Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

165 Pages V  « < 163 164 165  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> On This Day In .....................
Rating 5 V
Doug1
post 26th Jan 2018, 02:50pm
Post #2461

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
The One O'Clock Gun was fired for the first time in Edinburgh on this day in 1861. The gun was created to complement a time ball on Nelson's Monument, which proved of no use in foggy conditions. The original gun took four men to fire and was connected to the Royal Observatory's clock by a 4,000 foot electric cable.
Attached Image

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 30th Jan 2018, 07:49am
Post #2462

Mega City Key Holder
King Charles I was executed on this day in 1649 after being accused of high treason against his kingdom, following a trial at which the king refused to plead.

The execution took place outside Banqueting House in London, where the king was beheaded by a masked executioner who was never officially named - some sources state that the executioner was London's hangman Richard Brandon, others point to an Irishman named Gunning.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 30th Jan 2018, 03:11pm
Post #2463

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in...

1349 Jews of Freilsburg Germany are massacred

1647 Scots agree to sell King Charles I to English Parliament for 400

1661 Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England is ritually executed after having been dead for two years

1804 Scottish explorer Mungo Park leaves England seeking source of Niger River

1820 British explorer Edward Bransfield aboard Williams sights Trinity Peninsula, Antarctica, claiming it for Britain

1826 The Menai Suspension Bridge, considered the world's first modern suspension bridge, connecting the Isle of Anglesey to the north West coast of Wales is opened.

1873 "Around the World in 80 Days" by Jules Verne is published in France by Pierre-Jules Hetzel

1948 Mahatma Gandhi assassinated by Nathuram Godse

1965 State funeral of Winston Churchill at St Paul's Cathedral in London. Then world's largest ever state funeral.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 31st Jan 2018, 11:44am
Post #2464

Mega City Key Holder
Prince Charles Edward Louis John Casimir Silvester Severino Maria, the last member of the House of Stuart to actively pursue its claim to the crowns of England, Scotland and Ireland, died on this day in 1788 at the Palazzo del Re in Rome, aged 67
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 3rd Feb 2018, 02:23pm
Post #2465

Mega City Key Holder
The regiment of General George Monck marched into London on this day in 1660 from Coldstream to help keep London secure during the Restoration of King Charles II. General Monck's regiment went on to become known as the Coldstream Guards.

Charles II rewarded Monck for his services to the monarchy by making him a Knight of the Garter, Gentleman of the Bedchamber and Master of Horse, with a pension of 7,000 a year and a number of titles, including Duke of Albemarle.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 6th Feb 2018, 05:59pm
Post #2466

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in..

1685 Duke of York becomes King James II of England and VII of Scotland upon the death of his brother Charles II

1819 Stamford Raffles founds Singapore as a British trading port

1935 "Monopoly" board game goes on sale for 1st time

1952 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds King George VI to the British throne and proclaimed Queen of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms including Canada, Australia and New Zealand

1958 21 dead in air crash in Munich; 7 of those are from the Manchester United football team

1971 The Irish Republican Army shoots and kills Gunner Robert Curtis, the first British soldier to die during the 'Troubles'

1981 Crime film "Fort Apache: The Bronx" starring Paul Newman released amid protests in the US

2005 Super Bowl XXXIX, the New England Patriots win 24-21 over the Philadelphia Eagles

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 8th Feb 2018, 12:30pm
Post #2467

Mega City Key Holder
The execution of Mary Queen of Scots took place on this day in 1587, at Fotheringay Castle in England, in front of witnesses who included Mary's companions Jane Kennedy and Elizabeth Curle. The two-foot high scaffold constructed for the execution was draped in black, and the dukes of Shrewsbury and Kent accompanied Mary to the execution as witnesses, alongside her companions.

After her death, Mary's body was embalmed and her coffin was taken to Peterborough Cathedral following a Protestant service. Mary's son King James VI ordered her body to be exhumed in 1612 and she was reburied in Westminster Abbey.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 12th Feb 2018, 08:29am
Post #2468

Mega City Key Holder
Reverend Henry Duncan, a minister who founded one of the world's first commercial banks, died on this day in 1846. Duncan was a church minister who used his position to help those in need. He is perhaps best known for establishing one of the world's first savings banks, with account deposits which were within the reach of ordinary working people, at a time when opening a savings account would have been beyond the means of most people.

Duncan ministered to the same parish for the whole of his working life, and also worked as an author, publishing The Cottage Fireside series of tracts and founding The Dumfries & Galloway Courier which he edited for seven years.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 13th Feb 2018, 03:25pm
Post #2469

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in....

1633 Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei arrived in Rome for trial before Inquisition for professing belief that earth revolves around the Sun

1692 Glencoe Massacre: about 78 MacDonalds killed early in the morning by rival Campbell clan members, allegedly for not promptly pledging allegiance to the new king, William of Orange

1777 Marquis de Sade arrested without charge, imprisoned in Vincennes fortress

1858 Sir Richard Burton & John Speake explore Lake Tanganyika, Africa

1907 English suffragettes storm British Parliament & 60 women are arrested

1945 Allied planes begin bombing Dresden, Germany; a firestorm results and over 22,000 die

1972 "Cabaret", directed by Bob Fosse, based on the musical of the same name and starring Liza Minnelli and Michael York, is released

1982 Pink Floyd's album "Dark Side of the Moon" marks 402 weeks in the album charts

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 13th Feb 2018, 05:37pm
Post #2470

Mega City Key Holder
The shipping company David Hutcheson & Co. was founded on this day in 1851 when they purchased the West Highland steamers belonging to Messrs. G. & J. Burns of Liverpool.

The original fleet included the paddle steamers Edinburgh Castle (pictured on Loch Ness). One of the partners in the firm was David MacBrayne who took over the business in 1879
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 15th Feb 2018, 12:40pm
Post #2471

Mega City Key Holder
On this day in 1848, the Caledonian Railway Company was officially opened, running trains between Glasgow and London in competition with rivals North British Railway.
At the height of its success in the first half of the twentieth century, the Company controlled almost 3,000 miles of track and had extensive holdings, including hotels, steamers and harbours.
The Caledonian Railway Company came to an end in 1923, when it was amalgamated into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

165 Pages V  « < 163 164 165
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Feb 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.