Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hospital Parking Charges Introduced, Introduced across the city
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 8th Feb 2007, 10:12pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Car parking charges at Glasgow hospitals are to be introduced later this year. From April all visitors and staff will be subject to charges ranging from £1 to £12, depending on how long their cars are parked.

The highly controversial charges will be introduced at the following facilities from April this year:

- Western Infirmary
- Gartnavel General
- The Royal Hospital for Sick Children
- The Queen Mother's Hospital at Yorkhill
- The Victoria Infirmary

Charges will also be implemented at the health board's HQ at Charing Cross in the city centre.

According to the body responsible for the management of the facilities, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, the charges are designed to make sure that most patients and visitors will pay a maximum of £1 per visit. According to the body a £1 tariff for the first two hours will be applicable to the vast majority of visitors. Thereafter the tariff increases by £1 for every hour up to seven hours, after which the maximum rate of £12 is applied.

Campaigners have highlighted that those visitors who are unfortunate enough to be visiting very ill patients will be worst hit and may be subject to the full £12 charge.

Margaret Hinds, chairwoman of the Health Service Forum South East, said:
"This is an utterly disgraceful decision. Public transport to the hospitals is absolutely appalling. An ordinary person on a low wage will struggle to find the money for this. If you are visiting a loved one, you should be able to give them your full attention, and not have to constantly watch the clock."
The parking charges will be the same across all NHS-operated car parks, with the exception of the new city centre car park at Glasgow Royal Infirmary, which is operated run by a private company.

Sandra White MSP said:
"People already pay for the NHS services, and parking charges will penalise the poorest people in society."

Anniesland MSP Bill Butler, who has Gartnavel in his constituency, said:
"Charging people for visiting hospital is part of a worrying trend. When people are visiting relatives or friends they should not be charged for what is an absolutely necessary journey."
In defence, Alex McIntyre, director of facilities for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, said:
"Parking charges are being introduced in response to growing and often severe congestion in our hospital car parks, as well as planning and other obligations. In part this congestion is caused by shoppers, commuters and others using our hospitals to park for long periods in the day for free."

Rate this story now...

See also this related news story:

Parking Meters Infuriate Staff

Photo shows Stobhill Hospital, which for the moment, is escaping the charges.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Feb 2007, 10:18pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Official Press Release from NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde:
Thursday, February 8, 2007

CAR PARKING CHARGES INTRODUCED TO CREATE BETTER ACCESS FOR PATIENTS AND VISITORS

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde has today confirmed its car parking charges to be applied on a phased basis across its main hospitals.

The charges have been designed to ensure the vast majority of patients and visitors will pay no more than £1.00 per visit.

The not-for-profit parking scheme will deliver vastly improved disabled access and safer parking areas.

From the start of April, the policy - which will see the introduction of fair and equitable car parking charges across Glasgow and Clyde hospitals and Health Board headquarters – will come into force across five sites. 

The charges will first be introduced at the Western Infirmary, Gartnavel General Hospital, the Royal Hospital for Sick Children and the Queen Mother’s Hospital at Yorkhill, the Victoria Infirmary and Health Board headquarters. 

The other main hospital sites will follow in due course.

Alex McIntyre, Director of Facilities, said: “Parking charges are being introduced in response to growing and often severe congestion in our hospital car parks, as well as planning and other obligations.

“In part this congestion is caused by shoppers, commuters and others using our hospitals to park for long periods in the day for free.  We want to make sure that patients and visitors - the people who actually use our services - have a far better chance of getting a parking space. The parking tariff has been designed specifically to cater for our many thousands of outpatients and visitors – almost all of whom require to park between one and three hours.” 

The charging levels, which will be the same in all NHS-operated car parks (the multi-storey city centre car park at Glasgow Royal Infirmary run by a private company operates a different tariff), will see the average patient or visitor paying £1.00 per visit.  The tariff is £1.00 for the first two hours, which would cover the vast majority of hospital outpatient appointments and visits. Thereafter the tariff increases by a pound for every hour up to seven hours, after which the maximum rate of £12.00 is applied.

Special concessions will be made for parents and guardians of children undergoing extended treatment. Disabled drivers will park free and people on low incomes will be able to reclaim the cost of parking.

In addition hospital managers will be able to use their discretion to waive fees in exceptional circumstances, such as service led delays on scheduled appointments.

The policy – which is being implemented following lengthy public consultation and debate in 2005 – sees staff and patient and visitor car parks separated for the first time, with the balance of spaces provided in favour of patients and visitors.

The move has had strong support from disabled support groups.

Mr John R. Thompson from the Murray Foundation supports the action taken to make parking in hospital for those with disabilities hassle free.

