Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 120m Gorbals Regeneration Plan, Ambitious Plan Approved
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
penny dainty
post 16th Mar 2007, 01:30am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Looking at the photo of the woman with the child from The Gorbals, can't agree she is the picture of abject misery, she actually has a very serene look on her face.Her eyes are weary perhaps , but she has an enigmatic little smile which might suggests she is at terms with her way of life .She may be sitting in squallor, but is that how it was in those days?Did she know anything else?
I remember going into town on the bus which skirted past the Gorbals and I remember seeing the old temements like the one which is still standing in the other photograph, is has such presence, such a pity they had to be knocked down.
Havent been back to Glasgow for 12 years, now living in Australia.One day I will get back for a look round my old stamping grounds around Old Cathcart.

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Catarina
post 16th Mar 2007, 02:15am
Post #32

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,071
Difficult to believe this squalor existed in 1949.
To think perhaps a few streets whichever way from our house misery like this existed. I have a difficult time getting my head around this...Gosh,I would be 12 in 1949. The Tradeston district was badly bombed. Ruins everywhere for months on end,but I never did witness children in the filthy state of these kids.

Why were they being evicted I wonder. Probably couldn't pay the rent..11kids, how very sad. Seems I had a priviledged childhood in some ways after all.

+Quote Post
*bampot10*
post 21st Mar 2007, 09:08pm
Post #33

I have just enjoyed the exchange of information on the Gorbals past.
I lived there for 19years before moving to the "illustrious" Castlemilk Housing Estate...
I lived in Buchan Street opposite Gorbals School and, whilst agreeing that the terrible poverty was a part of life there, we also had the wonderful benefit of neighbours who cared.
"Is ye"re Mammy OK hen? would be the question if a neighbour missed seeing your Mother for a couple of days.....tell me...where would you find this concern now? In our modern society, caring interest is now regarded as being nosy resulting in the fact that you could die in your home and lie there without a neighbour bothering to question your whereabouts.
We have moved on and up gaining on some roundabouts and losing on some swings...I would not exchange the days of my life in the Gorbals in a wee room and kitchen for anything.

+Quote Post
*robert mc williams*
post 7th Apr 2007, 10:34am
Post #34

QUOTE (glenafton @ 18th Feb 2007, 01:52 PM) *
Yes. I can remember the filth, squallor, degredation, poverty, drunkenness, crime and abuse that went with the Gorbals. As to why the "City Fathers" were never jailed for allowing humans to live in such conditions is a cause for question.

In all honesty I cannot imagine as to why anyone would want to perpetuate such inhuman horrors as was inflicted on those poor peoples. For make no mistakes. The Gorbals were a blight on society and the unfortunates who were forced by circumstances way beyond their control had little or no say about how they had to live. But to remove those unfortunates from the vermin ridden slums and stick them into tall boxes without character was just as evil as leaving the Gorbals standing. I cannot help but ask the question would the corporation have moved it's lethargic body to help alleviate the misery of the people from the Gorbals had not the world found out about Glasgows shame

I was brought up in the gorbals in the late 50/and 60/ Iremember the gang culture and the violence it was a hard place to live in but they was A lot of good people in it a well such as Rev. G. shaw and Mr.W.fyve who cared for the community they kept A lot of people out of trouble, I was one of them.

+Quote Post
*Pube face*
post 4th Feb 2010, 05:07pm
Post #35

I disagree with all of you, Gorbals looks great now, the tennant housing was poor indeed.

+Quote Post
Niklas
post 11th Jan 2013, 05:16am
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,359
QUOTE (jaybee @ 19th Feb 2007, 02:44pm) *
No, thank you Java. I am afraid at times we Gorbalites get our backs up with statements like Glenafton made, yes there was poverty but I would think that this poverty was all over Glasgow at the time. I really do not know how our parents survived what with sirens going off during the night, having to lift children out of their sleep and run to to nearest shelter and often times not getting in. With rationing. A quarter pound of mince would have to feed at least four people. Can you imagine a man coming home from work and having to share a quarter pound of mince with three others these days? I was also very familiar with Govan. My first job was on Helen Street in Govan. Jaybee

I lived in he Gorbals Nicholson Street it was a great community our family did not have much no inside toilet but our home myself and our my 3 Brothers where kep clean.

I cant agree that the poverty that existed was all over Glasgow though yes in the poorer working class areas but certainly not all over Glasgow,many homes where slums of the worst kind and where not fit for human habitation and at the time where a disgrace to the landlords or perhaps slumlords would be a better term The Council being the worst of all.

The advance of the modern media embarrased the city into action.

I have fond memories of my childhood in the Gorbals but I also dont look at that time through Rose coloured glasses either we had to pay rent for homes that where never maintained by the slumlords and where a disgrace to our city at the time.
However the ordinary everday folks who lived their where the best and truly supported and cared for each other.

