Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holyrood 90210: Glasgow Reality Tv, High school fly-on-the-wall documentary
GG
post 18th Nov 2011, 08:47am
Post #46

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (tamhickey @ 18th Nov 2011, 04:49am) *
... There was an agenda at work here and instead of a BAFTA, they ought to have been told never to make such a series again. ...

Tam, I recently read a book called 'Chavs', in which the author (sucessfully, in my opinion) argued that there was widescale agenda across all sections of 'privileged' society to promote the demonisation and marginalistion of the working classes. It's well worth a read as it's an excellent book, which can help people understand and (to an extent) come to terms with what has happened in working-class communities across Britain over the last 30 years. IMO, should be a compulsory text in schools like Holyrood.

About the book on Amazon:
Review
The stereotyping and hatred of the working class in Britain, documented so clearly by Owen Jones in this important book, should cause all to flinch. Reflecting our high levels of inequality, the stigmatization of the working class is a serious barrier to social justice and progressive change. -- Kate Pickett and Richard Wilkinson, authors of The Spirit Level

It is a timely book. The white working class seems to be the one group in society that it is still acceptable to sneer at, ridicule, even incite hatred against. ... Forensically, over 304 pages, Jones seeks to explain how, thanks to politics, the working class has shifted from being regarded as 'the salt of the earth to the scum of the earth'. -- Carol Midgley, Times

Superb and angry. -- Polly Toynbee - Guardian

Product Description
In modern Britain, the working class has become an object of fear and ridicule. From Little Britains Vicky Pollard to the demonization of Jade Goody, media and politicians alike dismiss as feckless, criminalized and ignorant a vast, underprivileged swathe of society whose members have become stereotyped by one, hate-filled word: chavs. In this groundbreaking investigation, Owen Jones explores how the working class has gone from salt of the earth to scum of the earth. Exposing the ignorance and prejudice at the heart of the chav caricature, one based on the medias inexhaustible obsession with an indigent white underclass, he portrays a far more complex reality. Moving through Westminsters lobbies and working-class communities from Dagenham to Dewsbury Moor, Jones reveals the increasing poverty and desperation of communities made precarious by wrenching social and industrial change, and all but abandoned by the aspirational, society-fragmenting policies of Thatcherism and New Labour. The chav stereotype, he argues, is used by governments as a convenient figleaf to avoid genuine engagement with social and economic problems, and to justify widening inequality. Based on a wealth of original research, and wide-ranging interviews with media figures, political opinion-formers and workers, Chavs is a damning indictment of the media and political establishment, and an illuminating, disturbing portrait of inequality and class hatred in modern Britain.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Glasgow Headteacher*
post 20th Feb 2012, 07:22am
Post #47

As A N Other Headteacher of a Glasgow secondary, that when approached a couple of years back by the pen pushers of City Chambers with this "concept" they were dying to tell me, I about came out with the Thatcherite response "NO NO NO" however.

Holyrood secondary has sadly let them in and from what I've heard it's about a week from screening.

Looking forward to next weeks telly being printed for that one!

May also be interesting to know the Headteacher of Holyrood's job is up for grabs as well as he retires in June.

+Quote Post
*annon*
post 21st Feb 2012, 09:53pm
Post #48

As a pupil at the school I can honestly say none of us care one way or the other. I personally despise the school I only continue to attend because I want to go to University. That the makers of the show are the same as the scheme gives me hope that the school will be depicted as the rubbish heap it is. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with the classroom teachers (most of them do what they can) but the year heads, senior management, the headmaster etc are 100% out of touch with real teaching. Then there are some of my "peers". Most of the pupils are polarised between neds and seriously obnoxious narcissists, I'd say only a small minority of us are in any way normal. Furthermore, the Headmaster recently announced his retirement at the end of the year just after he had seen the final cut of the show. Coincidence? Not likely. I just hope they don't try and push any "school community" crap on the show. Six years there have taught me this: there is no community only the individual and how they can manipulate those around them.

+Quote Post
GG
post 28th Feb 2012, 08:30am
Post #49

Administrator
Group Icon
Apologies, annon, your post was stuck in the moderation queue for a week.

It's sad that your experience of schooling in Glasgow is not an inspiring one, however, unfortunately, you are not alone! It has been repeatedly shown that Glasgow delivers by far the worst standard of school education in the country, with very few children who attend a school in Glasgow ever achieving anywhere near their potential. Again unfortunately, there is no sign of an improvement in standards in city schools as, despite an increasing gulf between attainment in Glasgow schools and other council areas, there is no desire amongst city politicians to confront the issue.

Still no sign of when the 'Holyrood: High School' show will be shown on television, but must be soon!? Anyone know the date?

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 28th Feb 2012, 12:20pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
With local elections coming up it may be held back to cause as much publicity as possible, a release in the weeks before polling would be interesting with both the SNP and Labour blaming the other for the schools failings..

