Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> March 13th, 1941 In Glasgow., Bombs on Govan
*Talisman*
post 5th Apr 2016, 09:18am
Post #16

QUOTE (*marilib* @ 3rd Nov 2014, 10:44pm) *
I was wondering if Nethan Street, Govan, where Thermotank people worked. My Mother was 13 during the war, but she never told me anything about it. Thermotank survived as I left Nethan Street in1959, it was still there. It must have been very scary being there, but the boys seemed to think it was a giant adventure. I'm due to go back to the Mitchell Library in 2 weeks time, so your site has whetted my appetite for more info. Marie McIntosh.

There was damage to Nethan st. from the bombing. When I was a wean I remember asking my mother why there were gaps between the buildings (tenements) where you could still see the remnants of paint and wall paper. My mother said it was from the bombing. She also told me that she had been trapped with others in an air raid shelter due to an unexploded aerial mine hanging about out side a shelter. This must have been before she was called up and ended up on Canvey Island in a R.A. anti aircraft battery.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.