Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Lyon Street Glasgow Memorial, Memorial To Men Of Lyon Street
Rating 4 V
Raymond Bell
post 7th Dec 2006, 07:28pm
Post #16

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,677
571 people have looked at this posting concerning the Men of Lyon Street. The story and search continues so any information on the whereabouts of the memorial no matter how trivial may open the door to what happened to it so please give us any info you never know your little bit of info may be the bit of the jig saw that completes the search

Thanking you in anticipation

Raymond Bell
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 28th Dec 2006, 02:51pm
Post #17

Super Resident
I wish to thank Alex Cameron for confirming that a piper and bugler from the barracks continued to honour the men from Lyon Street up till the outbreak of the Second World War I am still asking if anyone can add to the location of the memorial.

I would also wish everyone a Happy New Year and thank you to all that have added a bit more information to the memorials history BUT STILL LOOKING

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 20th Jan 2007, 01:19pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Still searching - I visited RHF Museum in Sauchiehall Street and rumaged through some of their memorial plaques but found nothing of the Lyon Street memorial so I will have to continue along a different route - Anyone out there offer any help?

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Scots Evelyn
post 28th Feb 2007, 06:00pm
Post #19

Settling In
Member No.: 4,597
Hi Raymond,

Before I start, I should add that I can't help in your quest I'm afraid! I wish I could! I read about your search with great interest as I am researching my husband's family who stayed at Raglan Street in the early 1900s. My husband's great grandfather, William Moloney, was married in Ireland in 1892 and came over to Scotland thereafter and eventually settled in Raglan Street around 1900 and some of the family members were there until around 1950. My husband's grandfather, born in 1900, also William Moloney, fought in WW1 (apparently he joined up at age 16!) and he was one of the lucky ones to come home alive.

I am really just contacting you to see if you have made any progress? It would be a lovely ending to your story if the memorial turned up somewhere. If it does, please post a message and let me know where it is, so that I can view it!!

Good luck and best wishes

Evelyn

--------------------
life is waaaay toooooo short!!! don't put it off!!

+Quote Post
kmacc
post 1st Mar 2007, 04:09am
Post #20

Resident
Member No.: 185
Hi Evelyn,
I have a birth certificate of a William Moloney born in Lyon St
in1892 do you think there would be a connection?
KMacc

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 1st Mar 2007, 07:52pm
Post #21

Super Resident
Hi weemags

Thanks for the info I will look at it after this - still looking for the memorial - it's out there somewhere

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 1st Mar 2007, 08:06pm
Post #22

Super Resident
Hi Evelyn
Thanks for your post I am still looking for the memorial - The lady Liz who works at St Josephs Primary was the first one to start my interest in it - she had approached my Adjutant of my regiment at the time and he passed her onto me and that's how I got involved.

She has been everywhere trying to track it down and last year with some help from a few of her friends she got a plaque to honour those MEN OF LYON STREET made up and it is held in the school - a smaller verion of it is on display in the library at Woodside library it is on the wall at the history section - the reason for the one in the library is that the school could not allow people to go and see the one in the school due to the fact of it being a school it was a lovely gesture and they had an open day when they unveiled it with lots of the locals attending - Liz's hope was that it would reveal an interest in the original plaque

I see that a member posted the fact that he had a birth certificate with the same name as your relative I hope it turns out to be that and it helps in your own search

Keep in touch and I'll keep you abreast with our search

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 1st Mar 2007, 08:08pm
Post #23

Super Resident
Hi Evelyn
Thanks for your post I am still looking for the memorial - The lady Liz who works at St Josephs Primary was the first one to start my interest in it - she had approached my Adjutant of my regiment at the time and he passed her onto me and that's how I got involved.

She has been everywhere trying to track it down and last year with some help from a few of her friends she got a plaque to honour those MEN OF LYON STREET made up and it is held in the school - a smaller verion of it is on display in the library at Woodside library it is on the wall at the history section - the reason for the one in the library is that the school could not allow people to go and see the one in the school due to the fact of it being a school it was a lovely gesture and they had an open day when they unveiled it with lots of the locals attending - Liz's hope was that it would reveal an interest in the original plaque

I see that a member posted the fact that he had a birth certificate with the same name as your relative I hope it turns out to be that and it helps in your own search

Keep in touch and I#ll keep you abreast with our search

Raymond Bell

+Quote Post
flam
post 4th Mar 2007, 02:46pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Raymond Bell I dont know if it is of any significance but the Brewery that I remember was Whitbreads which was only a couple of hundred yards away from Lyon St, on Garscube Road and it backed onto the Forth and Clyde Canal ,I do hope you are succeesful in your quest Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
*Guest Raymond Bell **
post 6th Mar 2007, 05:52pm
Post #25

Hi Flam
Thanks for that I'll look into it and see if anything comes from it - THANKS

Raymond Bell - Dinger

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 1st Jun 2007, 09:51pm
Post #26

Super Resident
Still searching - lots of people have looked at this subject and hopefully someone will be able to give that one piece of info to help St Josephs School find it

Raymond Bell (Dinger)

+Quote Post
Raymond Bell
post 6th Jul 2007, 10:11pm
Post #27

Super Resident
Attached Image

We are still looking for the missing Roll of Honour to the men of Lyon Street we have attached a newspaper clipping from 1962 showing a Mr James Mulvenny with the plaque - It is not a clear picture There appears to be a series of flags at the top and on enlarging the picture the 15 small circles appear to be photographs but unsure of this - can anyone out there shed any light or have any new information about it

Raymond Bell

EMail: dinger105@hotmail.com

+Quote Post
*Dexter Gebbie*
post 13th Aug 2007, 07:08pm
Post #28

Hello Raymond,
My mother and her family were brought up in Lyon Street. Her maiden name was Rice and her mother's (my grandmother) was Ward. Both families Lived In Lyon Street around WW.! period; John Rice at number 32 and Francis Ward at number 45.
I was brought up in the Cowcaddens during the late 1950's and early 1960's. I am proud of these "Men from Lyon Street" and I feel that they should have their bravery and sacrifice acknowledged formerly by the city. To that end I have contacted the MSP ,Patricia Ferguson for the Maryhill district, (boundary changes now place Cowcaddens within Maryhill!!) in order to have a replacement memorial made with the names of the fallen inscribed. I believe this should be accompanied by some ceremony. It may be necessary for me to invite the press to highlight the issues involved; this would help you also in your search for the missing plaques.
Please contact me and perhaps we can work together.

sincerely
Dex

+Quote Post
*Dexter Gebbie*
post 17th Aug 2007, 05:49pm
Post #29

Hi Raymond,

My grandparents were and mother was brought up in Lyon Street. they lived in 32 and 45 Lyon street. I have contacted the local MSP with a view to having a replacement plaque made and some ceremony to acknowledge the sacrifice of these "Men from Lyon Street". I,d like to hear from you Raymond to see if we can work together on this matter.
Dex

+Quote Post
*Dexter Gebbie*
post 17th Aug 2007, 06:37pm
Post #30

Hi Raymond,
Just a wee note to say that I meant to say that Lyon Street is now a part of the Maryhill district not Cowcaddens
Dex

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.