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 3rd Mar 2012, 03:29pm
Post #51

I am also a pupil at Holyrood secondary and I completely oppose to what the previous 'anon' wrote. I have been a pupil at the school for several years and I could never be more thankful to all the members of staff! The whole SMT - with the exception of one or two - are fantastic! They are always there for the pupils and are constantly trying to raise the standards and improve the potential outcomes for students.

The school covers a VERY diverse and multi-cultural area. On one side you have 'Govanhill' and on the other side you have pupils from areas such as Cathcart and Muirend. Yes, these are hardly the upper class locations of the city but are a long distance away from the living standards of Govanhill.

As a result you face pupils who aspire to work hard and achieve good results and you also are fought with the pupils who frankly do not care about their education at all.

With such a large number of pupils - the challenges to which staff and students are faced with are larger than your average secondary school.

I strongly believe that Holyrood is one of the best secondaries in Glasgow and that each member of staff - whether that be teachers, SMT, Janitors, cleaners or ASL staff - are all a contributory factor as to why Holyrood is great.

N.B. The documentary will be airing on Monday 5th March at 9pm on BBC 1 for three consecutive weeks.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 3rd Mar 2012, 11:28pm
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Now we have two different opinions of Holyrood School what are we to believe. wub.gif

When I lived in Kings Park I akways knew Holyrood as an excellent School. Some parents actually moved house into the catchment area so their children could go to that school.

No doubt what we see on the TV will depend on how the filming is edited. Will we see the good side of it or the bad side of it.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
kenb
post 4th Mar 2012, 05:41am
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
I AGREE HEATHER it will depend on the cutting room floor were most of the good bits on glasgow will no doubt stay tongue.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Mar 2012, 12:08pm
Post #54

Administrator
Group Icon
I'd agree that the editing is all-important, and I'm quite sure that what we will see is a school where standards are generally high and pupils are empowered and successful, i.e. a complete misrepresentaion of education at schools in Glasgow. Remember that this is a local council election year; the stakes are very high, with education one of the key issues over which the politicians contest their campaigns. You can be quite sure that council bosses will not let anything out which is going to hamper their chances of being re-elected.

I predict that 'diversity' will be a big issue in 'High School', as it can be (and frequently is) used as a diversion from dealing with the real underlying issues, of which, sadly, there are many. No doubt we will be told that the school is a success story for multi-cultural integration and achievement.

In terms of the reality, however, Holyrood Secondary School is an above-average Glasgow school and a below-average Scottish school. In the year that the cameras were filming, attainment levels at the school fell fairly drastically, including a 40% drop in the number of pupils achieving five highers. Who knows what effect the cameras had on that outcome?

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Mar 2012, 12:16pm
Post #55

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Guest @ 3rd Mar 2012, 02:34pm) *
... N.B. The documentary will be airing on Monday 5th March at 9pm on BBC 1 for three consecutive weeks.

Thanks, but my understanding is that High School will start on Monday 12th March, showing at 9pm on BBC 1. And talking of dumbing down, BBC Scotland is putting this reality TV programme on to replace Empire, Jeremy Paxman on the history of Britain's imperial past! I think that says it all about the priorities of bosses at Pacific Quay.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 5th Mar 2012, 10:47am
Post #56

When I was at St.Gerard's in the early 60s, we still then, as in later life regarded Holyrood school with reverence and respect. What and who is responsible?

Comprehensive and not selective education. Where the best were reduced to the level of their unachieving peers.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 5th Mar 2012, 07:30pm
Post #57

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (GG @ 4th Mar 2012, 12:21pm) *
BBC Scotland is putting this reality TV programme on to replace Empire, Jeremy Paxman on the history of Britain's imperial past!
GG.

Och, and I thought this was a programme about the history of Jimmy Logan tongue.gif

I have a neighbour who currently teaches at the school so in deference to them I will avoid watching the series.........actually I wouldn't have watched anyway mellow.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Mar 2012, 09:51pm
Post #58

Administrator
Group Icon
Confirmed that it's on the BBC Scotland schedule for this Monay (12th March 2012). The preview clip is available on the following link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00prl7z

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 8th Mar 2012, 11:57pm
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Is it just me thats fed-up with reality/fly on the wall programmes especially from the BBC. The BBC used to make really good documentaries, period dramas, general dramas and brilliant sit-coms. Between reality tv and repeats, I am want to know what I paying my licence fee for. I'm totally peed off with cheap tv. Mary mad.gif

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 9th Mar 2012, 01:28pm
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
We and the wife were just discussing that last night how there is just so much junk on the telly just now and its been like that for years now. e dont watch as mucha s we used to because so much of the reality tv is cheap and crass to watch. The BBC used to have a great name for quality but not now thats for sure. Junk tv most of it!!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.