Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Special Places In Your Life., Glasgow awaits, where to sir/madam?
Rating 4 V
wellfield
post 31st Mar 2014, 01:10am
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (carmella @ 30th Mar 2014, 12:04pm) *
I don't think I've gone off topic posting these here, mainly because I have many places I'd consider special, but for me, when I was a wee lassie, my family frequently went to the theatre - Glasgow had many, and nobody does it better in my opinion - right up to and including for the weans the Pantomime.

So, for me in my heart, it's the Glasgow Theatres which are very nostalgic for me and reminds me of the days when my family were still all alive and kicking - sadly those days are gone. I miss every one of them.

Ya' wee bugger ye!......I watched that Video and the res!t and the rest! and the rest!...couldnie' get aff the page!...ah' wis' in bloody stitches!.....my pals mother was a wee cleaning lady at the 'Empire' in the 50's and the 'Dorothy Paul' one reminded me of the days!!....I think that demure English wifey o' mine is away tae' fetch a straight jacket!.....anyhoo' ah' loved the videos!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 31st Mar 2014, 07:40am
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Och Carmella, ma other bestest favourite Dorothy Paul. We should make her Mrs Glasgow she's an absolute treasure. smile.gif It's a pity about you not getting to the theatre as often as you'd like these days. I know, we are spoiled for choice sometimes here. We go often, especially during the winter months.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 31st Mar 2014, 08:47am
Post #63

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I couldn't resist putting Dorothy in here. I think we all know or knew somebody who was 'Dorothy' and that's what makes it all the funnier.

I'm glad too Campbell that you nearly wet yourself haha. There was an awful good documentary on here last week and probably Melody watched it - it was all about the old Glasgow Empire - the place to be seen in Glasgow until they knocked it down - it was a beautiful theatre and all the big acts of the day had to make it there, or they didn't make it anywhere - big famous names too.

I was a wee lassie and I remember when Roy Rogers and Trigger came - first we saw them at Prestwick Airport, then we saw them in Glasgow - magic days for a wean.

But our Dorothy - taking the role of the theatre cleaner and talking about the turns - where else in the world would you experience that!!

Glad I made you both smile.

There's another wee video of Dorothy taking you back to the streets of Glasgow where she grew up.
And, she pointed out here 'close' saying 'look at that, in my mother's day that close entry would have gleamed, it would be so clean'. Wellfield Street, Dennistoun is her street.

Last time I saw Dorothy was at the Gaiety Theatre in Ayr - she was completely sold out - another great wee theatre and another great night.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
*Guvin Wullie*
post 1st Apr 2014, 03:34am
Post #64

QUOTE (ashfield @ 28th Mar 2014, 10:13am) *
Being a Northsider, Govan was a complete mystery to me when I was wee.

Being born and raised in Possilpark kind of limited the opportunities to see things like "green grun", or grass as I call it now. Springburn Park was always an adventure as was the walk out to St Kentigerns on an occasional Sunday. The things that stick in my memory most from my childhood were the holidays, Helensburgh, Portobello, Ardrossan...........the world was our lobster laugh.gif

When I was wee, I also had great days with my Grandpa when he would take me away for the day by Train, Bus or Steamer to exotic places like Largs, Rothesay, The Trossachs, Ardlui..........the list goes on.

So, the special place in my life..........well, I still live here smile.gif

That is a terrible thing that you hadnae nane experience of what wis ostensibly the capital o' Glesga an wis very nearly but for king Constantine the capitol of Scotland. It wis a center fur pre Roman ( no the kaferlik Romans) wurship an sacrifice and pre dates the rest o Scotland by mony centuries. Noo'a days the atmospheer an' ambiance are o' gone. The ferries, Guvin's link tae the mainland are just aboot done in. The gradouise tennements whaur a' a wis dragged up are gone as weel. It is near oan incomprihensible tae me that there are they oot there who wur no in the loop when it came tae Guvin. The Glesga Undergrun started an' stoaped in Guvin!!!!

+Quote Post
JimC
post 17th Apr 2014, 07:26pm
Post #65

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
I was just browsing through and thought I would mention the last time I saw Dorothy Paul she was wearing a gymslip and siiting behind a school desk with Charlie Simm ( Samuel , who loved his banana) Larry Marshal the class clown and Jimmy Nairn the teacher. All on The One O Clock Gang at the Theatre Royal in Glasgow, aye that was a few years ago.
All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.