Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dali's Christ Leaves, As Pope Set To Visit, Iconic painting goes on loan until next year
Mathieson
post 16th Jul 2010, 07:14pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
QUOTE (Guest @ 13th Jul 2010, 10:47pm) *
Loan of the Dali painting "Christ of St John of the Cross" to the Atlanta High Museum was announced on 2 March 2010. The pope's visit to Scotland was confirmed on 16 March 2010, a full two weeks later.

So is this a total non-story from the press trying to stir up some trouble out of nothing? The same press that roundly condemns Scottish society for religious strife? smile.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 16th Jul 2010, 09:10pm
Post #47

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
It might be if those dates were accurate, however, the Pope's visit to Scotland was actually confirmed a long time before 16th March 2010.

Anyway, the dates are only one aspect of the concerns many Glaswegians have regarding this affair.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Cash-Ma-Giro
post 16th Jul 2010, 11:56pm
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,023
QUOTE (Mathieson @ 16th Jul 2010, 09:31pm) *
So is this a total non-story from the press trying to stir up some trouble out of nothing? The same press that roundly condemns Scottish society for religious strife? smile.gif

The same press that roundly condemn Scottish society for all strife, no doubt. biggrin.gif

cash.

--------------------
Remember, just above those clouds,
the sun is always shining.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 17th Jul 2010, 07:10am
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
The date given by "Guest" for the Pope's visit to Scotland is confirmed by STV. Follow this link to see the source.

STV

It might be if those dates were accurate, however, the Pope's visit to Scotland was actually confirmed a long time before 16th March 2010.

It would be interesting to learn GG's date and his source.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
Java
post 17th Jul 2010, 07:50am
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Good morning Luceo, nice to see you posting. biggrin.gif

From my reading of the topic, GG's date of 28th January and the source (Daily Record) of that date are in post number 44.

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 17th Jul 2010, 08:57am
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Wow! This is warming up apace. More intriguing than The da Vinci Code. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 17th Jul 2010, 08:57am
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
Thank you, Java, but, from the same report:

The Vatican have not yet confirmed the visit, though an announcement is due at the end of next month or early March.

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
Celyn
post 17th Jul 2010, 09:36am
Post #53

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,912
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 17th Jul 2010, 10:14am) *
... More intriguing than The da Vinci Code. rolleyes.gif

NOT difficult! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Jul 2010, 11:53am
Post #54

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Luceo @ 17th Jul 2010, 08:27am) *
It would be interesting to learn GG's date and his source.

Luceo

The earlier source was none other than Cardinal Keith O’Brien:

Pope Benedict XVI to visit Scotland next year
24 September 2009

The leader of Scotland’s Roman Catholics has confirmed that Pope Benedict XVI will come to Scotland next year as part of his state visit to Britain. ...

If the word of Cardinal O’Brien is not good enough then you could have been re-assured with the Daily Record's exclusive of 28th January 2010, also quoted and sourced, which pre-empted official confirmation from the Pope on 5th February 2010 that he would visit Scotland as part of his visit to Britain (confirmed previously). The Pope's visit to the UK had been widely anticipated for some time following an official invitation by Gordon Brown, delivered personally to Pope Benedict during a private audience in February last year.

If further proof that Guest's assertion that "the pope's visit to Scotland was confirmed on 16 March 2010" is clearly in error, then here it is:

Pope confirms visit to Scotland
5 February 2010

The Pope has confirmed that he will visit Scotland as part of his trip to Britain later this year.

Pope Benedict XVI told Scottish Catholic bishops gathered in Rome that he looked forward to being with them on their native soil. ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8500687.stm

Personally though, Cardinal O’Brien's confirmation, as the leader of Scotland’s Roman Catholics, was good enough for Glasgow Guide:

Pope Benedict To Visit Scotland (24 September 2009)
http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17347

To Guest: do you wish to comment on the discussion of the dates you gave in your post.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Jul 2010, 12:01pm
Post #55

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Luceo @ 17th Jul 2010, 10:14am) *
Thank you, Java, but, from the same report:

The Vatican have not yet confirmed the visit, though an announcement is due at the end of next month or early March.

Luceo

Luceo, I'm afraid that you (and the Daily Record) are confusing confirmation of the visit with confirmation of the itinerary for the visit.

Now let's move on ... does anyone know the date when Glasgow Life (Culture and Sport Glasgow) agreed to loan the Dali's Christ of Saint John of the Cross to the Atlanta High Museum?

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 17th Jul 2010, 12:36pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Knickers - twist -conspiracy theory - paranoia - religious icon - machiavellian political intrigue.

It´s all here . I am contacting Dan Brown right away. Should be worth as bob or two´s commission. biggrin.gif

Seriously, Martin, did I read you saying "Let´s move on" ? sad.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Jul 2010, 01:45pm
Post #57

Administrator
Group Icon
Bilbo, if Mr Brown replies please let us know ... and tell him we expect appropriate acknowledgements in any resulting publication! laugh.gif

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Java
post 17th Jul 2010, 02:11pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Jul 2010, 02:18pm) *
does anyone know the date when Glasgow Life (Culture and Sport Glasgow) agreed to loan the Dali's Christ of Saint John of the Cross to the Atlanta High Museum?

GG.

Minutes of Glasgow City Council Meeting - Executive Committee - show request and agreement discussed on 5th March 2010 huh.gif

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/96D...rint7200910.pdf

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Elma
post 17th Jul 2010, 04:04pm
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
To get back to the original intent of this thread, I see absolutely no relevance between the Dali painting and the visit of the Pope. This painting belongs to all the people of Glasgow and hangs in a public place in the Art Gallery where it is enjoyed by everyone who visits. The Pope, the elected leader of the Roman Catholic faith will be visiting Glasgow in September on, I am sure, a very tight schedule. Do you think he would be visiting the Art Gallery? I think not, and most of the people who are excited about his visit are Glaswegians anyway and have probably seen the painting already or are not interested in it.

I am sure the people of Atlanta who see this fantastic painting will appreciate it and knowing from where it came, may be interested in a visit to Glasgow and its environs in the future.

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Jul 2010, 08:03pm
Post #60

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Java @ 17th Jul 2010, 03:28pm) *
Minutes of Glasgow City Council Meeting - Executive Committee - show request and agreement discussed on 5th March 2010 huh.gif

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/96D...rint7200910.pdf

Excellent Java, thanks. The minutes clearly establish (although they do not give the work its proper title) that approval was given by the council's executive committee one month after the Pope officially confirmed that he would visit Scotland.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Oct 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.