Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lyon Street Glasgow, Memorial to those who died
liz39
post 10th Nov 2005, 06:42pm
Post #31

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,168
rosie k you are more than welcome to come along on the 18th november at 3pm i collected the memorial today its sitting in my livingroom as we speak its really beautiful its based around the original plaque but i hope everyone will be pleased i would like to meet the people like yourself and heather and everyone else who took the time to help me i dont know what i will do now as 2 years is a long time to reaserch something and its now came to an end hope you can manage liz
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 10th Nov 2005, 07:16pm
Post #32

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
I would dearly have loved to come, I stay in Arbroath and have grandchildren to pick up from School, thankyou Liz 39 I hope you all have a lovely time. I will no doubt hear more about it from the boards here.

+Quote Post
liz39
post 14th Nov 2005, 10:30pm
Post #33

Unpacking
rosie k thanks for your kind thoughts the school is mental at the moment the piper is lined up the bugler hopefully i think myself it will be a good turnout there will be a replica of the plaque at woodside library if you are back here visiting that way no one will be left out due to security reasons we cant have everybody coming to the school so know one will be left out every one will be able to share looking at it will let you know how friday goes liz

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 15th Nov 2005, 07:20pm
Post #34

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
Hello Liz 39 I bet your up to high doh at the moment, only days to go now, you deserve a pat on the back for all the research and hard work you have put in, congratulations, you have done well, and I am sure everything will be fine on the day, take care and enjoy yourself.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 15th Nov 2005, 09:01pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Good luck for Friday Liz, I hope everything goes well.

I would loved to have been there but I have other commitments that day. Hopefully I will be able to see the Memorial sometime as it sounds lovely.
I am wondering if I would recognise any of the names on it, obviously not the men, but names of families that I knew whilst growing up in the Cowcaddens.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
liz39
post 17th Nov 2005, 12:40am
Post #36

Unpacking
heather it was impossible to get all the names because the original has not turned up it would have been unfair to put the ones that i have on this new one and leave the rest out i would have been worried about upsetting the other families this new one is a war memorial not a roll of honour if the old one turns up i will add all of the names on the new memorial so all the names are together i have orginised a replica but smaller version to go up on the wall in woodside library that way the whole community can see it because once its in the school security would be a issue that way no one will have any problems seeing it will let you all know next week how everything went thank you heather and rosie k liz

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 18th Nov 2005, 05:23pm
Post #37

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
I would like to thank Liz39 on behalf of all my family living in Scotland and Oz, England and Canada. For the beautiful ceremony that was performed today at St Joseph's School. For my Grand Uncle Hugh and all the other men from Lyons Street who gave their lives, in the Great War 1914 to 1918. So that we could live the lives we have today if it were not for the men in both World Wars I think life in Scotland would completely different now.

Once again thank you Liz39 and all the staff who made me welcome today back at my old school.

Robert Carrigan

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 8th Dec 2005, 03:58pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
Dimairt
I too also went to St Joseph's Primary School Although I think it was way before your time .I was born in 1929 .
,But then it was in Manresa Place and the headmistress was Miss Peden ..The girls School was in North Woodside Road where the girls were taught by nuns .the boys school was on the opposite corner .On the corner of Braid Street and North Woodside road with the playground on top of the building.St Joe's Chapel has gone now ,sad to say .
I remember Lyon Street as well ,It was the most deprived street I can ever remember ,A real tough place top grow up
Best of luck
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 8th Dec 2005, 04:12pm
Post #39

Lord Provost
Hi Tommy,

I went to the Joe's 10 years after you according to your posts which state your age. I know what you are saying about Lyon St being poor but you could say the same about most streets around the Garscube Rd. After all it was thrown up in the first slum clearance as there was not enough housing at the time it was built not that it made a great difference to the state of the housing in general. The whole area before they built Phoenix Park Terrace and any Red Sandstone buildings most of it was Works I think Iron works and whiskey Bonds I could be wrong on the type of works.

Hudggy

This post has been edited by hudggy: 12th Dec 2005, 05:26pm

--------------------

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 12th Dec 2005, 01:28pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Hudgy
I understand what you are saying about all of the streets being shoddily built and quickly developing into slums .But you Know ? I lived in Crossburn Street just 2 streets along from Lyon Street and never ever gave a thought to being in a slum .After all ,we had an inside toilet .
Lyon Street somehow gained a reputation for being tough and run down and this reputation preceded it . I remember a lot of good people who came from Lyon Street and quite afew bad ones .
When we were young .we were warned about going through |Lyon Street at night ,simply because of its reputation.
I dont know if you remember Father Lyne .I remember he was attacked by a man who was on top of a building in LYon Street ,when all he wanted to do was help him .but that is another story .

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 12th Dec 2005, 05:25pm
Post #41

Lord Provost
Tommy,

We could go on about where in the Garscube Road was the worst street as I said Lyon St was not the worst. Maybe because people did not live there its reputation went before it, but many who lived there would say it was dirty and run down but you had the best type of people living next to you. Take Drumchaple or Casltemilk both have bad names but most of the people like living in these schemes. As far as the Priest being hurt I never heard about that and I thought the main part of Lyon St fell down before Father Lyne came to St Joes I could be wrong he did not come there till the mid or late fifties.

--------------------

+Quote Post
liz39
post 12th Dec 2005, 05:28pm
Post #42

Unpacking
dear tommy im liz from st josephs school i have asked almost everybody i know have even went pub crawls i was wondering do you have any ideas how many names were on the the original plaque in the garscube bar above the gantry or even anybody who has a photo of it in st josephs chapel i have about fifty names but i cannot cross match them with anything because i dont have any referance to the original many people i have spoke to cannot tell me either hope you can help liz

+Quote Post
Heather
post 12th Dec 2005, 06:58pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Hudggy, Fr. Lynnes was in St. Joseph's from the early 50s. That was the Parish we were in and we moved away in April 1953. He was the replacement for Fr. O'Leary when he was transferred to another Parish.

I also remember Lyon Street having a bad name.
One of my Aunts lived there for a few months, and although the buildings looked really bad, her house like most of her neighbours was spick and span inside. A case of 'don't judge the inside by the outside'.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 12th Dec 2005, 07:03pm
Post #44

Lord Provost
Heather,

As you can see i was not sure when father Lyne came to St Josesphs thanks for pointing that out to me. I was trying to get over to Tommy about the people of Lyon St even though it was a mess. What you said is what I was trying to say but could not put as well as you have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 14th Dec 2005, 04:29pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Dear HUDGY
The incident I was referring to was even reported in all the local papers .
Some guy who was the worst for drink or whatever, had given his missus a hammering .So somebody sent for Father Lyne .

By the time the priest got there ,the guy had climbed the building via the drain pipe. Father Lyne quite bravely climbed the pipe to try to talk the guy down ,But as he was climbing up the man who was now mad with anger and drink was tearing off roof tiles and throwing them at the good Father .

One of them hit him on the foot and almost sliced his foot off . Trust Father Mickey though ,He did manage to talk the guy down and became the hero of Lyon Street .His foot was bandaged for weeks .I cant remember the year ,but is was highlighted in all the Glasgow newspapers .
I was ever so fond of Father .Lyne . He even blessed my new born son in the middle of Crossburn Street as i was taking him to see his granny for the first time .

As for the people in Lyon Street ,I had a lot of respect for them. As you say the bad reputation preceded them /Some of my best pals came from the Street .Plus a girlfriend or two
I know it was not all bad .
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.