Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn Hyde Park Works, The collapse of the locomotive industry
*g_rob1977*
post 21st Sep 2008, 04:31pm
Post #1

This might not be the topic for this board but I thought I'd share it.

I was on holiday in Spain a few years back, in a town called Aguilas, in Murcia. Nice place. Anyway, in a square in the town is a large steam locomotive with a plaque commemorating, if my memory and limited Spanish remembers, the prosperity brought to the town through the building of a railroad to serve a mine. On the side of the train, up near the drivers cabin and to my surprise, was a small round badge which read, amongst other things, 'North British Locomotive Company, Hyde Park Works, Springburn'. Not having lived in the area and the locomotive works having long since gone this came as somewhat of a surprise. I had heard of Glasgow's shipbuilding but not of the city's expertise in steam locomotives. By a curious quirk, I now live in Springburn thanks to my girlfriend/partner.

Thanks to the Glasgow Digital Library and its Springburn Museum link I have uncovered a lot of information on my new home. Much of it saddens me. Particularly how the guts of the town were ripped apart in the 60��s and 70's to accommodate a road and the short sighted development of high rise's at the expense of many Victorian buildings and tenements.

I would appreciate any incite into what killed the locomotive works. Shipbuilding staggered on in the Clyde, and in a small way still does. But not this industry. Records show things shut down in '64. Did this prompt the 're-development' of the area?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 21st Sep 2008, 11:18pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
To put it simply they could build steam engines but could not build a successful diesel electric.

Govan has been redeveloped and still has a shipbuilding industry.

Springburn was redevloped to cut five minutes off the journey time from Bishopbriggs to Glasgow.

Springburn Museum

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 22nd Sep 2008, 05:32pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Hi g-rob check out http://oldspringburn.wetpaint.com Lots of good info for you,good luck on your new home.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.