Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shawlands
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 06:05pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Shawlands

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Shawlands

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 7th Mar 2008, 01:49pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
Although not a native of Shawlands by birth, my wife and I were both “Northsiders” who migrated south of the river when we married in 1979. My wife always wanted a church wedding and after approaching Shawlands Church, we were refused by the minister because we came from outwith the area and were not church members. A quick trip next door to Shawlands Old Parish Church at
the cross and that minister could not have been more accommodating and the wedding was duly arranged.
We bought a flat in Deanston Drive, top flat and a bugger when carrying the weekly shopping up the stairs as oxygen was usually required ! The Shawlands Hotel was around back then which was later demolished to make way for the Shopping Centre on Kilmarnock Road.
My son went to Langside Primary on Tantallon Road then on to Shawlands Academy, both a couple of minutes walk from our house. When we decided to extend our family, the thought of lugging prams up three flights of stairs was the catalyst for us moving a mile out the road to Newlands and a ground floor house.

I well remember the pub right at the gushet at Shawlands Cross was called Sammy Dow’s and was a bit run down. It was later taken over, refurbished and renamed “The Granary” and was a roaring success.
Other older bars now gone or renamed were The Rogano at the corner of Millwood Street and Kilmarnock Road which became Finlay’s. There was The Marlborough on Kilmarnock Road which was side by side with The Corona which eventually took it over. There was the Fare Stage on Kilmarnock Road round the corner from the old Newlands Bus Garage (now Morrisons). This was revamped and became J.J.Booths for a couple of years before it and the Newlands Hotel closed, much to the relief of the people who lived nearby. Probably the one constant feature among all the changing pubs is The Georgic at Shawlands Cross.
This was a traditional old man’s shop which did not even have a ladies toilet in the 1970’s and was the subject of some feminist ire and eventually it had to give in and join the 20th century and install a ladies loo. It’s still going strong today and although it has an older clientele, does a roaring trade.
With its array of shops and pubs and being on two major bus routes via Pollokshaws Road and Kilmarnock Road which both meet at Shawlands Cross, it is a great place to live. It is also fortunate to be one of the few Glasgow areas that have retained and refurbished the old red sandstone tenements which lends a bit of character to the district. I sympathise with one of the posters on the Springburn forum who remembered that area with its old tenements and used the phrase “Glasgow Corporation destroyed what the Luftwaffe couldn’t” when they were all torn down in the 1970’s and the heart ripped out of the area in the process. Fortunately the Shawlands tenements survived and will outlast some of the so called “luxury flats” being built in the area.

+Quote Post
*Robert McCulloch*
post 17th Jan 2009, 11:48am
Post #3

Thankyou so much for conformation on the Granary`s previous name of Sammy Dow`s. We left Shawlands in 1973 for Australia. Having been back in 2004 and 2008, no one would admit to the pub ever being Sammy Dow`s, or having any other name from the Granary. I lived on the top floor in Deanston Dr. too (sympathize with lugging shopping up those stairs.) No. 86 (1966 - 1971) Many happy memories of Shawlands, The church, Waverley, Shawlands hotel, Doune Castle, Newlands hotel, etc

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 11th Jul 2009, 05:07pm
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,882
We lived at 79 Deanston Drive before moving to America. I don't really remember it since I was four when we moved but my Mum used to say I sat in the window seat of the front window and watched for my Auntie to come up the street. Believe we were on the second floor.

+Quote Post
Magi
post 15th Aug 2009, 10:46pm
Post #5

Settling In
Member No.: 236
I remember well all the places you mentioned. I bought my first home on Eastwood Ave a short distance from where I worked, Denholm TV repairs at Shawlands Cross. My brother lived on Bertram St off Minard Road
Magi

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 16th Aug 2009, 05:27am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
I was told recently that they knocked down Shawlands Arcade, used to go there every Saturday with my friends .I didnt think it was that old either.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 16th Aug 2009, 09:00am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
P.D. They didn't knock down the Arcade, it was closed for renovations as far as I know. Have been since and it is much the same, a few empty shops. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 18th Aug 2009, 02:50am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Thanks Stratson , I couldnt figure why they would knock it down.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
Gordon
post 15th Dec 2009, 12:08pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,851
Does anybody remember Shorts' Bakery on Pollokshaws road just along from the Corona Bar? They sold the best mutton pies ever! Also loved their individual apple and rhubarb tarts.

+Quote Post
**maniloonie**
post 15th Jan 2010, 01:13am
Post #10

QUOTE (Robert McCulloch @ 17th Jan 2009, 11:46am) *
Thankyou so much for conformation on the Granary`s previous name of Sammy Dow`s. We left Shawlands in 1973 for Australia. Having been back in 2004 and 2008, no one would admit to the pub ever being Sammy Dow`s, or having any other name from the Granary. I lived on the top floor in Deanston Dr. too (sympathize with lugging shopping up those stairs.) No. 86 (1966 - 1971) Many happy memories of Shawlands, The church, Waverley, Shawlands hotel, Doune Castle, Newlands hotel, etc

Is that the Waverley chip shop in Minard Road that you're talking about, my mother worked in there in the early seventies, the owners were Diamond and Amelia Andrucci if i remember right. Really nice people, i see it's away now, laundrette if i'm right??

+Quote Post
*Lynsay*
post 16th Jun 2012, 06:07am
Post #11

I went to shawlands primary and shawlands academy but stayed in the maxwell park / crossmyloof area. My daddy used to take me to shawlands every weekend and fed the birds in front of the old hotel then to mcdonalds toy shop on skirving street (now bean scene). Later I worked in Tusk across from shawlands academy, used to be the old snooker hall and a long time before that, the elephant cinema and tearooms. Brooklyn cafe was also an old haunt for me and is still there now. We also used to go drinking in jjbooths or newlands hotel then they knocked it down. My mum worked in shawlands in Roy Slater estate agents. Do you guys remember roscos nightclub, I was actually too young to go but they changed it various times after to different names x

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 11th Feb 2015, 10:59am
Post #12

I used to go to The Marlborough hotel in Shawlands in the 70s there was a duo group called King and Squire played there.

Does anyone remember them?

+Quote Post
christine 1955
post 20th Apr 2017, 03:45pm
Post #13

Visitor
Member No.: 6,662
I worked in Woolworths in Shawlands Arcade, from March 72 till January 75. When I moved to Ayr , brilliant job great girls to work with, Jackie Lawrence , Linda Burnett, Helen Ross. Miss Sweeney was the staff supervisor, her sister also a spinster she was a supervisor. Brilliant staff canteen mince and tatties on a Monday, chips and macaroni, then semolina on a Wednesday, fish chips then rice pudding on a Friday. Manager was a Mr Davies, under manager was Charlie McMonigle he was a great boss. Betty Cullen was an Irish girl who was a supervisor and good to work with. A very good bunch of girls to work with , I think I worked on every counter, the best one was the toy counter. Bringing back great memories,but that is enough for now.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.