Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stobhill Hospital, Nightingale Wards
wee davy
post 21st Jun 2010, 09:53pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Attached Image

Stobhill 1930

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/editor-...pital-1.1033799

I visited Stobhill just twice - once for a crushed finger - like an eejit, me and some pals were playing with an iron bedstead left oot in a back court, when it fell slap bang on tae my poor wee digit!
So, that only lasted the time it took tae whack some stitches in it - and aff I went - avoiding old bedsteads for the rest of my natural life! biggrin.gif

The next time, however, I was incarcerated in one of those old Victorian 'Nightingale' wards for some weeks. Whit a frightening experience that wiz! There was only one nurse who seemed to offer some compassion to us waifs - and SHE was forever getting told off (for being too saft most probably). The picture below is from 1915 - but it didn't change very much in 50yrs - believe me!!

Attached Image

I'm glad to see it has been wiped from the face of the earth - and has risen - phoenix like - now recognised as a world health centre of excellence'.

Anybody else do some 'time' in there? It wiz frightenin', honest unsure.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 21st Jun 2010, 10:15pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Was in this hospital twice, once to visit my g/grm who was a patient in
a big ward like that one, second time to have ma tonsisl out, didn't
like my experience, the nurse was wicked.

oops tonsils.

+Quote Post
benny
post 21st Jun 2010, 10:33pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
I was in Stobhill - ward 42B - with Rheumatic Fever round about 1956/57 and spent 9 weeks there. I don't remember much about the first few weeks - I suppose I slept most of the time - but I do remember the daily penicillin injections and the aspirins in orange juice 4 times a day. Luckily for me, penicillin had become available for the general public, instead of just the armed forces, by that time. The biggest fear with Rheumatic Fever was that it would permanently weaken the heart, so - being a chunky chappie even then - every time my weight went over a certain figure, they would admit me back intae ward 42B for a few weeks and put me on a diet, and check oot ma ticker before they released me back intae the wild.

When I first went into Stobhill, the wards were pretty much as in the photo - long rooms with a row of beds on each side, polished wooden floorboards and a coal burning stove in the centre of the ward. There was also central heating. I remember that because the radiators use to be crawling with an insect they termed "steam flies" - ah still don't know whit their real name wis. Every morning - apart from Sunday - the beds would be pulled out into the centre of the ward and the floors mopped and polished with a pink stuff that looked like blancmange. The fittings and fixtures would also be washed down, and the Matron was often there to see it was done properly. I remember one of the cleaning ladies well - a Mrs Scobie - a wee, dumpy, rosy cheeked wummin and a hard wee grafter. Ah also remember one of the Matrons or Deputy Matrons - she was a Teuchter and a very nice lady, if a wee bit fearsome looking. Kippers were often served at breakfast in thae days, and ah remember me pokin away wi a fork at mine, tryin tae be genteel, when she came up tae me and said, "Use your hands, laddie. If it was good enough for Mary Queen of Scots, it's good enough for you!" smile.gif
I also remember a nurse Chambers - ah think she was a probationer - she had the most beautiful blonde hair and used tae sing the pop songs of the day tae us.

When I had recovered enough to get up, after about 7 weeks in bed, I had to learn to walk again.
Nae Zimmers in thae days - I had to use the trolley they served the meals from, pushing it in front of me while holding on to the big bar at the end.

I also remember a couple of really sad cases. One was a wee boy in the next bed to me called David - only 4 years old - who was dying from Leukemia. There was really nothing that could be done for him in those days. The other was a mentally retarded boy who had to be restrained in bed and who absolutely terrified me with his grunts and groans. (Ah wis only aboot 8 year auld maself, remember.)

On the whole, ah would say ah quite enjoyed ma stays in 42B, and ah certainly didnae find the nurses horrible - quite the opposite for most of them. When ah was moved tae the convalescent home at Lenzie for a further 3 weeks, that wis a different story.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 22nd Jun 2010, 07:38am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (benny @ 21st Jun 2010, 11:50pm) *
On the whole, ah would say ah quite enjoyed ma stays in 42B, and ah certainly didnae find the nurses horrible - quite the opposite for most of them. When ah was moved tae the convalescent home at Lenzie for a further 3 weeks, that wis a different story.