Mr Thompson said: “I have been campaigning on various Health Board Committees on behalf of the disabled community for better access and parking facilities in and around hospitals. Having been an amputee myself for 50 years and working with the Murray Foundation amputee support group for the past 10 years, I have personally experienced the abuse and misuse of our disabled spaces.

“I am delighted to hear that the new policy will increase the amount of disabled bays closest to the entrances but more importantly that they will be "policed" at all times.

“On behalf of the Murray Foundation and all the disabled community, thank you for these much needed improvements.”

Alex McIntyre added: “The new policy is not-for-profit.  Every penny of the money generated from charges will be ploughed back into improved safety, lighting and providing more spaces dedicated to the people who need them most.”

Ends

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratson
post 9th Feb 2007, 07:50am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Just another ploy to syphon money from the already heavy penalised driver. wub.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 9th Feb 2007, 06:04pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
"CAR PARKING CHARGES INTRODUCED TO CREATE BETTER ACCESS FOR PATIENTS AND VISITORS"

Does this mean that they will have a Valet service at the Hospitals for people visiting their sick relatives???.
We all know that this is just another scam to get money out of the general public,From visiting Glasgow last year i was told that the Victoria Hospital was being torn down,and a new facility was being erected across the street from it's present location.

Over here at the Hospital close to me it costs a maximum of $13 for a 24hr time limit,or about 6 pounds 50p for the 24hrs.
But that's only if you leave the car in the lot, if you have to take the car out the charge starts from new.
Having to deal with the fact that someone you love is in hospital or may be dying there,the last thing you need is a big charge waiting for you.
And when my Mum was in hospital i would go 7 days a week to see her,thankfully i have great friends who drove me into town and home twice a day for 3 and a half months.
if i had my car at that time the cost would have been close to $1,000 plus the price of Petrol.
Shame on them for adding more stress to peoples lives. mad.gif

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 9th Feb 2007, 08:29pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
When my wife was in palliative care, I bought a monthly pass for parking, it worked out cheaper. Right now the all day parking here costs $6.50.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 9th Feb 2007, 09:30pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
They've been charging for parking at all the hospitals here for years. I think it's terrible charging the sick, the hospital trust make the excuse that it's to stop people from parking their car there all day who are not on hospital business. My husband and I recently met my daughter and her husband at their local hospital, we were left waiting for a doctor to arrive from A&E to see her and were there for 5 hours in all which cost us £4 for each for the 2 cars. My daughter and son-in-law had to pay again when she went in for the day the following week for her op. The local hospitals are usually free after visiting finishes at 8pm but last week we were driving past St. Thomas' Hospital in the centre of London and there was a notice up saying that it was a 24 hour charging car park and if you lost your ticket you would be charged at the full rate of £96 i.e. £4 per hour!!!!?????

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 9th Feb 2007, 09:41pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Sorry for adding my tuppance worth here,as I don't live in the UK , but I think it is discusting that you , have to pay to park when you go to the hospital.
People are already stressed to the max just going to the hopsital in the first place be it for your self or, to visit someone, it does not matter.
If the goverment cut back on some other thing, surley parking places could be provided?
I just read that the hospital near my brother, is going to be charging 10 pounds to park , with a five hour limit , that starts on Monday the 12th.
This is horrible, and I truly feel for anyone that has to attend the hospital for any reason.
I'll get off my box now.

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 9th Feb 2007, 09:59pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
like lennox I dont live in Glasgow but the hospital here charges you $3.00 a visit no matter how long but its not fair if you only stopped in to see some one and you get charged that amount ,when I was in the hospital in Dec because of the floor I was in parking was free,you just had to tell the security guard and he would give you a pass

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 11th Feb 2007, 05:19am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
mad.gif Diabolical this is a horror story Iam disgusted at the governing folk who made this decision,obviously they are profiteering from the sick & their familys it`s an outrage!!!!!!!!!
when I was home to visit my dying father last year 2 of my brothers & I shared 1 car & the one other brother drove a few of the grandchildren too & fro. The thing is I spent my first 12hrs in the country straight from the airport along with these 2 brothers we went home had showers & slept 2 hrs then back to spend around 50hrs of further visiting the hospital over 3 days, eating only crisps & some bottles of water when there as they didn`t even offer tea even.

after a couple of days we`d spent the longest stretch cos we thought dad was leaving us that night yet by 5am we realised he seems comfy so we best catch a couple of hrs kip & wash etc. we got showers & had been asleep for 2hours when It was 7.30am The ward charge nurse said Dad may die before we reached the hospital to hurry up if we wanted to be with him,end result was that call came after we`d spent 50 or more hrs over 3 days , we`d been home only a couple of hours to wash & sleep then back we went to be at dads side for a further 18hrs before he peacefully died in the arms of us 3 sibblings.

