Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ' Leisure ' - Hobbies,, Leisure must include hobbies etc?
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Mar 2015, 12:33pm
Post #91

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Aw this talk o' wee boats. I slept in one for the night ... in a seafaring uncle's back garden laugh.gif
My uncle,a retired RN CPO living in Portsmouth, had invited me to live at his place while recouperating from my riding accident during my RAF days. He and his sons all had their wee boats. One of his sons took me for a night-out on the town and somehow we got split up on our nightclub crawl; and he having been told in no uncertain tone by his father and mother to look well after me, so I eventually got a taxi back to my uncle's and for fear of causing problems for my cousin decided to wait in the boat in the garden till I heard him come home ... but must have fallen asleep. rolleyes.gif
We both got laldy laugh.gif
I suppose stranger things have happened at sea. tongue.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rab
post 8th Mar 2015, 04:01pm
Post #92

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
QUOTE (ashfield @ 7th Mar 2015, 08:53am) *
Brilliant Rab, used to love Weymouth. How long did it take you to get back from Guernsey huh.gif

About 19 hours to get there and 23 to get back. A beautiful sail but crossing the shipping lanes in the dark was VERY scary being single-handed, I had to keep awake and alert as them big boats really get a move on and- they canny see you!! sad.gif
This was taken on the return trip towards the Isle of Wight ...

Attached Image

I note that the depth was only 7.8 metes which shows how shallow the Channel can be! yes.gif

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Rab
post 8th Mar 2015, 09:00pm
Post #93

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 7th Mar 2015, 12:50pm) *
Aw this talk o' wee boats. I slept in one for the night ... in a seafaring uncle's back garden
My uncle,a retired RN CPO living in Portsmouth, had invited me to live at his place while recouperating from my riding accident during my RAF days. He and his sons all had their wee boats. One of his sons took me for a night-out on the town and somehow we got split up on our nightclub crawl; and he having been told in no uncertain tone by his father and mother to look well after me, so I eventually got a taxi back to my uncle's and for fear of causing problems for my cousin decided to wait in the boat in the garden till I heard him come home ... but must have fallen asleep. rolleyes.gif
We both got laldy
I suppose stranger things have happened at sea.

Funny you should mention that Tomi!
On another forum (for sailors), someone asked for stories of 'things found floating at sea' whllst we were out sailing.
I think my story won by a margin! I was sailing west in the Solent just north of the Isle of Wight one sunny day when I heard/felt a hellofa 'clunk' at the back of the boat. The steering was jammed, so I dropped the sails and prodded around the erse end with a boathook when to my utter surprise - up popped a long length of drain-roads, all joined up and including the plunger at the end. I sat there scratching my head wondering which plumber somewhere who was clearing someones blocked drains when he lost his rods! Somebody must have flushed as he was at work!
Anyway, they were well-washed and clean by then after who knows how long floating around. I kept and used them for years. yes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 9th Mar 2015, 12:57am
Post #94

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (Rab @ 8th Mar 2015, 09:18am) *
About 19 hours to get there and 23 to get back. A beautiful sail but crossing the shipping lanes in the dark was VERY scary being single-handed, I had to keep awake and alert as them big boats really get a move on and- they canny see you!! sad.gif
This was taken on the return trip towards the Isle of Wight ...

Attached Image

I note that the depth was only 7.8 metes which shows how shallow the Channel can be! yes.gif
Good for you!!

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 10th Mar 2015, 05:42pm
Post #95

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Rab @ 8th Mar 2015, 04:18pm) *

That was a fair trip. Never quite got into sailing, probably because I'm not very good at swimming. We went out once in a rowing boat at Falmouth, there was a regatta on and I wanted to take some photos. I kinda lost track of how far out we had got until the wee boat started going in several directions at once ohmy.gif . Somehow I had managed to get into a place where several currents merged. My rowing back to the harbour would probably have got me considered for the Olympics biggrin.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Mar 2015, 03:38pm
Post #96

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I found some of the photos I took that day, still gives me the heebie-jeebies biggrin.gif
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
brian432
post 11th Mar 2015, 07:32pm
Post #97

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
QUOTE (serabash @ 5th Mar 2015, 08:21pm) *
what's funny brian?

