Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Donald Trump, Local Hero he is not
ashfield
post 27th Apr 2012, 06:50pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 27th Apr 2012, 12:03pm) *
I think when alls said and done we should applaud Donald Trump and his Organisation for putting their faith and finance into Scotland.This venture is long term and will be providing jobs,opportunity and wealth for a good number of people in the north east and will also be pumping money into the local economy.
Is that not what the country need at the moment?
rolleyes.gif Arise Sir Donald..?

I would be interested to know what financial benefits you think his golf course will bring the people living around the area, assumng you base this on something more than pure guess work.

As for crowning him, I would happily assume that task although I think someone has beaten me to that with a hedgehog ohmy.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 27th Apr 2012, 07:11pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Ashfield by coincidence I was at Gleneagles last Saturday.Not exactly the same as Trumps new development but if you use it as a comparison you will see hotel staff,gardeners,greenkeepers,caddies,maintenence electricians,plumbers etc all contributing to make the place tick over.In addition there is the myriad of suppliers who keep the place going in food drink and all the ancillery services that are required.
One of the staff at the golf equipment room told me that the majority of staff came from the immediate area making it one of the biggest employers.
I think the Trump development will be similar.Jobs for locals=created wealth being ploughed into the economy.Hardly guesswork..simple economics,Ashfield.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 27th Apr 2012, 07:35pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Ok ok, don't shout, I only asked tongue.gif

I see what you're saying but I don't think there is any comparison, folk will go to the Gleneagles Hotel without ever having an interest in golf. Of course (sorry) there will be new employment but I doubt the long term enrichment of the area, what I don't doubt is the short term enrichment of Donald Trump. He is not doing this as a favour to Scotland, he is not doing it because of his alleged Scottish ancestry, he is doing it for number one. He remains, in my view, a chanty wrassler, a rich one, but nevertheless a chanty wrassler.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 27th Apr 2012, 07:56pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Ashfield I never raise my voice.I was merely trying to draw a comparison.Of course Trump isnt doing this for no return,he isnt running a charity.He sees a business opportunity and is taking the risk.I would put money on this being a first class development and a success.He is obviously got his eye on big money North Sea oil/gas workers and the big tournaments.Aye he`s a chanty wrassler all right.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 14th Jun 2012, 06:55pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
I would agree that the Trump development will probably bring more money into the area and that can only be a good thing not only for Aberdeen but Scotland as a whole but i wonder if he would still have continued if had had only been allowed to build the golf course without all the housing and hotel developments. I might be wrong but i believe it was the "other" developments that caused much of the controversy

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 17th May 2013, 01:18pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
As this clown lauches a legal challenge against the Scottish Government

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-nort...etland-22540249

Lord Sugar has become my new hero yes.gif (starts about a minute in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57z0wn3H4LQ

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 17th May 2013, 02:17pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Donald Trump seems to think he had a deal with Alec Salmond , which they shook hands on..

Who do you believe ?.

Trump or Salmond. ?

I go with Trump !!

His project would give the area a much needed cash injection and give employment to a lot of unemployed people.

I think that at sometime in the Future the Windmills will be found to be white elephants.

However why could they not be implemented a few miles round the coast. It's a big coastline.

Out of sight out of mind ?

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 18th May 2013, 09:22am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Dylan @ 17th May 2013, 02:34pm) *
Donald Trump seems to think he had a deal with Alec Salmond , which they shook hands on..

Who do you believe ?.

Trump or Salmond. ?

I go with Trump !!

I think that at sometime in the Future the Windmills will be found to be white elephants.

However why could they not be implemented a few miles round the coast. It's a big coastline.

I go with Salmond.

I don't think major companies would be pumping £millions into a white elephant.

I would also like to know why they couldn't be positioned further along the coast, but from what i've read they will be barely visible from his golf course, unlike the numerous super oil tankers that lie in anchor waiting to enter Aberdeen harbour.

Funny how he doesn't have a problem with them.

+Quote Post
*Lobbeydosser*
post 22nd May 2013, 03:24am
Post #39

"What doth it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own hair."

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 22nd May 2013, 10:54am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (Lobbeydosser @ 22nd May 2013, 03:32am) *
"What doth it profit a man if he gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own hair."

Maybe he walked too close to a wind farm and it blew his hair over to the one side laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 15th May 2014, 05:05pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Well, the balloon with the weetabix haircut lost his legal challenge to the Scottish governments proposal to support a windfarm in the sea off the coast near his golf course. He reacted with his usual "dignity" by saying he would not go ahead with a proposed new course in the area, threatening to appeal the decision and saying that the world was laughing at Scotland because of it's perusal of green energy policies, before leaving in a huff.

This week he has returned and bought Turnberry golf course. Now, I really believe the world may well be laughing at us huh.gif

Will we never be shot of this clown.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 16th May 2014, 01:28am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (ashfield @ 15th May 2014, 10:22am) *
Well, the balloon with the weetabix haircut lost his legal challenge to the Scottish governments proposal to support a windfarm in the sea off the coast near his golf course. He reacted with his usual "dignity" by saying he would not go ahead with a proposed new course in the area, threatening to appeal the decision and saying that the world was laughing at Scotland because of it's perusal of green energy policies, before leaving in a huff.

This week he has returned and bought Turnberry golf course. Now, I really believe the world may well be laughing at us huh.gif

Will we never be shot of this clown.

Does it really matter,after all he bought it from the Arabs....who I think bought it from the Japanese.....he said he won't change it...just tweak it!....lol

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 16th May 2014, 05:45am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Once again I applaud Trump for his decision to take over Turnberry.There will be changes no doubt but as someone with a global hospitality business he knows when he is on a winner.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 16th May 2014, 01:02pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Turnberry is my favourite place to go, and I go there frequently, as it is right on my doorstep. The Victorians knew how to build Railway Stations with Hotels, as did the Edwardians, and this one is without doubt, one of the most beautiful and graceful in Scoitland.

I have no qualms whatsoever with Donald Trump owning it. It was always beautiful, and so it was when the Japanese owned it. In the past 2 years it has undergone some beautiful renovation.

It has an ambiance all of its own, and I thank goodness that those who can best afford to own and run it, are going to be in charge. It employs a lot of local people, as it has always done.

A great treat, is dining there, but also a visit to The Grand Tea Lounge, where at a price, you can enjoy a bonnie wee afternoon tea - as it used to be served in Victorian times, where you can have little dainty sandwiches, cake and pastries, we don't get in many places these days. Or a wee sip at the Ailsa Bar, which serves excellent food, and perhaps (like me) a wee glass of Champagne - oh aye, I could do that right now if I didn't have the builders in.

"Where could they find such a glorious combination of picturesque grandeur by land and sea? Every mile, there was some hallowed spot, immortalised by the heroism of Bruce or the genius of Burns." - Station Hotel dedication speech, Turnberry, 17 May 1906.

I often think of Trump as brash and OTT with his own buildings, but I do not think he will spoil Turnberry. There would be a public outcry locally if he did.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 16th May 2014, 01:15pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Carmella,

As a former employee (1962-74) of British Transport Hotels, I worked at 13 hotels in the group, including Turnberry on 2 short postings. Your reference to railway station hotels seemed to jar a tad, as Maybole and Girvan were the closest stations. On investigation, however, I turned up this information, of which I was completely ignorant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnberry_railway_station

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post

24 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.