Now thats around 70hrs or more just from 1 car & there were various other family friends & relatives showing up throughout the day my God they will make a killing in profit from any dying patient wont they? Iam appalled what about the lower incomed familys they speak of reimbursment but what if theres no cash up front to begin with! Oh how sad to worry about carpark payments mouting when we barely even thought to eat ourselves cos Dad was afraid & wanted us near etc.

1 car of 4 people there a whole day awaiting a loved one leaving this earth? & theres no cash to pay up front cos theyve all chipped in already for the drivers petrol? my gawd it would be cheaper to get taxis there n back if this be the case. How wreckless & inconsiderate of the Hospitals etc as far as Iam concerned I do not believe nor trust their so called reasonings Iam gutted for the Glaswegians after reading this thank god we didn`t have to pay all that when I was home for dad,my plane ticket cost enough.
mad.gif Oh Shame On You Glasgow Officials /Hospitals for robbing the sick who may get less visitors because of your rackateering! attitude of daylight robbery& profiteering from the poor n the sick!!!!!!! Thats the sad part the sick will go long periods of time without a visitor because of this greed! How Sad for the City overall!

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Feb 2007, 07:05pm
Post #10

Administrator
Group Icon
I couldn't agree more lindamac.

Further, given that medical report after medical report shows that poorer people are more likely to suffer from conditions needing hospital care, such as heart disease and circulatory problems, these charges amount to an overbearing tax on being poor. Even more despicable is the fact that at some hospitals - and probably all soon - e.g. Royal Infirmary, the car parks are run by private firms where the charges end up as share dividends for rich investors.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
williama2468
post 22nd Feb 2007, 10:07pm
Post #11

Settling In
Member No.: 4,308
regarding hospital parking charges the country that most of us have worked in all our lives has embraced a way of living that has become so greedy grasping selfish to the extreme that nothing should suprise anyone anymore there was a film made years ago called im allright jack the policy that this country has adopted sad part is nobody seems to notice anymore we have become acustemed to greed is good

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 4th Mar 2007, 03:20am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
We used to park in our local hospital for free ,then a couple of years ago the dreaded meters were installed. It started at $1.00 not I believe it $5.00. Thats pretty good some of the larger hospitals in the city are really expensive.We have a nursing home right inside the hospital grounds and my friend who used to go almost every other day, to pop in for a half hour to see an elderly neighbour, no longer goes.As she says its not right that I have to pay ,just to pop in on a very dear old neighbour. I wish they didn't have to pay parking ,It's just not right.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
marydee
post 4th Mar 2007, 09:57am
Post #13

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
Perhaps parking charges in hospital car parks are the only way to deter all day parkers who dump their cars at eight in the morning to return at six at night being neither visitor or worker within a hospital. This is a problem at Glasgow's Western Infirmary with its' close proximity to the University and the shops in Byres and Dumbarton Roads. While it may be harsh to have to pay, if you are a visitor or have an out-patient appointment, it is better than not being able to get a place to park at all. My husband has respitory and mobility problems has to leave an hour early to allow time for him to park some distance away and then walk to attend clinics at the Western and Gartnavel Hospitals. Being able to park free, near your place of employment is no longer a right as the number of cars on Britain's grows every year and when you park all day you are usually encroaching on someone else's space or life. I live in a purely residential street, quite near Glasgow's city centre and I live in a car park. Commuters arrive from six a.m. and leave their cars all day they abuse disabled bays, park on the pavements and if two arrive together that know each other they double park knowing that one will be there to let the other out. If you move your car during the day you know that getting parked in your own street will be unlikely on your return as a shopper, popping into Sauchiehall Street for a couple of hours, will be occupying your space. The people who are lucky enough to live where parking controls have recently been introduced are delighted and are happy to pay £50 per annum for resident's parking.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 6th Mar 2007, 02:50am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Mary dee I agree with most of what you are saying,However I do feel that the cost is just way too high. As I said we have a nursing home attached to our hospital and many of the elderly get the same family member every day . Ok they can buy monthly passes but it's not cheap.Its just not fair. Also when one of my daughters was in university and she had to go out on her last year for four months in hospital training, I not only paid her university tuition for that period we also had to pay her parking expenses at the hospital. Disgusting if you ask me. AND WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE SHORT OF NURSES. In my opinion just another case of money grabbing.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
*yvie*
post 6th Mar 2007, 03:50pm
Post #15

You are very lucky to just be having charges levied now. My local hospital (which has no roads near you can park on) charges £1.70 for 3 hours. It also charges most of its nurses to park too as it has a 'green policy' !! St. Thomas' in London as has been mentioned before almost bankrupted us in car park charges when we went to visit (there is also the London congestion charge to pay as well). Good Luck Glasgow, you are going to need it!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.