Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow 1974 By Hugh Hood, Emotional, evocative ... brilliant
GG
post 15th Jan 2016, 12:38am
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A multimedia film made from photographs taken by Hugh Hood in 1974 showing the changes in the city of Glasgow.

I was mostly too young to remember the places – except the Red Road flats – but this is quite simply an astonishing piece of work showing Glasgow on the brink of the consequences of politically-directed communal destruction.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 20th Jan 2016, 12:40am
Post #2

QUOTE (GG @ 15th Jan 2016, 12:46am) *
A multimedia film made from photographs taken by Hugh Hood in 1974 showing the changes in the city of Glasgow.

I was mostly too young to remember the places – except the Red Road flats – but this is quite simply an astonishing piece of work showing Glasgow on the brink of the consequences of politically-directed communal destruction.

GG.

Obviously you were raised nowhere near those insidious working class "prison slums".

No hot water, no toilets, slum land lords who would not fix a tap washer. 5 kids to a room. 8 bodies to a single end".

To wax nostalgic about "the worst slums in Europe" is a complete insult to those forced up in what was an eternal disgrace to the great British Empire.

+Quote Post
angel
post 20th Jan 2016, 01:13am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (Tally Rand @ 20th Jan 2016, 12:48am) *
Obviously you were raised nowhere near those insidious working class "prison slums".

No hot water, no toilets, slum land lords who would not fix a tap washer. 5 kids to a room. 8 bodies to a single end".

To wax nostalgic about "the worst slums in Europe" is a complete insult to those forced up in what was an eternal disgrace to the great British Empire.

Yes it was , in actual fact it was criminal . Talk about crimes against mankind .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st Jan 2016, 12:49am
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Tally Rand @ 20th Jan 2016, 12:48am) *

Does Maryhill count?

Pedantics aside, I completely agree with where you are coming from, Tally. I wasn't in any way " wax[ing] nostalgic about "the worst slums in Europe"; rather, I was highlighting the fact that one era of slum housing was being obliterated in order to make way for the next era of slum housing. An example: Springburn tenements for the Red Road flats. The ultimate goal of the (brown-envelope-receiving) Labour politicians was not to build strong, sustainable, vibrant, productive and progressive communities, rather it was their intention to destroy the community spirit and cohesion that threatened Labour's gravy train. The sad fact is that these greedy, self-serving clowns were successful up until the Westminster elections of last year.

And I still shed a tear for my friends and family who lived in both the Springburn and the Red Road slums.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.