Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Health & Welfare In Glasgow, School Health Service
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 18th Jan 2010, 12:35pm
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
At the age of 15, after passing the Corporation Exam, I was sent to work in the School Health Service, 155 Bath Street, Glasgow. We handled all the administration work for around 24 school clinics all over the city. There were about 50 staff, mostly female apart from the top positions. I loved working there and became very interested in medical terminology.

I started in 1957 and only left in 1963 because I was emigrating to New Zealand. In the fifties, we worked in the office on Saturday mornings but were allowed one Saturday off a month. Another memory is that Glasgow Corporation did not employ married women, so as the single girls got married off they had to resign. Can't see that happening these days.

Next door at No.151, there was the Welfare Department, who handled school meals, etc. I've often wondered when these departments finally closed down and if the school clinics are still operating. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'd be pleased to hear any news.

I also recall that the Education Department was further down Bath Street at No.129.

Cheers.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 15th Feb 2010, 02:50pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
Greetings from Glasgow to Christchurch.
Yes the old school clinics are all gone, I believe most schools these days have a dedicated school nurse who looks after the kids welfare. I suppose it's a sign of the times as I well remember attending the Glenbarr Street clinic in Garngad which served St Roch's Primary and Secondary, St Rollox Primary and Rosemount Primary all in the area. I have horrible memories of tooth extractions without anaesthetic and getting various jags to ward off polio and the likes. Remember this was the 1950's and peoples health has improved immeasurably with much better standard housing and no more rat infested tenements.
The school meals still do a roaring trade with free breakfasts -
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/Goi...ater/Breakfast/
and after school services as well.
Yes, Bath Street had quite a few Glasgow Corporation service headquarters on it. These days, most of Glasgow City Council departments are sited around the George Square area in the city centre.
The old Corporation was quite an empire and if you got a job in it, it was a job for life. Today's Council is all about cuts and out-sourcing functions due to the current financial crisis, I'm afraid.

+Quote Post
kenomeat
post 15th Feb 2010, 08:37pm
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 7,794
Attached Image

The education department is now a rather swanky hotel called Abode. Stayed there when it first opened a few years back as The Art House Hotel and could picture all the old comings and goings.
Passed through Christchurch myself last January and would have liked to stay longer, but sadly schedule was fixed.
http://www.abodehotels.co.uk/glasgow
Now, let's see if I managed to attach the pic...

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 15th Mar 2010, 10:38am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Thanks, guys, for the info on Glasgow Corporation. Fancy the Education Department now a hotel. It looks like a good solid building, mind you. Yes, a Corporation job was considered a good one and I loved mine in the School Health Service.

Next year, I am hoping to travel back to the UK and this time for sure I will definitely be walking around all the old haunts, including Bath Street. Only having been back to Glasgow 4 times since 1963, my memories are still firmly etched in that era and it is hard to see it as it is now, though undoubtedly the city is a much cleaner and brighter place than in those days.

Cheers,

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
Elma
post 15th Mar 2010, 05:23pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I worked for Glasgow Corporation Education Department from 1953 to '59 and yes, I had to leave when I got married. I was in the office of Stow College of Engineering on Shamrock Street but we were always popping into the Further Education Department at 129 Bath Street. I remember it was on the second floor, windows on the left of the photograph. Supplies were ordered from the third floor. I remember the old elevator with the 'cage' doors!

I walked past 129 when I was back a couple of years ago, it looked the same on the outside as it always did. I felt like going in but decided against it as I was by myself - and it looked expensive tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 16th Mar 2010, 10:29am
Post #6

City Key Holder
BigArturo1

You mentioned Glenbarr Street clinic - I remember it well. As a junior in the School Health Service, I often had to take packages that were too big to post to the two biggest clinics - Glenbarr Street and Florence Street in the Gorbals. I was given tokens for the buses and went there first thing in the morning before work.

When the polio vaccines were being introduced, the SHS staff were called on to work at the clinics put on the evenings. I remember feeling very important at the time! Also, I can recall there was a suspected case of smallpox in Ruchill Hospital. We were all vaccinated in the office because if the smallpox case was confirmed we would be required to work in clinics set up for mass vaccinations. Fortunately for Glasgow, it turned out it was not smallpox after all.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.