+Quote Post
Niklas
post 11th Jan 2013, 05:18am
Post #37

Unpacking
QUOTE (robert mc williams @ 7th Apr 2007, 11:51am) *
I was brought up in the gorbals in the late 50/and 60/ Iremember the gang culture and the violence it was a hard place to live in but they was A lot of good people in it a well such as Rev. G. shaw and Mr.W.fyve who cared for the community they kept A lot of people out of trouble, I was one of them.

A lot of what you say is so true the folks where great but they shoulsd never have had to endure the slums they where forced to live in.

+Quote Post
Niklas
post 11th Jan 2013, 05:26am
Post #38

Unpacking
QUOTE (penny dainty @ 16th Mar 2007, 02:47am) *
Looking at the photo of the woman with the child from The Gorbals, can't agree she is the picture of abject misery, she actually has a very serene look on her face.Her eyes are weary perhaps , but she has an enigmatic little smile which might suggests she is at terms with her way of life .She may be sitting in squallor, but is that how it was in those days?Did she know anything else?
I remember going into town on the bus which skirted past the Gorbals and I remember seeing the old temements like the one which is still standing in the other photograph, is has such presence, such a pity they had to be knocked down.
Havent been back to Glasgow for 12 years, now living in Australia.One day I will get back for a look round my old stamping grounds around Old Cathcart.

The look in this womance face is not serenity nor do I believe anyone living in such squalor could by any stretch of the imagination come to terms with such a way of life nor is it a pity these slums where knocked down they should have been demolished decades before they where.

And unfortunately like many she probably did not know any other kind of life and our City Fathers should have hung their heads in shame for allowing such degradation of fellow human beings.

+Quote Post
Niklas
post 11th Jan 2013, 05:36am
Post #39

Unpacking
QUOTE (Niklas @ 11th Jan 2013, 06:33am) *
I lived in he Gorbals Nicholson Street it was a great community our family did not have much no inside toilet but our home myself and our my 3 Brothers where kep clean.

I cant agree that the poverty that existed was all over Glasgow though yes in the poorer working class areas but certainly not all over Glasgow,many homes where slums of the worst kind and where not fit for human habitation and at the time where a disgrace to the landlords or perhaps slumlords would be a better term The Council being the worst of all.

The advance of the modern media embarrased the city into action.

I have fond memories of my childhood in the Gorbals but I also dont look at that time through Rose coloured glasses either we had to pay rent for homes that where never maintained by the slumlords and where a disgrace to our city at the time.
However the ordinary everday folks who lived their where the best and truly supported and cared for each other.

The statements that Glenafton madeara as valid as any posted I agree with every word it was the Gorbals folk that where great people however their slums where far from great or the ill health and misery they caused to the good folks of the Gorbals it was shameful that folks had to live in such squalor whilst some lived in decadent luxury living of the backs of hard working folks.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 11th Jan 2013, 10:06am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I think the picure of the woman sitting with the baby is a set up and she is probably a model posing for the picture.

The house and the woman are filthy and the baby has no clothes on, yet her clothes are in good condition, dirty but not torn. I also think the baby is a doll, not a real live baby.

What kind of young woman would live in such filth and not wash herself or clean out the ashes in the fireplace.

My mum had a saying, " you can be poor but clean, soap is cheap ".

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 11th Jan 2013, 08:49pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
There's definitely not something quite right about that picture wi the 'doll' inrespect of 1) it may have been taken anywhere 2) it could have been a complete fabrication

Photos of those times were/are extremely rare - and only very few picture takers made studies of the type of squalor and depravity that existed back then. A handful, in fact.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Jan 2013, 08:09am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Lest we forget just how bad living conditions were for the poor. Some of these images are within living memory and it remains dangerous to forget just how bad things can get for human beings.

http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/Mar2006.html

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 12th Jan 2013, 09:08am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Thomas was one of the handful I was referring to, Melody, thank you.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
stratson
post 12th Jan 2013, 05:04pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (Melody @ 12th Jan 2013, 09:26am) *
Lest we forget just how bad living conditions were for the poor. Some of these images are within living memory and it remains dangerous to forget just how bad things can get for human beings.

http://special.lib.gla.ac.uk/exhibns/month/Mar2006.html

I remember all of it very well. Was fortunate enough to be born in house built 6 years before my birth in 1933.

, After 2 years of marriage got a single end(Yes. key money) in the Gorbals.
Lived there almost 9 years, I loved the Gorbals, great neighbours, just like a family, loved them.
My daughter was born there in 1954.Have to be honest, was happy when I got a new house with all amenities. Loved the house but hated living in a housing scheme. Was not for me..
Was then we started buying our own house. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 12th Jan 2013, 07:31pm
Post #45

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Is this mega project still going on or is it finished. If finished how does it look?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.