I remember the "Leeries" going around, but not in Glasgow, actually I remember them from Riccarton (acht away y'se go, fin oot whaur it is-no that far fae Glesga), and, at least for us kids in those few years I was there, it meant we could go out for our Hallowe'en, you couldn't start before the Leerie lit the gaslights, although there were electric lamps on some of the streets, that was not the "official" time to start saying, Please to give me my Hallowe'en, then do your wee poem, dance, etc,. Sorry I have completely wandered off topic here, but it just brought the memories flooding back about the Leerie and this time of year, Hallowe'en. G.B.

+Quote Post
Scotty
post 26th Oct 2004, 09:14pm
Post #11

Lord Provost
Member No.: 686
Great Topic Dorcas
I remember Danny well like you I followed him around it fasinated me yet he never got mad at us kids good old days and great story

Archie great to see you back hope things are going well for you

Joan
wub.gif

+Quote Post
dorcas
post 26th Oct 2004, 09:58pm
Post #12

Visitor
Member No.: 1,050
Glad you are all enjoying this thread, I forgot about them being called Leerie's,and I think you are right Jimmyd about it being a sulphur compound, and I look forward to hear the words of the Old Lamplighter Wee Mags.Thank-you Frank will let my Uncle Danny know about what has happened to langside depot, yes Joan,we did follow him,and Johnny Thomson ,also lamplighter from Harriet st then he moved to househillwood

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Oct 2004, 10:06pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Hi Dorcas
We had relations that lived in Harriet St. Pollockshaws, the McGuires, they were a big family. Did you know them?????????

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Scotty
post 26th Oct 2004, 10:16pm
Post #14

Lord Provost
Member No.: 686
Hi Heather
yes I knew them my Aunt Uncle Jannete and Billy Crawford also lived in Harriet St as did my Pal Jim Morrison
Cathie I forgot about Johnny
Uncle Danny will be delighted to hear about the changes

Joan
wub.gif

+Quote Post
jock
post 26th Oct 2004, 10:35pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
If you Google " the old lamplighter" you will get all the words to the song. I don't type well enough to copy them.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.