Sorry Serabash, I read the post wrong, and thought you meant he started building it 20 years ago and hadn't finished it yet. blush4.gif

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post
serabash
post 11th Mar 2015, 11:25pm
Post #98

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
that's ok brian I'll let you away wae it wink.gif

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 13th Mar 2015, 11:51am
Post #99

QUOTE (wellfield @ 4th Mar 2015, 02:06am) *
This may not count,but I consider this a hobby (all aluminium welded hull) fishing boat I built in my spare time at my yard for my Grandson, trailer included......being as I built large steel hulled Tug Boats/barges and repaired Ships,erected container gantry cranes,this was a stress relieving hobby for me on the side....this was our launching day!......

Everything you do and build for your own edification is a hobby. On retirement I had great plans to buy a boat ( I can only work in timber and would be reluctant to put to sea where I live on the Coral Sea in anything I built) how ever due to being collected on a cross walk by a clinically blind and probably insane geriatric *&%$ch boating is now beyond me. I cant even fish safely from the rocks now. It even put a dent in the Harley I was going to buy. It's a b@$^@rd when at last you can afford it but can't do it.

I've still got my ships and military models (figures) and still make fine furniture. That boat you built looks very professional Try your hand at an ocean going one. I have a story about a guy who lived near me and did that but it had a sad ending. Don't stop doing what you do well.

+Quote Post
*billy Boil*
post 13th Mar 2015, 12:02pm
Post #100

This is the tale I can tell, about a guy near where I lived, I passed by his house frequently. Apparently he worked for the same Telco as I did and a lot of the technicians knew him and told me about the yacht taking up most of his front yard. It was a very large and luxurious ocean going sail vessel. He had been building it for many years in his spare time and it was to be his retirement gift to himself. I had to admire it as I had been engaged in shipbuilding in my youth, and though I had no knowledge of the hull mechanics I was engaged in fitting out and knew the limitations required building such a craft.

Unfortunately when he finally retired and put it in the water he dropped dead a week later. It was to me a sad, sad thing that has stayed in my memory 30 years after the date.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 13th Mar 2015, 09:23pm
Post #101

Mega City Key Holder
Great stories Ash and Billy!

Another one I 'made earlier' laugh.gif
HMS PEACOCK a Peacock class fast patrol boat for the RN Hong Kong Squadron in the 70s.
Specially built in Aberdeen for the tropics. First RN ship to be fitted with full air-conditioning and special stabliisers making her capable of weathering typhoons!

This one I made with rotating helicopter blades and radar, Morse code sounds and flashing signal lamps made it very realistic. I had an MP3 player with the Royal Marines band in the background.

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 14th Mar 2015, 07:20am
Post #102

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (billy Boil @ 13th Mar 2015, 02:19pm) *
This is the tale I can tell, about a guy near where I lived, I passed by his house frequently. Apparently he worked for the same Telco as I did and a lot of the technicians knew him and told me about the yacht taking up most of his front yard. It was a very large and luxurious ocean going sail vessel. He had been building it for many years in his spare time and it was to be his retirement gift to himself. I had to admire it as I had been engaged in shipbuilding in my youth, and though I had no knowledge of the hull mechanics I was engaged in fitting out and knew the limitations required building such a craft.

Unfortunately when he finally retired and put it in the water he dropped dead a week later. It was to me a sad, sad thing that has stayed in my memory 30 years after the date.

Nothing to do with hobbies Billy but your story reminded me that in the last days of the old Rhodesia there were more ocean going yachts being built in 'back yards' in that country than anywhere else in the world, the people building them had already decided it was time to move on and realising that there would be no value in the local currency after Independence built the yachts and then sailed them to the Caribbean where they would then be sold.

Fantastic models Rab. thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Rab
post 14th Mar 2015, 11:02am
Post #103

Mega City Key Holder
Another of my favourites (hope I am not boring you all!) - my 'Moonbeam' Class yacht which gathers crowds everywhere. Based on a pond yacht built in 1897 it is fitted with radio control for sails and steering and is a very graceful sailer. I have 2 as I like them so much! yes.gif I named her 'VANADIS' after the Norse goddess of beauty - I think you can see why!
It is 51 inches in length to give some idea of scale.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
serabash
post 14th Mar 2015, 12:10pm
Post #104

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
she is beautiful rab.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 14th Mar 2015, 10:28pm
Post #105

Mega City Key Holder
I even found a crew! biggrin.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

Her sister-ship 'POSEIDON'

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.