Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rationing.
taurus
post 13th Dec 2013, 05:46am
Post #16

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 13th Dec 2013, 12:54am) *
Don,t really remember sweeties as such being taken of rations but I think that must have been when sugar was taken off and remember it was a big thing for all the woman in the street who used to gather outside our close.

All I do remember was my Granda giving me a penny a few times a week and on the way to school it was normally Four chocolate caramels at a farthing each, used to last me ages. laugh.gif

Just out of interest what other major event connected to the second world war happened in 1953?

I should really put this in the 'On this day' topic but cant remember the exact date.

Just wondering how old you are,?? I`m coming on 75 and farthings were out of existence when I came along,well when I was old anough to go to the shop,maybe 5 years old onwards,
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 13th Dec 2013, 06:00am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (taurus @ 13th Dec 2013, 08:03am) *
Just wondering how old you are,?? I`m coming on 75 and farthings were out of existence when I came along,well when I was old anough to go to the shop,maybe 5 years old onwards,

Hi Taurus, you must have come from a really rich family, well most were compared to mine biggrin.gif but as far as I know the farthing was still in use right throughout the 50's

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Dec 2013, 07:47am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I was surprised to read that the farthing only ceased to be legal tender 31st December 1960, but I do not remember many being in circulation. I remember well the wee Jenny wren on the coin, but my memory is that they were a rarity in my youth.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 13th Dec 2013, 11:40pm
Post #19

Super Lord Provost
I can assure you Dave ,we were poorer than field mice,but never in my life did I go in a shop with a farthing,a ha`pnny was the smallest coin I knew. On an odd occasion if I found a farthing in the street and thought I was in the money,my mum told me it was useless no-one in the shops would take them.So that`s the truth,if I ever had as much as tuppence,I thought I was rich.

+Quote Post
angel
post 14th Dec 2013, 02:31am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Maybe I was about 7yrs of age at this time ...

We were having a spelling lesson in our class and when it was my turn , the teacher asked me to spell ' Farthing ' which I did and also we said the word .... then she told me again to spell farthing , "I thought that I had misspelled , so I did , once more spell farthing . she then grabbed my collar and walked me to a corner of the classroom stuffed a dictionary in my hand , telling me to study the word farthing , Now this Halfwit of a teacher never once explained why this humiliation against me was happening .

My spelling was correct , but when I said the word , I pronounced it , Farding " this whole episode probably lasted 30mins. or more Until I said the word as it was printed in the dictionary " , Hyphenated , Far-thing , sad.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 14th Dec 2013, 12:13pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Angel, I bet you never spelt farthing wrong again. ohmy.gif

I remember Rationing.

My mum used to get my eldest brother up early on a Saturday morning to go and wait in the queue at the Butcher until she got the rest of us younger one's dressed and fed. You had to be the queue early so we could have some butcher meat as it sold out very quick.

When we got our pocket money on Saturday, we went quickly off to the sweetie shop with our coupons to get sweets.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
angel
post 14th Dec 2013, 03:07pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Heather @ 14th Dec 2013, 12:30pm) *
Angel, I bet you never spelt farthing wrong again. ohmy.gif

I remember Rationing.

My mum used to get my eldest brother up early on a Saturday morning to go and wait in the queue at the Butcher until she got the rest of us younger one's dressed and fed. You had to be the queue early so we could have some butcher meat as it sold out very quick.

When we got our pocket money on Saturday, we went quickly off to the sweetie shop with our coupons to get sweets.

Hi Heather , My crime that morning was not my spelling , ... that was
correct , the problem was , how I pronounced the word , it sounded
like I was saying " farding " and not farthing with a ...... TH . biggrin.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 14th Dec 2013, 03:11pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel
post 14th Dec 2013, 03:24pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
And for your penance my child , just say a decade of the Rosary. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
serabash
post 14th Dec 2013, 08:03pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
does the catholic connection not take us off topic? why do some posters bring everything down to the chapel the mass the rosary, father magubligan. do all the non catholics really need tae be bombarded with this. no other people of faith bring their church into most topics. you can call me all the bigots you like but I am sorry you folk are the ones always talking about your religion on an open board. why not consider others that think your church is not the one true church.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 14th Dec 2013, 08:10pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
tongue.gif : rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
serabash
post 14th Dec 2013, 08:12pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
just the response I expected. your pals will be round any minute.

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 14th Dec 2013, 08:22pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
I enjoyed your "farthing" tale Angel. I'd call it very humorous and I'll wager the teacher's colleagues in the staff-room all thought it was homorous too, when she regaled them with your innocent attempts at pronouncing this difficult for-a-seven-year-old word.

But just a wee minute, the half-hour session with it wasn't all just funny, and I'm not talking about your humiliation either. I'm talking about the behavior of this "Halfwit of a teacher". First of all, I don't think she was a "Halfwit of a teacher". I think she demonstrated her excellence as a teacher. Think of how much easier it would have been for her to simply have said: "C'mon Angel, we pronounce it as, "far-thing ", and got on with the rest of her lesson. She wouldn't have "wasted" half an hour's teaching time--- and perhaps you and the rest of the class still wouldn't know how to pronounce "farthing"! How many school lessons do you remember... yes, not many, but you remember that one. Therein lies the reason for my commendation of the teacher.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 14th Dec 2013, 08:34pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (angel @ 14th Dec 2013, 04:41pm) *
And for your penance my child , just say a decade of the Rosary. biggrin.gif

ABRACADABRA ALACAZAM tongue.gif laugh.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 14th Dec 2013, 09:30pm
Post #30

Super Lord Provost
You `re being too kind Dugald,the teacher was a sadist to treat a 7 year old like that,very few people who read this board will NOT have suffered at the hands of a sadist schoolteacher,who knows what damage that sort of treatment would do to a child`s self esteem in later years. To be humiliated in front of 40 sniggering kids,who are sitting smugly glad it`s not them this time. Been there,it`s awful. Off the thread a thousand aplogies

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.