You have the much better memory, benny. I probably do the nurses a little bit of a disservice, in Stobhill (although still strict) I of course meant no disrespect to any of the staff from the hospital. It was just the times.
Attached Image

I too got shifted out to Lenzie (above) for 'convalesence' to do 'hard time' LOL

Attached Image

What was Lenzie convalescent hospital 2001 before demolition

Now that place was Vereeeee strict, as we tried to 'escape' OFTEN! Some of us even 'made it over the wire' haha
Link : Proposed care village development
http://www.theparkaberdeen.co.uk/future_developments.htm

I've since found out there was a massive mental hospital called Woodlee there - and I often have wondered if they put ME in the WRONG ONE!! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
benny
post 22nd Jun 2010, 09:24am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Some of the younger nurses at Lenzie were awright, but the aulder wans and the Matron were like Concentration Camp guards, and the teacher in the wee school wis an auld Tartar.
The hoose itself wid've gave ye the heebie-jeebies, it wis like an auld Victorian mansion - although ah think it wis built later than that - wi it's big staircases wi polished widden bannisters an the long coridors. Ah remember the big room near the front door where ye got yer treatment wi the sunray lamp, where ye met yer visitors and where ye got seein the odd film show. Ah think the Sunday School (compulsory) wis also held in that room.
Ah hated Lenzie the first time ah wis there. Ma bedroom wis on the ground floor, shared wi 3 other boys. When ye went tae bed, the big widden shutters on the windae were closed and it wis absolutely black - ye couldnae see yer haun in front of yer face, and woe betide ye if ye were caught oota bed fur any reason. In the end, ma mother took me hame efter 3 weeks , followin an argument wi the Matron aboot wan o the nurses slappin me.

Ah wis in Lenzie again a coupla years later and the difference wis unbelievable. The whole atmosphere of the place had changed - a new Matron had taken over. Ah actually enjoyed ma stay that time roon.
But, whether it wis in Stobhill or Lenzie it wis always good tae get back hame again tae yer normal life. As ah've said, ah wis in Stobhill quite frequently up until ah wis aboot 12, an every time ye left the ward behind and walked up fur the bus hame, it wis like enterin a different world - even the air smelled different efter weeks in a hospital ward.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 22nd Jun 2010, 09:38am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (benny @ 22nd Jun 2010, 10:41am) *
The hoose itself wid've gave ye the heebie-jeebies, it wis like an auld Victorian mansion - although ah think it wis built later than that

Built 1871 - took its first patients 1873

But, whether it wis in Stobhill or Lenzie it wis always good tae get back hame again tae yer normal life. As ah've said, ah wis in Stobhill quite frequently up until ah wis aboot 12, an every time ye left the ward behind and walked up fur the bus hame, it wis like enterin a different world - even the air smelled different efter weeks in a hospital ward.

Thats because it WIZ different benny! lol

I remember the four 'man' rooms and the shutters btw - I'm shuddering just at the thought laugh.gif

I don't even think you were allowed tae SPEAK at times, in Lenzie!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
*andy wilson*
post 22nd Aug 2010, 01:25pm
Post #7

QUOTE (glasgow lass @ 21st Jun 2010, 11:17pm) *
Was in this hospital twice, once to visit my g/grm who was a patient in
a big ward like that one, second time to have ma tonsisl out, didn't
like my experience, the nurse was wicked.

oops tonsils.

Tonsils and adenoids-goad whens the last time they were taken oot in a hospital?-I remember being taken to Glasgow Ear Nose And Throat hospital in the Toon Centre to get mine oot!-for what reason I don't know!-had to eat icecream for 3 days!-(and believe it or not I HATE icecream!)

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 16th Nov 2016, 11:03pm
Post #8

Was anyone on this forum a nurse at Stobhill during the 1940's early 1950's?

I'm looking for anyone that may have known my grans sister Irene Horsley.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.