Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oh Where Is The Glasgow..., ...where i used to stay
iancameron
post 28th Feb 2007, 09:11am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 463
Oh where is the Glasgow where i used to stay, with white wally closes done wi' pipe clay
Where you knew every neighbour, from first floor to third, and to keep your door shut was considered absurd.
Where are the weans that once played in the street, wi a jorrie a peerie a gird wi a cleet
Can they still cadge a hudgie or dreep off the dyke, play hunch cuddy hunch kick the can and the like.
Where is the wee shop where i used to buy a quarter o tatties a tuppeny pie, a bag o broke biscuits a wee sodie scone, and the wummin' aye asked "hows yer maw gettin oan"
Where is the tallys that i knew so well, the wee corner shoppie where they used to sell , hot peas, a McCallum, ice cream in a poke you knew they were tallies the minute they spoke.
Where is the cludgie that cosy wee cell the string frae the cistern i remember it well, where i sat wi a caunle and studied the nags, a win for the rangers defeat for the jags.
Where is the tram car that once did a ton doon the great western road on the old yoker run, the conductress aye knew how to deal with a nyaff, if yer gaun well come oan if yer no then get aff.
I think o the days o my tenement hame we've got fancy hooses but there no just the same, i'll swap yer gizzunders flyovers and jams for a tuppeny ride on the old partick tram.
Gone is the glesga that i used to know, big wullie, wee shooie, the steamy, the co, the shilpit wee bachle and glaikit big dreep, yer baws on the slate and yer gas at a peep.
those days werny rosy and money was tight, the wages hauf finished by saturday night, but still we came thru it and weathered the the ruts, the reason is simple, "Our Parents Had Guts" .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Java
post 28th Feb 2007, 09:31am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Brilliant Ian....cheers.... biggrin.gif

A wee side note here....ah'm jist readin Molly Weir at the minit and yer wee poem jist confirmed it - ah've only jist realised where the word 'tally' came frae...duh... biggrin.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Avril
post 28th Feb 2007, 10:51am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Thanks for that Ian. I was sent that poem a couple of years ago and I lost it...so glad that you posted it...it's brilliant!

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
matt.63
post 28th Feb 2007, 01:47pm
Post #4

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,502
Matrvellous say's it all, who wrote this? biggrin.gif

--------------------
A man's a man for a that

+Quote Post
big al
post 28th Feb 2007, 05:00pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
written by Adam McNaughton who wrote the famous Jeely Piece song and many others as well

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post
iancameron
post 28th Feb 2007, 08:14pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Big Al, I miss everything thats in that poem, thats why I dont realy enjoy going up to Glasgow so much as I used to. Cant turn back the clock but wish to hell I could, just if it was only to smell the air in Central station, to see kids out playing getting dirty,and to see my grannys face on my way home from school. Ah well such is life.
sad.gif

+Quote Post
big al
post 1st Mar 2007, 08:31am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
i know the feeling Ian - in part that's why I don't enjoy going back as much as I did - the other part is that both my parents are dead now and a large part of my love for Glasgow died at the same time...but poems or songs like that one by Adam take you back - not necessarily to that time or to those scenes but one thing is certain - my parents and their parents all had guts - what they had to put up with in terms of living conditions would scare the majority of people today - how many of us can honestly say that they would put up with what our parents did back in the thirties to fifties ? The bulk of people today couldn't cope with the lives our mothers and fathers had. I am glad in many ways that my children will never see some of the stuff I saw but you wonder sometimes if everything is too easy today - well it surely is but is that their fault or is it because of our reaction/s to what went before? that is an interesting question and I would be keen to hear from people on that aspect....

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post
iancameron
post 1st Mar 2007, 01:16pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Feel the sam way Al, and I think its our fault how things are turning around. We all want to see our kids do better in life than us, but in doing that we take away some of there childhood I think. We try too hard too quickly to give them the good life. I,v got 6 kids all working apart from the youngest who,s 19 and wheelchair bound. The oldest boy is a CPO in the navy, and worked hard to get his promotion, the youngest boy is at university in his final year of his physiopherapist degree, and he thinks that he will be able to buy a new car, house and everthing else all at the one time, he,s a good lad, but I can see the difference in the 12 year age gap of the two boys. Same with the girls, the oldest seems to be more able to take the knocks in life better than the others. And with the grandchildren my kids they get everything they ask for. But nobody asks the question what are they going to do when they get older. As I see it we live in a mamby pamby state which is only going to get worse. Have you ever noticed that some people who buy there council house all of a sudden change the attitude to those who live around them, all of a sudden the wee bit of garden they have at the front belongs to them, and god help the kid who walks on it. sad.gif

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 11th Jan 2008, 10:18pm
Post #9

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,797
There's always two sides to every story. Adam McNaughton's nostalgic reflections in 'The Glasgow That I used To Know' were counteracted by folksinger Jim McLean.

His version of the song was:

" Oh where is the Glasgow I used to know?
The tenement buildings that let in the snow.
Through the cracks in the plaster the cold winds did blow,
and the water we washed in was fifty below.

We read by the gaslight, we had nae t.v.,
hot porridge for breakfast, cold porridge for tea.
Some weans had rickets and some had T.B.
Aye, that's what the Glasgow of old means to me.

Noo the neighbour's complained if we played with a ba',
or hunch cuddy hunch against somebody's wa',
if we played kick-the-can we'd tae watch for the law,
and the polis made sure we did sweet bugger a'.

And we huddled together to keep warm in bed,
we had nae sheets or blankets, just auld coats instead.
and a big balaclava to cover your head,
and 'God, but it's cauld' was the only prayer said.

Noo there's some say that tenement living was swell.
That's the wally-close toffs who had doors wi' a bell,
two rooms and a kitchen and a bathroom as well,
while the rest of us lived in a single-end hell.

So wipe aff that smile when you talk o' the days
ye lived in the Gorbals or Cowcaddens ways.
Remember the rats and the mice ye once chased,
for tenement living was a bloody disgrace."

Apparently Adam acknowledged that Jim's song had a piece of the truth about tenement living and had been known to sing both songs back to back.

extracts from 'One Singer, One Song' , Songs of Glasgow Folk by Ewan McVicar.
Published by Glasgow City Libraries, The Mitchell Library.
I think I purchased this songbook from the Art Galleries in Kelvingrove.

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.